Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Hammock
    WBBB XLC
    Insulation
    Wooki
    Suspension
    Whoopies

Question HG Cuben Fiber Winter Palace is Ridge Line Cat-cut?

Hello,

I have a few questions about the Hammock Gear Dyneema (Cuben) Fiber (Winter) Palace Tarp.

I'm new to things, so I don't really know what I'm doing. I'm planning to get an 11' gathered end hammock. From the calculator on The Ultimate Hang, I think with a 30' angle this should be about 114-119 inches, and I should have 6-12 inches on either side, so I need coverage of about 10.5 to 12 feet. Does this sound right? Would the 11' Palace tarp comfortable fit a Chameleon or Warbonnet Blackbird XLC? Should I go for 12' instead?

From HG's description "The Palace is a catenary cut tarp" but, is this just the sides (perimeter), or is the ridge line also catenary cut?

From the research I've been doing, whilst cat-cut saves weight and eases getting a tight pitch, it also has drawbacks

From: http://www.jacksrbetter.com/a-few-words-about-tarps/
    When the ridgeline is a catenary cut it provides, in its optimum, or near optimum angle, a super taunt tarp. This virtually eliminates any flapping. Some say, “It turns the tarp into a hummer vice a flapper in storms”. The drawback is that it is only effective in the optimal pitch and it becomes extremely floppy and sloppy when pitched high and flat or as a single plane, shed roof. It often eliminates other ground pitch options, beyond the optimum angle, altogether. This style of tarp is only for the individual who plans to use it the same way all of the time. It eliminates, for practical purposes, most of a tarp’s flexibility features.
    If the ridge line is flat and not cat-cut it should make it easier to hang it with one side longer than the other (although this would mess up the use of the doors).

I am also curious if the tarp could be used on the ground in different configurations like on these pages http://prepperswill.com/how-to-make-...er-15-designs/, https://rollingfox.com/how-to-make-a...t-with-designs, http://bushwalkingnsw.org.au/clubsit...p/TarpShel.htm.

I know the Palace is very big, but I'm thinking a big tarp can be folded smaller if desired.

I'm wondering if ridge line or doors will make it hard to use the tarp in any configuration other than the centred A-frame.

I want to get a cuben fiber tarp. I like the Palace because I want to get 360 wind protection. My other option is a flat tarp and getting 2QZQ Grizz Beaks.

Flat Cuben Fiber tarps that are around same dimensions as the Palace that I've found are: -
    • Bear Paw Wilderness Designs (10x12', cat-cut perimeter, has options for doors)
    • I read on this forum that Outdoor Equipment Supplier can do CF tarps as a special order, but I haven't asked this yet, website says it's "discontinued for season" (there 4-season tarp is similar dimension at 12'x10').

Hyperlight Mountain Gear, ZPacks, and Terra Rosa Gear Flat Tarps are not as wide, they are only 8.5' wide, HMG is only 10' long, and TRG is only 10.5' long. Perhaps with the Grizz Beaks the lengths might be OK, but they'll still have less side coverage.

Thanks for reading.

Hammock
    Hybrid 1.7 GE, Happy Medium Bridge
    Tarp
    DIY Xenon Winter
    Insulation
    Loco Libre Gear
    Suspension
    All of them! Ugh.
    Images
    The 11' palace should be perfect for you. Wish I had one, but I do have the standard w/doors. There is no seam at the ridge so therefore no cat cut. I'm no genius so maybe I'm wrong.

Hammock
    BoneFire,DIY Bridge,DH
    Tarp
    HG DCF,UGQ,DIY
    Insulation
    BoneFire,UGQ,Clew
    Suspension
    BoneFire Deluxe
    I think the ridgeline is cat cut. There is no sewn seam, but there is a taped/bonded seam.
    -Carter

www.RipstopbytheRoll.com| "The Best Fabrics on Earth. Guaranteed."

Hammock
    Too many to choose just one
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Hex or WP
    Insulation
    UGQ Bandit 30* or
    Suspension
    Depends on my mood
    Avoid Outdoor Equipment Supplier. You will not get a tarp if you order it. There are dozens of threads on this forum stating that this company is not reliable.

11' ridgeline Palace will cover your 11' hammock just fine. I have two Hammock Gear Winter Palaces. One standard and one with doors on one end only. They both appear to me to have cat cut ridgelines.

Hammock
    Hybrid 1.7 GE, Happy Medium Bridge
    Tarp
    DIY Xenon Winter
    Insulation
    Loco Libre Gear
    Suspension
    All of them! Ugh.
    Images
    I just looked it up and HG says no SEWN ridgeline. They don't say anything about the ridgeline being cat cut or not, but I'll stand corrected...maybe

My DIY winter tarp looks like the RL is cat cut when hung taut, but it definitely is not.

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    My first HG CF tarp, a Standard, was definitely not a cat cut, and it never hung right. I traded it in for a Winter Palace with cat cut, and now it hangs right.
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Hammock
    DIY gathered end
    Tarp
    Hammock Gear Cuben
    Insulation
    100% Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling
    Images
    Hi Everyone,

Yes, the Palace does indeed have a catenary(cat) cut along the ridgeline. It is not very deep because we try to maximize the coverage as much as possible. The material that any tarp is constructed from has a lot to do with how deep the cat cut needs to be to achieve that tight pitch we all know and love. The stretchier the material is, the less cat cut it will require because the "stretchiness" of the material will make its own cat, thus taking up the slack and minimizing "flap"...if that makes sense. A material like dyneema composite fabric (DCF) has a very LOW stretch, and is going to require a cat cut to be integrated into the design of the tarp to maintain that tight pitch.

As to being able to use the tarp in the various configurations shown in the link that the OP provided....probably not. You really need a flat tarp with no cat cut for that The Palace will be limited to the basic "A" frame designed shape of the tarp. Other than using it between two trees to hang a hammock under, you can also take it to ground with some poles or sticks. You can also put it up into various porch modes but that is probably about it. It really is a sweet tarp but it is also somewhat purposed for hammock camping. That being said, we can custom make you something if you want to have more options. Just understand the limitations. If you want to get a nice tight pitch with on a DCF tarp with no cat cut, you will probably need to run a ridgeline underneath your tarp. I personally do NOT recommend doing that because of possible abrasion issues but many people do it and do not have any problems...YMMV.

~Stormcrow
    Owner/Founder at Hammockgear.com - Hammock Camping Outfitters
    Home of the Burrow, the Incubator, and the Phoenix

Hammock
    WBBB XLC
    Insulation
    Wooki
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Thank you all for the info, and thank you @stromcrow for the confirmation that the ridge line is cat-cut and the limitations in pitching because of this. This answers my questions and I'm still lusting for the tarp.

@sqidmark Thanks for confirming the 11' length would suit the 11' gathered end hammocks.

That's also a very good tip about the possible abrasion issues with the running a ridge line under the tarp. I had been planning to run it underneath for support and eventually I plan to camp in snow, and I was thinking it would work better. I am also considering a inner poll mod. Now I think I'll suspend it from the ridgeline tieouts instead except may when in snow (by then my knowledge and skills should be improved).

Hammock
    Dutch Chameleon
    Tarp
    HG Cuban Palace
    Insulation
    HG Incub./Burrow
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckle
    I'm very happy with my 11' Cuben Palace, and have always achieved a taught pitch when using it in variations of the A-frame shape. I have not tried to use it for other purposes than hanging a hammock under. I use Dutch Stingerz at both ridgeline tie outs directly to trees instead of running a separate ridgeline above or below the tarp.

It took a bit of experimentation to get the doors to close how I wanted, but it's easy now. I use external pole mods on mine, and hang two Chameleons side by side underneath with no problem - although blowing rain and wind is an issue when pitched wide like that. With just one Chameleon, I've endured 40 mph gusts and blowing rain and stayed perfectly dry.

The only other tarps I've used for hammock camping are a HG Cuben Hex without doors, and standard Walmart blue tarps.

Hammock
    SLD Trail Lair
    Tarp
    HG WP and Asymm
    Insulation
    HG TQ, UQ; MLD TQ
    Suspension
    I go Dutch
    Images
    IMHO, for an extra $15 and a 3/4 ounce weight penalty, a 12' ridge line is the way to go.
    There are two kinds of people in the world: those who say there are two kinds of people, and all the others.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast