Mayan / Freebird
    Tarp
    SLD Custom
    Insulation
    UGQ 30*F / 0*F
    Suspension
    Whoopie / fleaz
    Quote Originally Posted by Time to Hang View Post
    I'd like to try one of the Mayan hammocks, they look very comfy, but don't want to end up looking like an aged ham if I stay in it too long! The Brazilian I have is made of cotton and seems very durable, but the fabric isn't nearly as soft as you would think cotton would be. Maybe that could account for some of the OP's discomfort???
    Enjoy
    Ha ha ha ha!!!! Actually, when you're laying in them to sleep the weave comes closer together. It's just when it's sprawled out in sitting, hang-out mode that there's danger in hamming things up. I'm usually fully clothed by that time though.

EDIT: I should add, it was suggested to buy the largest Mayan or Brazilian hammock I could afford, and since the Jumbo was on sale, I went for it. If I had bought a single or double, there would be more need to stretch it out, resulting in needing to stretch it out more and having more open holes you see when stretched out on the pics.
    Last edited by Singingcrowsings; 09-10-2017 at 06:42.

Hammock
    Amok XL
    Tarp
    TBD
    Suspension
    Tensa
    RE: Bridge Hammocks

"They are noticeably tippy. And one of the things I like about gathered end hammocks is how secure I feel when lying in them. It's pretty much impossible to fall out - that's not the case with bridge hammocks."

Having owned 5 or 6 bridge hammocks I'll say that not all of them are tippy and easy to fall out of.

stable2.jpg

Try that with a BMBH or Grizz Bridge

Hammock
    Towns-End Luxury Bridge
    Quote Originally Posted by Danalex View Post

"They are noticeably tippy. And one of the things I like about gathered end hammocks is how secure I feel when lying in them. It's pretty much impossible to fall out - that's not the case with bridge hammocks."

Having owned 5 or 6 bridge hammocks I'll say that not all of them are tippy and easy to fall out of.

stable2.jpg

Challenge accepted, lol.

My model is not as hot but she's at least twice as heavy- https://1drv.ms/f/s!Apygyt54yYPwg5h4v8B1ZhArytw3fw
    And can actually sleep like that pretty comfortably.

Recessed bar bridges tend to feel a bit less tippy than end bars- especially when they are pitched too tight.
    But it's been my experience that a few folks just plain old can't get over the feeling vs. a gathered end. As mentioned by our German friend; the security of a GE and feeling hugged/cradled is hard to give up for some folks.

Hammock
    WBBB SL 1.7
    Tarp
    WB Mamajamba
    Insulation
    WB 0° Wooki +3oz
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Danalex View Post

stable2.jpg

I haven't had the opportunity to try a BMBH or a Grizz Bridge. I heard that the BMBH is much deeper and therefore probably less tippy. I own a WB Ridgerunner and a Eureka Chrysalis, though, and I have tried a Koma and a DIY bridge, and those were all tippy in opinion. At least in contrast to a gathered end. You get used to it, and if it would have been the only thing, it wouldn't have been a dealbreaker for me. But add to this all the other little things that didn't work for me, and I stick with my gathered ends. I can understand that there are people who prefer a bridge hammock, but as I said: I never had any problems with gathered ends, so they are superior for my needs.

Hammock
    Towns-End Luxury Bridge
    Quote Originally Posted by hutzelbein View Post
    I haven't had the opportunity to try a BMBH or a Grizz Bridge. I heard that the BMBH is much deeper and therefore probably less tippy. I own a WB Ridgerunner and a Eureka Chrysalis, though, and I have tried a Koma and a DIY bridge, and those were all tippy in opinion. At least in contrast to a gathered end. You get used to it, and if it would have been the only thing, it wouldn't have been a dealbreaker for me. But add to this all the other little things that didn't work for me, and I stick with my gathered ends. I can understand that there are people who prefer a bridge hammock, but as I said: I never had any problems with gathered ends, so they are superior for my needs.
    We don't always agree on fabric- but we agree on bridges, lol.
    A bridge is like a floating cot. If you are a wild sleeper or just having a crappy night- you can roll off the edge of a cot too. It's actually a bit harder to roll out of a bridge than a bed or a cot though.
    A well built and balanced bridge swings much longer than a GE as well. Some like the rocking, some don't.
    As far as warmth- it's little different than ground sleeping IMO. An UQ is more like your pad, and your top quilt must cover your top and sides.

Same thing I tell folks- and I sell bridges.
    'If you are happy with a gathered end hammock do not buy a bridge'.

On that note though- Hutzelbein: Of the bridges you would likely enjoy the BMBH the most. They are deeper than the others, and the underquilt wraps up much higher. Some describe them as a coffin... but if you are going for that same feel as a GE then it's the closest IMO. But like I said- Since you are happy with a GE hammock I can think of zero reason for you to buy a bridge.

Hammock
    WBBB SL 1.7
    Tarp
    WB Mamajamba
    Insulation
    WB 0° Wooki +3oz
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Just Bill View Post
    On that note though- Hutzelbein: Of the bridges you would likely enjoy the BMBH the most. They are deeper than the others, and the underquilt wraps up much higher. Some describe them as a coffin... but if you are going for that same feel as a GE then it's the closest IMO. But like I said- Since you are happy with a GE hammock I can think of zero reason for you to buy a bridge.
    Yes, I would be interested to try a BMBH. But I can't justify paying international shipping and customs right now, especially since I don't really have a need. It will have to wait until I can visit the US again. Still, curiosity is always a good reason to try something new, even if you're happy with what you have. I might have found bridge hammocks more comfortable than gathered ends. Now I know that this is not the case, and I can enjoy my gathered end even more

Hammock
    Amok XL
    Tarp
    TBD
    Suspension
    Tensa
    Quote Originally Posted by Just Bill View Post
    Challenge accepted, lol.

My model is not as hot but she's at least twice as heavy- https://1drv.ms/f/s!Apygyt54yYPwg5h4v8B1ZhArytw3fw
    And can actually sleep like that pretty comfortably.

Recessed bar bridges tend to feel a bit less tippy than end bars- especially when they are pitched too tight.
    But it's been my experience that a few folks just plain old can't get over the feeling vs. a gathered end. As mentioned by our German friend; the security of a GE and feeling hugged/cradled is hard to give up for some folks.
    No she isn't quite as hot ...... (I don't want to say it out loud but one of those hair removers for those pesky facial hairs slipped into her stocking at christmas might be a good idea)

All above rules of course dependant on the type of bridge and the positioning of the spreader bars ... some have almost taut fabric between and some are deeply dished ... all of which affect tippiness IMHO

• + New Posts
  • Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234