Hammock
    DIY 11' Single Layer Netless
    Tarp
    Kelty Noah's 12
    Insulation
    MummyBag/Gemini UQ
    Suspension
    Straps & June Bugs
    2 a.m. 43 degrees F. Chilly toes and shoulders. Slipped into the house quick to put on my mid weight fleece base layer and switched poncho liner from underquilt to top insulation inside my sleeping bag. Still time to get some sleep.

P.S. the stars in the night sky are so beautiful I'm not sure why anyone would want to sleep in a tent...

Hammock
    Tarp
    Kelty Noah's 12
    Insulation
    MummyBag/Gemini UQ
    Suspension
    Straps & June Bugs
    Woke up again at 5 a.m. Temperature got down to 40 or 41 F. Everything was warm except my feet were still cold...cold enough I probably wasn't going to get any more sleep so I decided to throw in the towel.

Lessons learned for next time:

Poncho liner can be warm, but doesn't really cut down on the breeze and is best used inside my bag for colder nights.

Even without an under quilt, my backside was fine using just the RidgeRest. It was just to narrow to keep my shoulders warm. The mid weight fleece took care of that problem.

I need to find a way to keep my feet a bit warmer. I might try my Intermediate Cold bag from my MSS next time. Its probably equivalent to a 10 or 20 degree F bag and has an overstuffed foot box.
    Last edited by DylanC; 09-30-2017 at 09:37.

Hammock
    Half-wit (3 season), Chameleon (win
    Tarp
    Superfly, Thunderf
    Insulation
    EE Revelation 20*,
    Suspension
    Whoopie!
    I made a Gemini for my first project, and I have to say that I absolutely love it. I use the two pieces separate for anything over 65* (I'm a warm sleeper) then combine them for a shoulder season UQ and use an old Army sleeping bag and splay it open as a TQ for anything over 30*. I haven't tried lower yet, but I have a heavier Army sleeping bag that I can swap out and convert my Gemini to winter mode. In that setup, I'm pretty confident I could get down into the teens, maybe lower.

In short, the Gemini works well, it's cheap, and you'll enjoy using it because you made it and it wasn't very difficult.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hammock
    Tarp
    Kelty Noah's 12
    Insulation
    MummyBag/Gemini UQ
    Suspension
    Straps & June Bugs
    Quote Originally Posted by TxAggie View Post
    In short, the Gemini works well, it's cheap, and you'll enjoy using it because you made it and it wasn't very difficult.
    I like the idea of making the Gemini because it will probably get me to the temperature I want and it is modular for use in warmer weather... the problem is finding the blankets. I haven't been looking for very long but I can't seem to find them for $20 each like most people seem to be. And I wouldn't pay more than that because you can get a diy kit for a 5 oz. Climashield UQ from RBTR for under $70 that will get to the same low temps, just without the warm weather flexibility.

Hammock
    Tarp
    Kelty Noah's 12
    Insulation
    MummyBag/Gemini UQ
    Suspension
    Straps & June Bugs
    So I took the plunge and built a Gemini set last week. I was able to do some backyard testing last night down to 39 deg. F. I was using my poncho liner and USGI Patrol Bag with bivy cover for top insulation and the Gemini in 2-layer Spring/Fall mode underneath. For clothing I was wearing a silk-weight Polartec base layer, wool socks, and fleece beanie. I wouldn't say I was toasty, but I was certainly comfortable. At least I was until 4:30 when I woke up with cold feet and a full bladder. Even with the cold feet, the rest of me was "just right", as Goldilocks would say. I'll probably give it another go with my mid-weight Polartec fleece layer and 2 pair of socks on and try to push down to 30 degrees in the next days/weeks.

Images
    For what it's worth, I almost always end up with cold feet by 4am regardless of conditions, even in my own bed. Oversized expedition weight wool socks work good, but I don't usually want to carry the extra weight in most seasons.

I slept out in the backyard last weekend to give my DIY Costco underquilt and new tarp a test run. The weather was great; no wind and the temperature got down to 40F. I borrowed one my kids Koppen +30F sleeping bags because mine is a mummy without a zipper. I was dressed in athletic socks, run of the mill zip off hiking pants, t-shirt, light weight pull over and a stocking cap (no hair). Never had an issue and was warm all night. I had the tarp in "front porch mode" so I had a nice view of the woods. I also have Raynaud's disease, and my fingers and toes stayed warm all night!

Hammock
    Tarp
    Kelty Noah's 12
    Insulation
    MummyBag/Gemini UQ
    Suspension
    Straps & June Bugs
    Update: Tested my Gemini at 29 deg F. last night in "Winter Mode" and slept comfortably...not toasty but not cold. Whole system included the Gemini as well as my USGI Patrol Bag w/ Bivy cover, poncho liner with improvised foot-box inside my sleeping bag, mid-weight fleece base layer for clothing, fleece beanie, and plain-old socks and insulated boot liners on my feet. To be clear, 30 degrees is really pushing it for this sleeping bag, but that's the point. I'm trying to see how low I can go without using the "intermediate cold" bag that is part of the system. The only part of me that got cold was my feet. I'm still working on that, but I'm calling this a success. My original goal was to make it to 30 degrees and be "not miserable," which I was able to do last night. I may do some testing with the same basic setup on my LuxuryLite cot just to compare the Gemini to my RidgeRest pad, but that will be just for kicks. I may also get out my intermediate cold sleeping bag and see if I can set some new personal records for low temps...again, "just for fun."

Hammock
    DH Thunderbird; Old Hennessys
    Tarp
    HG Cuben; MacCat
    Insulation
    JRB top & bottom
    Suspension
    hammock anchor;UCR
    Keeping feet warm is one of the greatest difficulties of cold-weather camping. Here are some of my standards for the White Mtns in NH, where I've hammocked down into the -20's (F):
    a. Take an extra pair of socks and figure to rotate socks. Just before bedding down, change into tomorrow's socks & then put on the socks that you are rotating out of, so that you are wearing two pairs for the night.
    b. In very cold circumstances, take down or synthetic booties as another layer over your socks.
    In general, pay more attention to under-the-hammock insulation than over-quilts. Sleeping in your puffy jacket/parka is insulating where your body is not compressing it.

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Warm feet....warm heart....
    Shug

Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven