Hammock
    JustBill's Biggy Deluxe
    Tarp
    WB Super Fly
    Insulation
    Zepp/LL Ghost Pepr
    Images

Town's End Luxury Bridge Hammock

I just received one of Bill's Luxury Bridge Hammocks. It is a single layer in 1.7 Hybrid Robic (IIRC). My first one is a Hex70 single layer which was part of Bill's testing group. The hammock worked well and gives a very flat lay, which I've found I need for side sleeping. The Hex70 is a 2.2 material and is a bit stiff for my weight (190ish) and required a pad. But, it was very comfy with a Big Agnes LW pad. This 1.7 seems like it will be comfortable without a pad. This will save a lot of weight and help in warm weather. I found that my UGQ Zeppelin UQ works with these, so a pad is just for extra comfort.

As a subdued color guy from way back, I wasn't sure I'd like the color. It is officially known as Olive Yellow, which sounds like a great color for a squash. Upon arrival, I LOVE the color scheme of this hammock. The black edges and brown bags are a great contrast to the green. If RSBTR were smart, they would totally rename this color "Margaritaville"

It'll be a while before I get out in the field, but lounging in this thing is really comfy and I have high hopes for some great nights.

IMG_1768.jpg
    IMG_1767.jpg

Sorry, I can't seem to rotate that pic.
    Last edited by Johnny Gunz; 09-07-2017 at 18:54.
    But for the grace of God, there, I go...

Hammock
    DIY dl bridge
    Tarp
    Diy silpoly
    Insulation
    DIY UQ, TQ
    Suspension
    Outdoor ink straps
    Looking good.

Happy for you! I sure love mine, as my nightly sleeper!!

Hammock
    Towns-End Luxury Bridge
    Hey John-
    Thought I'd answer you here so others could read the answers too.

First off- Guessing Mr. Buffett would sue the Bermuda shorts right off Kyle, lol. But Margaritaville is a pretty good description for that color. I describe it as a spring green, like the first bright shoots of plants. I really like it too, especially with the coyote brown or Dark olive. I too am slowly warming up to the bright colors.

I do plan to drop the Hex 70 as your experience with it is similar to myself and others... it's just a bit stiff as a single layer unless you're closer to 250 or so... and at that point you might as well just go with the Big Boy rated to 350+.
    The Hybrid 1.7 single layer in the Luxury bridge seems ideal for folks around 200 or less as it deflects just enough to not create any pressure points. I really like it at 225 and folks as light as 150 seem to enjoy it as well.

I don't have it handy... but the 7/64" amsteel suspension (vs the 1/8" I've been using) saves a good ounce off the bridge body itself. I'll grab some hard numbers when I hit the shop later.

The storage bag of the bridge- is designed to work with the ARL as you have it in the pic. But the grey shock cord and mitten hook I supplied is meant to be used as prussic loops to attach to the RL. So take those and give them a few wraps (three usually works). That allows you to move the prussic along the RL and lock it in place, which will tension the bag so it doesn't get droopy when you put stuff into it. You just leave the prussic on the ARL when you break it down; but it's handy because you can put the poles in the sack when you go to break it down, then stuff the bridge body in.

Some folks like to use the bag to carry the poles outside their pack and just stuff the bridge body into their pack too. In that case the tabs on the bag help to secure the poles to your pack so they can't be dropped. A double ended mitten hook is handy for that.

Lighter poles: I do have some .625 sets around, as well as a hybrid set with a .75" head pole and a .625 foot pole.
    The hybrid set saves a half ounce, the .625 set a full ounce. Either set works for someone under 200 pounds thus far.
    However I have a test set from Rota Locura in Carbon Fiber that weighs under 7 ounces and that is really weight saving. I need to do more testing of that one but I'm hoping to work with Josh at some point to get these made in bulk to get this luxury bridge into the 20oz range... so I'd wait for that set to get put together as that will make these minor Aluminum pole weight upgrades little more than a budget consideration. Down the line, I'm hoping to offer the carbon fiber as a standard upgrade at purchase to further reduce the cost. These are also a nesting set with a three piece head pole so they pack down great.

On the UQ... it seems that not so Big guys are having the same experience as you are with the UQ's generally. I picked up a revolt from EE and a Burrow Econ and both work well enough for me as well on these. I think in the Big Guy users: the really broad shoulders they tend to have make UQ fitting a bit more challenging at the head end. For folks up to my size (5'10" 230ish) who wear a men's Large/XL in clothing- hanging the UQ at the ends off the dog bones seems to work fine as we can still find a way 'into' it easily enough, especially when side sleeping.
    So glad to here we can add the Zeppelin to the list of 'working' quilts for the Luxury Bridge!

The really big guys need a bit more fiddling as back sleepers because they tend to fill up the bridge edge to edge and that can create some drafts in a standard UQ.

Hammock
    Towns-End Luxury Bridge
    .75 oz poles- 11.625 oz.
    .625 oz poles- 10.75 oz
    Carbon fiber prototypes- 7 oz.

Luxury Bridge body: 13.875 oz.
    Lux bridge with carbon poles = 20.875 oz.

IMG_4859.jpg
    IMG_4862.jpg

Here's how the ridgeline connection looks with prussic loops
    IMG_4864.jpg
    IMG_4865.jpg
    Last edited by Just Bill; 09-12-2017 at 06:51.

Hammock
    Towns-End Luxury Bridge
    The carbon set is a three piece head pole, and the foot bars slip into the head bars so it ends up as a very compact 20.5" long set for packing.

Hammock
    Towns-End Luxury Bridge
    IMG_4866.jpg
    IMG_4867.jpg

Here's what the look like side by side with the carbon nested and ready to pack

Hammock
    JustBill's Biggy Deluxe
    Tarp
    WB Super Fly
    Insulation
    Zepp/LL Ghost Pepr
    Images
    Great info Bill. The Prussic knot makes perfect sense. I wondered what the oversized shock cord loop was for. I'm a great test subject for you to fine tune your directions for the lowest common denominator. The CF poles sound very good indeed. I was actually napping this afternoon in my new Biggy Deluxe and I'm still surprised at how much comfort the 1.7 adds.

One note of interest is that I believe it works better for me to have the head end a tad, maybe a couple inches, HIGHER than the foot end. I'm finding that I prefer to lay with my feet under the bar at that end, just leaving my forehead under the head end bar. At 6'2", this is comfy. The slightly higher head end keeps me in this position nicely.

And yea, I guess as the memories of Red Dawn fade, I'm digging brighter colors. This one rocks for sure
    But for the grace of God, there, I go...

Hammock
    Towns-End Luxury Bridge
    Yar the Hybrid 1.7 is by far the best bridge hammock fabric. Gathered ends can be subjective but that fabric behaves so much better in a bridge (both comfort and structurally) that it's an easy call to make in my opinion.

As far as hanging it- BINGO!
    Think of the tree to tree distance as your tension. If you want it more firm: tighten it up (extend the ARL) if you want it a bit softer- shorten the ARL for more sag.
    Once you nailed your tension- then you adjust level. The bulk of your weight is in your torso... so depending on sleep position you want the head end a bit higher typically.
    Back sleepers and big guys especially tend to have most of the weight towards the head end- so raising it up there leaves the bridge level when laying in it.
    Side sleepers and belly sleepers- dead level tends to work pretty good.
    But any sliding one way or the other will give you an idea what is ideal.

Takes many hangers who try these a long time to unlearn GE habits.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Ridge Runner
    Tarp
    DIY Winter w/doors
    Insulation
    DIY UQ, WL XXL TQ
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopies
    Images
    Hey Guys,
    There is very little information on this Luxury Bridge. Can any of you tell me where I can read more? I think I fit the category, 6' 240#. I currently use a WBRR double layer that I like very much. I am a side sleeper, and slide a pad in between layers to flatten the lay. I've used both a Nemo Cosmo and a Sea to Summit pad, and both work well. I did finally sew some hair ribbon on the ends to limit the amount the pad can migrate out. I tend to move a bit sleeping, especially as an old guy that pees a lot. The little info I have seen has piqued my interest.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast