Hammock
    Dream Hammock Raven D/L
    Tarp
    SLD Winter Haven
    Insulation
    0 and 30 Zeppelin
    Suspension
    Cinch Buckles

Functionality of Thick Down Bag for Winter Use?

For those who use a down sleeping bag for their top insulation, how do you find it in terms of ease of use (getting in and out) and overall comfort? I have a Feathered Friends Snowy Owl but I don't know how functional it would be in a hammock. The thing is huge (although ridiculously warm) and can be tricky to get zipped up due to all the down and baffles. For sleeping bag users do you find it to be a pain to get in and out of and to move around/get comfy? Eventually I'd like to get a top quilt for winter use but it's not in the budget at the moment, and I also sleep ridiculously cold (hence the -60* bag)...

Images
    A bag will never be as easy to get into or out of compared to a quilt. However, if you appreciate the extra enclosure in cold temps, it's totally okay to use the bag you have. You can always keep it unzipped and use it as a quilt. The biggest drawback to a -60 bag is the enormous weight and bulk. But just use what you have.

If you sleep cold, be sure to do some research on tips for staying warm that have nothing to do with your gear: eat high fat dinner, get some exercise, hot water bottle, etc.

Hammock
    Dream Hammock Raven D/L
    Tarp
    SLD Winter Haven
    Insulation
    0 and 30 Zeppelin
    Suspension
    Cinch Buckles
    Thanks Leivoia I appreicate the insight. I do a ton of winter camping here in Ontario (Algonquin mainly) so I'm certainly used to the cold. Having said that I've never tried the hammock in the winter so it's on my list of things to try!

Hammock
    6x12 1.6oz Hyper D
    Tarp
    DIY Membrane 9x9
    Suspension
    Straps + Evenk
    Images
    I've never had a problem using a sleeping bag as the TQ, although admittedly I only did that a few times before I moved to a TQ (mostly for weight/space reasons). I ended up rotating the bag 90 degrees and sleeping with the zipper 2/3 undone and underneath me. You laying on the zipper means no drafts, and means you don't have to deal with zipping/unzipping. Just make sure you tuck it around you after you get in, and I think it will be fine.

Used that way, its basically a big top quilt, and I had no difficulty getting in or out of mine in the same situation. However, my bag was nowhere near as bulky, so who knows if the same will work with a -60f bag. My main concern would be the big hood off to one side, but I'm sure you'll get it sorted out pretty quickly.

Anyway, good luck figuring out something that works for you .

Hammock
    Chameleon
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    HG 20 deg UQ, TQ
    Suspension
    webbing
    I started in hammocking with a pad for under insulation and my down sleeping bag as top insulation. I unzipped my bag and used it like a top quilt. It had a foot box that way but I could get in and out easily. the only difference is that the top of the bag is longer than a top quilt so it will cover your head. It worked fine for me, but I went to a TQ for a smaller and lighter piece of equipment for backpacking. Hope that helps.

Hammock
    Warrior Edge UL - LSoH
    Tarp
    'Razor' Hex - LSoH
    Insulation
    LSoH Toaster TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    Various
    Back when I started I used a sleeping bag. Key was to lay it out and sit into it OR get in to the bag standing next to the hammock and then sit into the hammock and swing around the legs. If using a pad... it gets complicated lol.
    Careful if your tucking the zipper under you. The slider can put enough force with your weight to damage the hammock fabric.
    Enjoy the winter. It's a ton of fun!

Hammock
    Dream Hammock Sparrow
    Tarp
    UGQ WD12 & WD13
    Insulation
    UGQ, HG
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Images
    For some reason my down sleeping bag, rated at 20 deg, and top quilt rated the same do not feel the same.
    The UQ is much warmer, as well as easier to use. I also notice the UQ has much better loft. I think it has much better quality down, where the bag may have feathers as part of the fill so not a true 20 deg bag.

Hammock
    DIY 10.5' HyperD 1.6
    Tarp
    Warbonnet, SLD
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WB Straps+Buckles
    Images
    I used a bag for my first year or so. I never understood the problem really. Yes a TQ is obviously easier...but a sleeping bag is basically a top quilt for the bottom half. Just pull it over like a top quilt, then sit up and throw the top half back. Zip up. Not much to it. The mummy hood is always great in the winter.

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    I hope you are not going to try to hike anywhere with that bag! It's over 5 lbs. and $1,000.

You're not going to get anywhere near -60*F in that bag. You'll need some type of underinsulation, because all the down underneath you will be compressed and relatively useless. A pad is probably your best bet, but it's probably going to cause condensation (unless you're one of those rare people who somehow don't get condensation from a vapor barrier - I get condensation even at 60* F, but I gave up on pads at 22* F, converted to an UQ, and haven't used one since!).
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Hammock
    Speers
    Tarp
    Speers
    Insulation
    Jacks R Better
    Suspension
    Webs and Whoopies
    Images
    I don't recommend this but it worked for me. I foolishly believed I could make a peapod out of my old Northface sleeping bag so I created holes at the foot end and in the hood, sealed with grosgrain ribbon. Of course the peapod never worked, too restrictive, but when I went back to using my bag as TQ, I had a face hole! When I flipped it over with the hood over my face, I had just enough of an opening to breathe and see the stars. I backpacked that way all summer and fall, down to 20 degrees in the Sierra with howling winds and me warm as toast.

I'd probably still be doing that if I hadn't finally saved enough to get another Jacks R Better and started using the hot water in my Nalgene. If I can ever afford a "knotty mod" hammock, I might go back to using the bag when it's really cold. The big problem with the bag was having it fall out of the foot end and the mod fixes that.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast