Hammock
    Grand Trunk Hybrid Shelter
    Tarp
    OES MacCat Deluxe
    Insulation
    LL Habanero UQ
    Suspension
    whoopie slings

Backpacking to Upper Ice Lake, Near Silverton CO.

Drove with friends from Texas to Colorado to do a bit of backpacking this Labor Day weekend. We arrived in town Friday, but didn't get to our base camp near the trailhead until late. Setup the hammock in the dark (not unusual for me, sadly), and after a couple of drinks and laughs around the campfire we hit the sack. The hike the next day was going to be particularly brutal for us.

The hike we were about to undertake was 7.0 miles round trip which isn't bad until you take into account that we'd be gaining 2,430-ft. in elevation before camping the night and turning around to come back down the mountain the next day. That's a tough hike for those of us who don't live near even any particularly big hills!

The trade off, is that the scenery is BEAUTIFUL, and of course there's always a sense of accomplishment whenever i finish a particularly challenging hike.

Here are the hike stats:
    Distance from Trailhead: 7.0 miles (round trip)
    Ending/Highest Elevation: 12,270-ft.
    Elevation Gain: 2,430-ft.

Here's a few of the more epic pictures I took along the way.
    epic01.jpg epic02.jpg epic03.jpg

So, what I didn't really realize before hand was that we'd be camping above the treeline. Ugh. So, I had to go to ground... It's wasn't the most comfortable on my back, but my top quilt (and my dogs) managed to keep me quite warm.
    GoingToGround.jpg

As most probably already know, mountains like this tend to have their own weather systems, and even though it was beautiful during the day, it stormed like the dickens from around supper to after midnight. Thunder, lightening, huge winds, even a little hail.

My little hex tarp and my hiking poles did a pretty good job keeping me dry, I must say. It did manage to shelter me from most of the wind, but it still did quite a bit of blowing. I'd never pitched my tarp like this, but I'd seen a video or two and it really wasn't rocket surgery... though, I think I might like to practice it again a couple times in case I have to do it again sometime. The worst part was the hard, hard ground. Ow! My aching back!

What's worse, is that I was suffering from a bit of altitude sickness at the time. I was a bit dizzy and nauseous, and my hands wouldn't stop tingling. After I et me some vittles though, I was able to get to sleep and the next day I was feeling right as reign again.

Here's a group shot we took next to Ice Lake. Y'all I didn't realize that a blue this beautiful existed in nature. It looked like the intensity of the blue in this lake had been turned up in photoshop... I almost couldn't believe my eyes.
    GroupShot.jpg
    (that's me with the blue Hoorag on my head)

So, for anyone counting there are six dogs to five people in that picture, but we actually had seven dogs, it's just nearly impossible to get my Maggie to sit still for a picture (unless I'm bribing her with a treat)... like this:
    MaggieAndSophie.jpg

Anyway folks, I've never left one of these here trip reports... I sure hope I did it right.
    Last edited by toferj; 09-06-2017 at 09:19.

Hammock
    Dutch 11ft 1.0 Hexon
    Tarp
    Cuban with doors
    Beautiful area, looks like fun.

Hammock
    DIY 10.5' HyperD 1.6
    Tarp
    Warbonnet, SLD
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WB Straps+Buckles
    Images
    Beautiful area! I like the photoshop comment; now and then I'll have some scenery like that where I actually have to turn down the saturation. So amazing it looks "fake" right out of the camera.

Hammock
    Warbonnet RR / BlackbirdXLC
    Tarp
    SimplyLightDesigns
    Insulation
    Lynx / LocoLibre
    Suspension
    webbing/buckles
    Images
    Beautiful. The Colorado mountain lakes are so beautiful but it takes a ton of work to get to many of these treasures.

Hammock
    Tarp
    OES MacCat Deluxe
    Insulation
    LL Habanero UQ
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    Quote Originally Posted by n2outdrs View Post
    Beautiful area, looks like fun.
    Right on both counts!

Quote Originally Posted by markr6 View Post
    Beautiful area! I like the photoshop comment; now and then I'll have some scenery like that where I actually have to turn down the saturation. So amazing it looks "fake" right out of the camera.
    I really couldn't believe my eyes to begin with. I'm sad that I didn't take any more photos the next day when the gray afternoon clouds had gone away.

Quote Originally Posted by TrailSlug View Post
    Beautiful. The Colorado mountain lakes are so beautiful but it takes a ton of work to get to many of these treasures.
    It's hard work, but so worth it. I'm sure my body will thank me later as soon as it stops complaining. My legs are SO SORE these past couple of days!

Hammock
    Warbonnet RR / BlackbirdXLC
    Tarp
    SimplyLightDesigns
    Insulation
    Lynx / LocoLibre
    Suspension
    webbing/buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by toferj View Post
    It's hard work, but so worth it. I'm sure my body will thank me later as soon as it stops complaining. My legs are SO SORE these past couple of days!
    I can't imagine. I was in Estes Park over the holiday weekend and my son and I did two day hikes of roughly 5 miles each day and a little over 1000 ft of elevation gain and that about killed me. I'm just too out of shape to backpack the Rockies.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Ridge Runner
    Tarp
    HG cuben w/doors
    Insulation
    ORM TQ & WB UQ
    Suspension
    straps & buckles
    I believe you did just fine.
    More pics next time please.

Hammock
    Tarp
    OES MacCat Deluxe
    Insulation
    LL Habanero UQ
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    Oh, I have a few more. I'll upload them later.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

• + New Posts