HG,Dutch,XLC ,RR
    Tarp
    Superfly, AH hex,
    Insulation
    HG, Snugpak, SLD
    Suspension
    Whoopie Ti toggle
    Images
    Snugpak UQ, TQ & Cocoon are synthetic , all under $60 and will get you down to 30° . OneTigris has a 10° synthetic UQ that's around $55. I'm not good with sewing yet , but wanted a CDT set. So I kept checking the for sale section until a CDT TQ and an unmodified blanket popped up. I asked if he could make me an overstuffed UQ with the other blanket and a week later I had a set of quilts that was exactly what I was looking for. I added some down to the TQ recently and now they are both overstuffed. But both the Snugpak and OneTigris quilts are decent. A little on the heavy side, but I don't mind.
    " The best pace is a suicide pace, and today looks like a good day to die." ~ Steve Prefontaine

I've had good results using a poncho liner as a pod. That is, I wrap it around the hammock like a cocoon or a winter sock. You would be in the hammock and the poncho liner would enclose you. I like to tie it loosely at the foot end so it doesn't slide down. It creates a tent effect with its own micro climate. Use your pad and other insulation inside the hammock.
    "...the height of hammock snobbery!"

Hammock
    Dutchware Chameleon 1.6 Wide
    Tarp
    CubenFibre 12" HEX
    Insulation
    incubator 20
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    When i first started hammocking the cheapest option to buy was a reflective car Windshield Shade, the kind you put in the front window to keep the interior from super heating.
    they are a space blanket printed on thin closed cell foam, in a single layer hammock you lay on top of it inside and a dual layer you put it between the sleeves.
    any matress of the thermarest variety will work it is just less comfy then an underquilt.

camping in canada in may it gets down to about 35 just above freezing and this option worked well.
    its thin it bends with you and the emergency blanket coating reflects your heat back to you. it also does not crinkle like a space blanket as its plastered to the foam.
    walmart USA lists then for as little as $5, $10 in stock

it all depends on how crafty and what you have already i moved on to a underquilt as i am 6'6" and the shades are not

Hammock
    SLD Trail Lair 1.1 Dual Layer
    Tarp
    3F UL Gear
    Insulation
    Gemini System
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    No-sew Costco down Gemini underquilt system. Well under $100, and warm.
    http://leiavoia.net/pages/hammock/geminiquilt.html

Hammock
    DIY 11' Single Layer Netless
    Tarp
    Kelty Noah's 12
    Insulation
    MummyBag/Gemini UQ
    Suspension
    Straps & June Bugs
    Thanks for all the great ideas. I like the poncho liner suggestions because its gear I've already got, but the reflectixe would certainly be inexpensive as well. I also took another look at both the DIY and low-cost underquilts based on the suggestions. Both look more appealing and budget friendly than I had remembered. I'll keep posting as I try new setups and let everyone know what I end up with.

Thanks again!

Hammock
    Varies
    Tarp
    GargoyleGear Ogee
    Insulation
    UQ-varies w/season
    Suspension
    Dutchgear
    Almost everyone ends up with a decent underquilt. You can spend a lot of time, money, and less-than-comfortable nights getting there, or take the direct route, which is cheaper in the long run.
    Dave

"Loneliness is the poverty of self; solitude is the richness of self."~~~May Sarton

Hammock
    DIY Gathered End---1.6 Hexon D
    Tarp
    HG Journey (11')
    Insulation
    DIY w/ CDTs
    Suspension
    various
    Oldgringo makes an excellent point, but I am still on the slow road. For myself, I am making a Gemini quilt set following the directions listed above. For my wife, who is allergic to down, I've modded those directions for use with an eight-dollar synthetic sleeping bag from Academy Sports. At 2.5 pounds, it's a bit heavy for backpacking, but we're new to hammock camping and will be doing some car-based shakedown trips before we have to face real considerations of weight.

Expensive or homemade Under quiĺts can be avoided by using a spare sleeping bag under your hammock. Either pick up some tarp anchors or use the classic pebble and a rope trick.

I have a costco down throw converted as an under quilt. An i'll supliment it with reflectix and or foam. Ì've slept comfortably in an unheated garage at -15C

Sent from my SM-A500W using Tapatalk

Hammock
    tablecloth for now
    Tarp
    Harbor Freight
    Insulation
    Blue Foam
    Suspension
    Web & Mule Tape
    Ok, first don't take me too seriously because I'm a newbie also, and I'm cheap (retired also) and I like to do it myself.

First hammock hang was this spring - weather was going to be in the 40's per historical weather - my thought was my old closed cell foam pad and a couple of harbor freight moving blankets for base layer - first night was a little cold - I was in two sleeping bags - one a 60's vintage with the green patrol bag from MSS - was suggested that I use the reflective auto cover in my base layer - I put it in the next night and slept warm - when I got up everything was covered in frost - so it got down to at least 32 and I was fine. - next hang was down past tucson and it wasn't as cold so didn't need the reflective barrier.

Next hang in two weeks - I have purchased a air pad (non-insulated) and a pad bag that has reflective material on one side
    and cloth on the over (2 go systems R.E. Cover EL Wide 77x25) which I plan on taking with me and I cut some reflectix to fit in the bag on the reflective side to double down. I also plan on taking a quilt (king size 2nd hand) and some of the stationary clamps so I can attach as a pseudo under quilt - my problem is I can't test as it's 90 deg at night in my back yard.

Some video's (other than Shug's which are great) to think about.

to to 17 min mark...

Last edited by Artful; 09-16-2017 at 18:16.

Hammock
    DIY 11' Single Layer Netless
    Tarp
    Kelty Noah's 12
    Insulation
    MummyBag/Gemini UQ
    Suspension
    Straps & June Bugs
    Just crawled in the hammock for another test run. It's 45 feg. F right now and should get down to 40 degrees. F tonight. Only change I've made to my setup is to hang my poncho liner as an under quilt. I've folded it in half and it seems to fit well as a 3/4 length quilt. But just because it fits doesn't mean it's going to be warm. I'll be honest...i love my woobie but when I set everything up earlier this afternoon there was a slight breeze that seemed to cut right through it. I'll know for sure in the morning, I guess.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast