Tarp
    WB Mamajamba
    Insulation
    WB 0° Wooki +3oz
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by AyeJay View Post
    Hi Nutzelbein! I absolutely agree with you regarding the need for insulation in tropical climate. I did know that, the reason I said I don't need a double-layer to slip a pad in is because I've already decided I'm going to be a UQ Man I'm going single-layer and whacking on that UQ!
    That's a wise decision If you are getting a Warbonnet hammock anyway, make your underquilt a Wooki. If you sleep in one direction only, it's the best fitting underquilt that's currently on the market. I love the fact that it doesn't have shock cords and allows you to lie in the hammock as if you weren't using any insulation. That's why I have pretty much stopped using my other underquilts. The Wooki can be made to fit any other ordinary gathered end hammock. I even used it on a Brazilian hammock successfully.

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    DIY SilPoly
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    Hybrid UHMWPE/MSH
    Continuous loops are the loop of amsteel at each end of the hammock that the suspension attaches to. Some vendors give the option to include continuous loops, have whoopie slings attached straight to the hammock, or leave the end channels empty so that you can add your own suspension attachment point.

Knotty mods are a way to keep the sides of the hammock taut. It's an alternative to tie-outs. Here's a video that Knotty made explaining the Knotty mod:

Quote Originally Posted by Cory Hess View Post
    Continuous loops are the loop of amsteel at each end of the hammock that the suspension attaches to. Some vendors give the option to include continuous loops, have whoopie slings attached straight to the hammock, or leave the end channels empty so that you can add your own suspension attachment point.

Knotty mods are a way to keep the sides of the hammock taut. It's an alternative to tie-outs. Here's a video that Knotty made explaining the Knotty mod:

I didn't order the Continuous Loop. So if there is no loop at the end, is there still some kind of loop or thing to attach your caribiner too? I ordered separate suspension. I got two caribiners, some 7/64 amsteel, and tree straps. I was planning to attach the carabiner to the hammock end, then the amsteel to the caribiner, then the amsteel to the tree straps using a toggle situation.
    Last edited by AyeJay; 09-06-2017 at 12:32.

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    DIY SilPoly
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    Hybrid UHMWPE/MSH
    I'd send an email and verify. I've never ordered a hammock without the continuous loops, but my understanding is that they'll come with just a zip tie or some such thing to hold the gathered ends together and you'll have to provide your own continuous loops. I'm sure they can still be added to your order at this point.

The option is there because some people like to put their whoopies straight into the channels on the ends of the hammock without having the CL in between. Other people like to color code their CLs so that they can tell the head end from the foot end. I swapped out the CLs on my SLD as soon as it arrived so that I could have red at the head and blue at the foot. It's really not hard to add them or swap them out after the fact, they're just larksheaded in. However, since you don't already have some I'd shoot an email and have them included.

Hammock
    WBBBXLC/Dutch/WL/DH
    Tarp
    UGQ Winter Dream12
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Dutchware/Amsteel
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by AyeJay View Post
    By the way, when I was choosing my hammock today, there were two hammock mod options I didn't understand. One was "Continuous Loop", and the other was "Knotty Mod Locations". Any idea what these are?
    Are you sure you were ordering a Warbonnet Traveler XL? I ask because I was unaware of a "Knotty Mod" option on Warbonnet hammocks.
    Semper Paratus - Fidelis - Vigilans - Soli Deo Gloria
    | FAITH | FAMILY | FREEDOM |
    Instagram:
    @2ndSamuel22

I'd send an email and verify. I've never ordered a hammock without the continuous loops, but my understanding is that they'll come with just a zip tie or some such thing to hold the gathered ends together and you'll have to provide your own continuous loops. I'm sure they can still be added to your order at this point.

The option is there because some people like to put their whoopies straight into the channels on the ends of the hammock without having the CL in between. Other people like to color code their CLs so that they can tell the head end from the foot end. I swapped out the CLs on my SLD as soon as it arrived so that I could have red at the head and blue at the foot. It's really not hard to add them or swap them out after the fact, they're just larksheaded in. However, since you don't already have some I'd shoot an email and have them included.
    Hell, I see. I've just watched some tutorials on tying up hammock ends with lark's head to get an idea what's going on there.

With Jared's Continuous Loop options, there is the option of a "Removable" Continuous Loop, or a "Permanent (Crafted Through Channels)" Continuous Loop.

Am I right in assuming you selected the "Removable" option which came with a Larkshead using something like 7/64 Amsteel dogbog?

Am I also right in assuming that the "Permanent" Continuous Loop can't or shouldn't be undone?

For myself, this is my first hammock. In regards to possibly gathering the hammock ends myself and attaching a Larkshead with my 7/64 Amsteel, is that something that is easy to get right using a basic video tutorial, or should I get the pro (Jared) to put a permanent one in for my first hammock?

Finally, what is the advantages of a permanent one over a removable one? I guess you use a removable larkshead all the time and that holds well enough?

With possibly gathering the ends myself, the part of that process that probably concerns me the most is that I have the tub sitting right in relation to the gathered ends. But perhaps that is not much of a fine art? Bit scary, don't want to make a hash of gathering my beautiful new hammock!

I see some hammock ends have a tunnel that you feed the rope through and that is your hammock all gathered up. Does the Tree Runner have that tunnel? If so, then I don't think it could go wrong doing my own larkshead through that.
    Last edited by AyeJay; 09-06-2017 at 17:06.

Quote Originally Posted by 2 Samuel 22 View Post
    Are you sure you were ordering a Warbonnet Traveler XL? I ask because I was unaware of a "Knotty Mod" option on Warbonnet hammocks.
    Hi mate. I changed my mind from the Traveller XLC and ended up going with a Tree Runner SL by Simply Light Designs. It fitted my requirements a little better than the WarBonnet Traveller XLC. Well it fit my requirements perfectly. And to do able to make custom decisions was instrumental, for example being able to choose 12 ft x 65 inches. And the style and make of the hammock was exactly what I was wanting too. Price, everything was what I was after.

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    DIY SilPoly
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    Hybrid UHMWPE/MSH
    That tunnel you're referring to is called a channel. The Tree Runner will have a channel. The permanent CL is sewn into that channel, whereas the removable one is larksheaded through it. I don't know exactly what the advantages of a permanent CL are, other than it would probably look a little neater.

If you already have CL to use, or amsteel to make them you should be fine without ordering any. If you don't already have them I don't see a reason not to order them already attached to your hammock, unless you plan to use something other than amsteel. It's not too difficult to add or remove them. Just make sure you larkshead the new CL to whatever is currently in the channel before pulling it out so that you don't have to fish something through the channel again.

That tunnel you're referring to is called a channel. The Tree Runner will have a channel. The permanent CL is sewn into that channel, whereas the removable one is larksheaded through it. I don't know exactly what the advantages of a permanent CL are, other than it would probably look a little neater.

If you already have CL to use, or amsteel to make them you should be fine without ordering any. If you don't already have them I don't see a reason not to order them already attached to your hammock, unless you plan to use something other than amsteel. It's not too difficult to add or remove them. Just make sure you larkshead the new CL to whatever is currently in the channel before pulling it out so that you don't have to fish something through the channel again.
    This is great information and answers my queries very well. Thank you so much.

40 feet of Amsteel is coming with my order, so I shall have enough length to make CLs. And I have access to video tutorials showing how to make them.

My thinking is that if I am able to safely whip up my own hammock end, I'd like to, because I'd like to learn the skill for myself and be able to do it. But I don't want to risk not being able to do it properly. But it sounds like the channel is easier than all that folding like an according or repeated doubly overs. I assume the hammock just naturally scrunches up into position once the larskhead is attached.

Well it sounds as though I'm good to do my own. I would like to also learn how to fold like an according or repeated doubling overs, however I can get my own material and try that out on the cheap.

Also one other advantage I heard in one of the tutorials is that if you can take the CLs out, you can then hand wash your hammock more easily.

You said you have a head end and a foot end and you stick to that. Is this what everyone is supposed to do with hammocks? And if so, why? Is it because we want the hammock to contour to our body shape by laying the same way all the time? And is there an underside and a topside that one has to always sleep on the same side? Or should you use both sides to get some kind of an even wear?
    Last edited by AyeJay; 09-06-2017 at 19:09.

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    DIY SilPoly
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    Hybrid UHMWPE/MSH
    I have a pocket sewn into my Tree Runner, and clipped onto my Chameleon. I mark the head and foot end just so that the pocket is always off of my right shoulder. Other than that both of these hammocks are symmetrical.

Some hammocks are cut asymmetrically. For those hammocks you'd want to know which end is the head and which is the foot so that you can make sure you're laying facing the way you want to. For example, I always like my head to be towards the center of camp if I'm with other people. Otherwise, there's a big wall of fabric between me and everybody else, which makes it hard to be social. If I'm on my own I want my head towards the best view.

As far as a topside and underside, somebody more experienced would have to answer that for you. With the pockets inside of my hammocks I've never tried to lay in one that was inside out so to speak.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast