Dutch Half Zip
    Tarp
    HG Cuben w/ doors
    Insulation
    HG 40degree quilts
    Suspension
    whoppie slings

Help with a tarp decission

I have seriously been working on reducing my pack weight this year and so far have upgraded my quilts, pack, and my hammock to lighter models. Next up is a new tarp. After selling a few pieces of old gear I have the money for a cuben fiber tarp and am pretty sold on Hammock Gear's stuff after buying 2 quilts from them(but am open to other companies as well). I have been using my stock claytor diamond tarp that came with my hammock since 2007 and it has served me wonderfully.

The decision I need help with is should I buy the tarp with doors or just the standard cat cut tarp with no doors?

Here is how I am currently looking at it. I backpack mostly 3 season but have done some winter trips in years past. I have never gotten wet with my diamond tarp so is it really worth the extra weight and hassle of the doors? The doors look cool but it means carrying extra cord to tie them off and stakes to hold them in place in addition to the few extra ounces they weigh plus it ads another minute or 2 for set up. I have not camped much with a down underquilt but I will going forward so maybe the added protection of the doors is worth it. The price difference is about $70 but I don't mind spending the extra money for the right gear.

I lean toward no doors but keep going back and forth in my mind. Any recommendations are welcome.
    "The mountains are calling and I must go."
    John Muir

“I only went out for a walk and finally concluded to stay out till sundown, for going out, I found, was really going in.”
    John Muir

Hammock
    11' 1.2 Robic XL
    Tarp
    Misc DIY ones
    Insulation
    Downy Goodness
    Suspension
    UHMWPE Straps
    Images
    This is just my $0.02, so take it for what it is worth. I don't see doors as a winter vs. 3 season thing. I've seen only minimal warmth improvement with doors (but it will admittedly cut down on airflow). I see the doors as more foul weather vs. fair weather. Are you a fair weather backpacker or do you go out when it's raining sideways and Dorothy is calling to you from the other side? If you go rain or shine and do a lot of a bad weather camping, then doors are definitely worth it. If you only go when the sun is shining and there's less than a 40% chance of rain, you may find them tucked back and away more than deployed...and then they're only taking up space.

Or if you feel the need to spend the money either way, the weight difference is only 2.32 oz. It all depends how much weight you're trying to actually lose versus where you plan to go.

For more insight, Sintax77 just put out a video on this very subject. Check it out!
    Last edited by Wanderlost; 09-12-2017 at 12:59.
    73 de W4BKR

Not all who wander are lost... - J.R.R. Tolkein
    ...Besides, if we get lost, we just pull in somewheres and ask directions - Captain Ron

The ever striving gram weenie...always updated with the next trip

Images
    Or get the hex and use a Grizz beak when needed. Or fashion one from your poncho, a bit of tyvek or a polycryo Ground sheet.

--
    Gadget

Hammock
    Warbonnet RR / BlackbirdXLC
    Tarp
    SimplyLightDesigns
    Insulation
    Lynx / LocoLibre
    Suspension
    webbing/buckles
    Images
    I'm a doors type of guy especially if you are going to spend the dollars on Cuben. The doors are best used to block wind from coming down the tarp tunel and as was previously stated the weight is negligible. The bulk on the other hand isn't so that's a consideration as well.

Hammock
    Dutchware Chameleon
    Tarp
    UGQ Winderdream
    Insulation
    EE Enigma/Revolt
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Quote Originally Posted by Wanderlost View Post
    This is just my $0.02, so take it for what it is worth. I don't see doors as a winter vs. 3 season thing. I've seen only minimal warmth improvement with doors (but it will admittedly cut down on airflow). I see the doors as more foul weather vs. fair weather. Are you a fair weather backpacker or do you go out when it's raining sideways and Dorothy is calling to you from the other side? If you go rain or shine and do a lot of a bad weather camping, then doors are definitely worth it. If you only go when the sun is shining and there's less than a 40% chance of rain, you may find them tucked back and away more than deployed...and then they're only taking up space.

Or if you feel the need to spend the money either way, the weight difference is only 2.32 oz. It all depends how much weight you're trying to actually lose versus where you plan to go.

For more insight, Sintax77 just put out a video ont his very subject. Check it out!
    Agreed with this. I opted for doors on my new tarp for my AT thruhike next year. When rain is torrential, the dry peace of mind from doors will be nice for the minimal added weight.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by neim0003 View Post
    Agreed with this. I opted for doors on my new tarp for my AT thruhike next year. When rain is torrential, the dry peace of mind from doors will be nice for the minimal added weight.

Neim hit the nail on the head; it's like 90% about peace of mind.

I just finished an AT thru with the standard hex tarp (Cuben all the way) w/o doors. Despite record setting rainfall the lack of doors was really only an issue once, during a crazy 15 min storm that got the foot end of my hammock wet.

So I was happy with just the hex tarp, however, if I were to do it again I wouldn't just get the doors, I'd get the winter palace just for al the space and that wonderful peace of mind.

Hammock
    Hybrid 1.7 GE, Happy Medium Bridge
    Tarp
    DIY Xenon Winter
    Insulation
    Loco Libre Gear
    Suspension
    All of them! Ugh.
    Images
    I have the HG standard with doors. All three of my tarps have doors. Guess I'd just prefer to have the coverage than not. If you're going to forego the doors but carry other materials (uqp, beaks etc) to compensate, you may just as well have the doors. With CF it's probably the lighter option anyway. Get it with the tiebacks so they stay out of the way until you need them.

On a recent trip to Maine I spent two nights on the edge of Flagstaff Lake. The weather was very, um, changable. I had left the doors open, but in the middle of the first night we got a horrendous thunder storm with the wind blowing hard from a direction I least anticipated. I was in a wind tunnel. I got up, shut the doors quickly before any significant amount of rain blew through. The following night we had high winds with light rain, but it came from the woods side this time, not the lake. This was car camping so I had my DIY xenon tarp set up, not the CF. I did carry the CF up to Avery Peak, just in case we got caught in a sudden downpour. Even when backpacking, the extra couple of ounces are worth it to me.

I had my arc haul built with a tall mariposa style left side pocket. It's perfect for carrying tarps, poles and hammock suspension.

Hammock
    Dutch Half Zip
    Tarp
    HG Cuben w/ doors
    Insulation
    HG 40degree quilts
    Suspension
    whoppie slings
    Does anyone make a cuben fiber grizz beak?
    "The mountains are calling and I must go."
    John Muir

“I only went out for a walk and finally concluded to stay out till sundown, for going out, I found, was really going in.”
    John Muir

Hammock
    WB XLC 1.7 DL
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    HG Inc10°/Bur10°
    Suspension
    Webbing/Buckles
    Images
    Get the doors vote. Minimal weight difference and your shelter is not the place I would skimp if it was me. I have a tarp with doors and one without...if I had to have one...it would be with doors.
    “The word hammockable (Meaning: two trees that are the perfect distance apart between which a hammock can be hung) is not in the dictionary, but it should be.”

Images
    My favorite tarp is my DIY, it's hex at one end and has doors at the other.
    I realised I never closed the doors at both ends. In high winds, I pitch the tarp with the doors facing the oncoming wind, catches less wind than going side on to it... and I still have a view!
    (as long as there is a view downwind)

--
    Gadget

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast