DIY 11' Single Layer Netless
    Tarp
    Kelty Noah's 12
    Insulation
    MummyBag/Gemini UQ
    Suspension
    Straps & June Bugs

Newbie Looking for Creative (ie. CHEAP!) Keep-Warm Ideas

Let me start by giving some background about myself. I spent 20 years in the Army/National guard (recently retired) and spent ALOT of time sleeping outdooors, usually on the ground or on a cot (standard army cot or ThermaRest LuxuryLite). I was using my issued Modular Sleep System bivy and bags, with a poncho liner. This is the gear I still have. In 20 years, nobody ever explained to me the theory behind a sleeping pad. As a result, I never used one and was ALWAYS cold (or at least chilly) when the temps got much under 50 F. This is with a goretex bivy, my intermediate bag, my patrol (lightweight) bag, poncho liner, mid-weight polartec fleece base layer, and silk-weight polartec base layer...and a fleece hat. The Army says I should've been able to survive down to -30F, but I was butt-cold at +30F.

Fast-forward to the present. I now understand the importance of insulation underneath of me, I've been experimenting in my backyard with a knock-off double hammock, and I'm planning a trip to the Boundary Waters Canoe Area (northern MN, Canadian border) next September where the "average" low is ~40 F. So I'm trying to perfect my sleep system to be comfortable at 40F, and "not miserable" at 30F. So far I've had luck down to 47F just a few days ago with the following:

Hammock, no tarp or bug net (yet)
    Bivy cover with patrol bag (probably a 40F rated bag by normal standards)
    Poncho liner somewhere in the bag with me, usually wadded up by my feet.
    Thermarest RidgeRest (R 2.2) slid underneath me, between the bivy and bag.
    silk-weight polartec base layer with wool socks and fleece beanie.

My last night at 47F went well, but I have a feeling I'm at the limit of that exact setup. As the temps cool off this fall I'm going to keep experimenting with this system down to 30F. Right now the only things I have "in reserve" are to add my mid-weight fleece and to give a bit more structure to the poncho liner so as to use it as a light "top quilt" inside of my bag. I also plan on pitching a tarp, but I haven't needed it yet. The goretex bivy is a great wind-break. Two other items I own but that are not good options are my intermediate sleeping bag and a wool blanket that I used in place of the ThermaRest RidgeRest prior to purchasing that piece of gear. Both are WAY to bulky/heavy to be practical for anything but backyard or car-camping.

So I'm looking for ways to get creative and keep comfortable without spending much money (ie. NO $100 DOWN QUILTS). For example, reflectix looks promising, but how much can I expect from that? What about a self-inflating pad with an R value of ~3.5-ish? Other thoughts? I can use a sewing machine, but a DIY Costco quilt is probably not within my skillset.

TIA,

DylanC

Hammock
    Chameleon
    Tarp
    DIY (Olive Oyl)
    Insulation
    [allergic to down]
    Images
    You can get some quite inexpensive "comforters" at Ikea and convert them into underquilts that can stack. See thread https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...ilt-(under-25) -- I have not completed documenting my process, but many things could be done with these really inexpensive items!

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Pads will do ya' just fine. I like my REI Stratus insulated pad.
    Here is some intel for your perusal.
    Shug

Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    Warbonnet RR / BlackbirdXLC
    Tarp
    SimplyLightDesigns
    Insulation
    Lynx / LocoLibre
    Suspension
    webbing/buckles
    Images
    Are you canoeing/kayaking at the BW? If so you can take covers/pads/reflectix /etc to try to stay warm as you do not have to worry about the weight like you do when backpacking. One warning on using reflectix. It can backfire on your in really cool/cold weather where it keeps you warm at first and then the moisture will freeze you later at night.

Hammock
    Tarp
    Kelty Noah's 12
    Insulation
    MummyBag/Gemini UQ
    Suspension
    Straps & June Bugs
    Quote Originally Posted by P-Dub View Post
    You can get some quite inexpensive "comforters" at Ikea and convert them into underquilts that can stack. See thread https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...ilt-(under-25) -- I have not completed documenting my process, but many things could be done with these really inexpensive items!
    How cold are you planning to try to get with this? When reading about the Costco quilts, it seems that most folks think they're limited to ~50F.

Hammock
    Tarp
    Kelty Noah's 12
    Insulation
    MummyBag/Gemini UQ
    Suspension
    Straps & June Bugs
    Quote Originally Posted by TrailSlug View Post
    Are you canoeing/kayaking at the BW? If so you can take covers/pads/reflectix /etc to try to stay warm as you do not have to worry about the weight like you do when backpacking. One warning on using reflectix. It can backfire on your in really cool/cold weather where it keeps you warm at first and then the moisture will freeze you later at night.
    Condensation should be reduced if i keep it outside of my bivy...would it still insulate as well if used like that?

Hammock
    Tarp
    Kelty Noah's 12
    Insulation
    MummyBag/Gemini UQ
    Suspension
    Straps & June Bugs
    Quote Originally Posted by Shug View Post
    Pads will do ya' just fine. I like my REI Stratus insulated pad.
    Here is some intel for your perusal.
    Shug
    Shug! Love your videos. That one was actually what prompted me to buy the RidgeRest ($20 at the local Scheels). I looked at some of the insulated inflatable pads, but there are self-inflating types that have higher R vales for the same cost. For example the ThermaRest Trail Scout (R 3.4) is only $50. Plus the mummy shape would fit great in my bivy. Do you think the Stratus would be warmer? Would you feel OK using it down to 30F with no underquilt? I've also watched your video for the -40F camp out in Ely, so if you say it keeps you warm, I'll take your word for it.

Thanks for all your other videos, too. Next year I'll plan on stopping by to see your show at the State Fair. If memory serves, I may have seen you there a year or two ago now that I think about it.

Hammock
    6x12 1.6oz Hyper D
    Tarp
    DIY Membrane 9x9
    Suspension
    Straps + Evenk
    Images
    For what its worth, I've been using a klymit insulated static v lite for years now in my hammock. It is rated with an r value of 4.4. I've used it several times into the mid to low 30's, and it's been fine. I was always colder from above than I was beneath. I'm not recommending the pad, as It's out of your budget, but from an r value perspective, it may help you to some extent.

Condensation is something to think about. I've had some, but nothing as bad as what others suggest they have had.

Another thing to think about is what the low temps might be. The avg may be 40f, but id plan on the lows being at least maybe 10f lower to make sure you don't get caught out in storm or something.

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by DylanC View Post
    Shug! Love your videos. That one was actually what prompted me to buy the RidgeRest ($20 at the local Scheels). I looked at some of the insulated inflatable pads, but there are self-inflating types that have higher R vales for the same cost. For example the ThermaRest Trail Scout (R 3.4) is only $50. Plus the mummy shape would fit great in my bivy. Do you think the Stratus would be warmer? Would you feel OK using it down to 30F with no underquilt? I've also watched your video for the -40F camp out in Ely, so if you say it keeps you warm, I'll take your word for it.

Thanks for all your other videos, too. Next year I'll plan on stopping by to see your show at the State Fair. If memory serves, I may have seen you there a year or two ago now that I think about it.
    Stratus has a 2.9 R Value that is rated to around 28º for ground sleeping. You lose a little in a hammock.
    Think it would be OK at 30º
    Shug
    Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    Chameleon
    Tarp
    DIY (Olive Oyl)
    Insulation
    [allergic to down]
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by DylanC View Post
    How cold are you planning to try to get with this? When reading about the Costco quilts, it seems that most folks think they're limited to ~50F.
    I have not tested it yet, and intend on making multiple versions that can snap together to cover lower temps. I'm pretty sure the doubled twin will take me below 50F, but I will be reporting on that soon! (Nights here are hitting mid 40's, and I'll be out in the yard at night in a couple of days.) It is thicker than the SnugPak Jungle Blanket, and IIRC some folks here have used that as an UQ and gone down into the 40's with it, so I am hopeful about the Hygge Hugger.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast