Tarp
    Sportsman's Guide
    Insulation
    Homemade UQ
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    Images

What is the best way to keep feet warm?

This past Saturday night I went hiking/hammocking on the Locust Fork river, just north of Birmingham, AL. During the night the temp dipped to about 26F. I was fine all night with my sleeping pad under me, and my home-made underquilt under my hammock (I'm not sure it made any difference). My only cold part was my feet, and they got very cold. I was wearing poly socks, with thicker wool socks over them, with sleeves cut from a fleece pullover, over those wool socks.

Even with those 3 layers my feet were freezing. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to keep my feet warmer next time?

The NJ hammock hang was this past weekend and I heard a few people talking about the awesomeness of down booties, both in and out of the bag.

Kayak Karl loves his, and I think Festus has some too.

Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    ZPacks CF
    Insulation
    Te-Wa / HG / WB
    Suspension
    Whoopie Hooks
    Images
    A set of down booties can help.
    “I think that when the lies are all told and forgot the truth will be there yet. It dont move about from place to place and it dont change from time to time. You cant corrupt it any more than you can salt salt.” - Cormac McCarthy

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    My guess, is that less is more. With that many layers on your feet there is a good chance you were restricting blood flow to your feet. It only the outer layer was too tight, it would compress the other two as well. If you're going to use that many layers be sure that they are nice and loose.
    Trust nobody!

Hammock
    Warbonnet BB
    Tarp
    Custom OES BatCave
    Insulation
    JRB quilts
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Try just having one loose fitting layer on your feet and you will stay warmer. To many socks=cold feet. A pair of down booties, as others have suggested, would be a good idea too.

Images
    Down Booties is where it's at!
    Sometimes even a Blind Hog finds an Acorn

Hammock
    DIY bridge, Pertex "Grackle"
    Tarp
    DIY 10x11
    Insulation
    DIY this-n-that
    Suspension
    Whoopie/M-spike
    Images
    Try wearing a plastic grocery bag on each foot, right next to the skin, with a nice insulating sock over it. That's a no-cost way to experiment with vapor barriers for your feet. You'll either love or hate the feeling, but it will deliver warmth as well as keep your insulating layer drier because you're not sweating into it. Since you have two feet, you could experiment with a bag on just one. The difference is remarkable.
    .. truly to enjoy bodily warmth, some small part of you must be cold, for there is no quality in this world that is not what it is merely by contrast. Nothing exists in itself. If you flatter yourself that you are all over comfortable, and have been so a long time, then you cannot be said to be comfortable any more. - Herman Melville

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 dbl + TTTG Switchback
    Tarp
    OES SpinnUL 11x10
    Insulation
    Nest, Hudson River
    Suspension
    Whoopies/Stingerz
    Quote Originally Posted by Roadtorque View Post
    Try just having one loose fitting layer on your feet and you will stay warmer. To many socks=cold feet. A pair of down booties, as others have suggested, would be a good idea too.
    Second the one loose pair, preferably a wool product.
    Rockdawg69

It's a long way to the top if you want to Rock and Roll ----- those hills!!!

Professional Prevaricator: Part-time dealer in Yarns, Tales, Half-Truths, & Outright Lies -1st half-hour session at no cost (Lawyers and Doctors excepted).

Hammock
    Blackbird DL1.1 / ENO DoubleNest
    Tarp
    Speer Winter Tarp
    Insulation
    WntrYeti/Crowsnest
    Suspension
    Whoopie + Webbing
    I agree with the less is more convention. I have yet to need more than 1 pair of thick, comfy wool socks down to 20* (I haven't slept in the hammock lower than this yet). As long as there is some kind of pad under them, and they stay in the foot pocket of my bag, my feet are warm and toasty all night long. I was even barefoot when I was napping (and trying out the new underquilt) at 27* the other day and they didn't get cold at all. If you have your feet elevated at all, it doesn't take a whole lot to slow blood flow to that area.

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    Custom OES
    Insulation
    DIM UQ NoSniv TQ
    Suspension
    JRB Triglide/strap
    Images
    This may seem counter-intuitive, but stay just a little cool. The reasoning behind that, if your feet (or anywhere else) gets too warm, you will sweat, if you sweat you will get wet. You get wet, you get cold.
    Starting out with dry socks will also help.
    After the hang last weekend, those that wore them, swear by down booties: "Well worth the cost in dollars & weight carried!" was one comment. Get the ones that allow you to walk around camp in.
    In an emergency, chemical heat packs can make a huge difference. DO NOT put them on before need, you may get too warm & sweat! Toe warmers if putting in your shoes: open pack, remove & shake the warmers, THEN take your boots/shoes off & put the toe warmers on your socks (Underside seems best) not against bare skin, then slide your boots on. Most toe warmers have a sticky side for ease of attachment. And, if they seem to stop working, take them out & "Mush" them up a bit (the goal is to stir the contents) & maybe a quick shake to reactivate them.
    All other air activated warmers, a good shake before use will help them activate. And, as above: if they seem to stop working, take them out & "Mush" them up a bit (the goal is to stir the contents) & maybe a quick shake to reactivate them.
    When you have a backpack on, no matter where you are, you’re home.
    PAIN is INEVITABLE. MISERY is OPTIONAL.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast