Hammock
    Wilderness Logics Night Owl
    Tarp
    Chinook 12x9.6
    Insulation
    DIY UQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Daisy Chains
    This post reminds me of one by member "Fungus" from a few years ago......

I have hung in the mangroves many times, both in the lower Keys and in the Everglades. I highly recommend it. Be sure to get set up before dark and watch out for dead roots, only walk on the live healthy ones or you will go down fast, very fast! After dark shine your light down into the roots and you will see a hundred eyes looking back at you, wolf spiders I think, but they seem to keep their distance. If there are boards around make a walkway under your hammock to give you a little flat ground.

There's not too many creepies that bother me all that much but a bunch of spiders looking back at me while hanging from mangroves? Uh, no.

Hammock
    HG,Dutch,XLC ,RR
    Tarp
    Superfly, AH hex,
    Insulation
    HG, Snugpak, SLD
    Suspension
    Whoopie Ti toggle
    Images
    I've used Permethrin AND Picaridin on every single piece of gear I use that they could come in contact with, tarps, hammocks, exterior of UQ's, UQP, bug nets, all of it and they just drink the **** stuff and then spit it at their pray to let me know what they think of me and what they wanna do to me lol. Ive sprayed my whole yard, house and trees with stuff to kill their food supply and they just give me a big middle finger while spinning a web from tarp RL to bug net. Ive even had Terminix come bi monthly and even they can't help.. So other than firebombing my whole property, house, hammock, trees and all, ive just got to live with it and NEVER , EVER leave my rig unzipped or go netless until its a frozen tundra outside and quiet enough to hear a mouse fart on the other side of the bay 1.5 miles away! And under the right conditions, in the still of a frigid deep winter night I can hear people talk, clear as day as if they were 10 feet away that are on the other side. Then and only then will I feel safe enough to not use a net. But by then its cold enough to use the winter cover on my XLC or my XL travel sock so I still won't do it that often lol.
    " The best pace is a suicide pace, and today looks like a good day to die." ~ Steve Prefontaine

Hammock
    My own design
    Tarp
    Made myself
    Insulation
    The one I made
    Suspension
    Yup, made ‘em
    Images
    I seriously need to rethink my rig for the MD trail cleanup
    I sew things on youtube.
    I don’t sew on commission, so please don’t ask. Thanks.

Hammock
    Warbonnet RR / BlackbirdXLC
    Tarp
    SimplyLightDesigns
    Insulation
    Lynx / LocoLibre
    Suspension
    webbing/buckles
    Images
    This is not right. It's time to move if you can't move the critters One must be able to hang in peace or what good is hanging.

I'm guessing the bug net is definitely an item to bring.... Geez, I sprayed my net with Permethrin before I went to Trap Pond ---- sounds like that won't stop those monster critters you've got around there tho.

Hammock
    diy
    Tarp
    diy
    Insulation
    diy quilt sets
    Suspension
    diy whoopies
    Images
    Maybe it's time to contact Rome to schedule an exorcism?
    ...it could be worse....they could have laid eggs!

Seriously though....I feel for ya....hope your luck changes soon.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird XLC
    Tarp
    UGQ Winterdream 12
    Insulation
    HG Incubator 0°
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Lol. Great story, Chesapeake. The honest posts help people understand they're not alone in their irrational fears.

I certainly don't want bugs crawling all over me, but I'm definitely not to this level. But our new Lone Star tick problem is definitely not helping me.
    "From form to form, beauty to beauty, ever changing, never resting, all are speeding on with love's enthusiasm, singing with the stars the eternal song of creation."

Images
    Lolz...
    [Ozzy Accent]Ya big drama-queen![/Ozzy Accent]

--
    Gadget

Hammock
    HG,Dutch,XLC ,RR
    Tarp
    Superfly, AH hex,
    Insulation
    HG, Snugpak, SLD
    Suspension
    Whoopie Ti toggle
    Images
    They haven't been that bad lately, ever since I stopped hanging from that one tree its gotten better. Ive also been only using my tarp if it starts to rain. If its gonna be nice I haven't been pitching it at all and if there's a chance of rain I'll get it set up and then flip on side over so when I feel rain its ready to go. Doing that has kept the webs down since they don't have such a perfect place to put them . I also retreated everything with Permethrin & Picaridin and have been using my UCO candle lantern with citronella to keep their food source away. Its gotten to a manageable level now and I only get a few tiny spiders and webs on my suspension and XLC pull out lines now. But the open zipper made me freak bc all I could think of was getting in and having one be in my TQ or hidden in the whipping folds lol. I didn't see any in there though. Oh and Tigg/Jelly, idk what you were planning on using but a net is a must ! and one that zips as opposed to a fronky style is even better lol. I will do my best to mow the area we are gonna hang in as short as I can get it, that should help keep them away too.
    " The best pace is a suicide pace, and today looks like a good day to die." ~ Steve Prefontaine

Quote Originally Posted by Chesapeake View Post
    I quickly realized that I migh have to burn my whole rig to the ground, right there between the trees, since I had a code 4 security breach of my zipper and any number of evil, creepy, poisonous, rabid, flesh eating, blood sucking insects or small face eating animals could have set up a new home in the small inner folds of my hammocks whipping or nestled in the warm dark corners deep inside my CDT TQ.
    There is no need to burn your rig down. Just put it in a hermetically sealed container and ship it to me. I will zap it with an electronic current and bath it in an microwave beam to clear it of alien zenomorphs, an then put it through a rigorous, year long series of quality control events in an environment that closely mimics your own. Only after I am satisfied that your XLC is "safe" will I attach a seal of approval and return it to you. And for this service, I will grant you "no charge".

We aim to please.
    / \ /+\
    | ||
    |-|| ___
    | ||
    | | \__|

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast