Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Advice on Warbonnet Traveller layers

Newb here. Never used a hammock. I'm actually looking at the new Warbonnet XL Traveller which is 11 ft as my first purchase for extended hiking trips.

Any idea how durable the single-layer 1.7 Traveller would be with heavy use? (I'm 80 kg) The single-layer is a fair bit lighter than the double-layer, but if the 1.7 SL would have durability problems with prolonged use, I'll have to carry the extra weight with the 1.7 double-layer.

The Single-layer 1.7 is 453 grams and the DL 1.7 is 793 grams. I do a heap of hiking so weight is a factor, but so is durability.

Putting pads in between layers isn't something I'll be doing as I'm only doing warm weather stuff in tropical climates. The double-layer would be purely for durability purposes if I went that way.

I don't mind having to replace a cheaper hammock like this once every couple of years, however I wouldn't want to be only getting a few months life out of whatever I choose. Thanks a lot!
    Last edited by AyeJay; 09-05-2017 at 05:22.

Hammock
    WB Eldorado
    Tarp
    WB MJ
    Insulation
    KAQ; MAMW
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    AyeJay - I'm 90+ kg, and I have had the 10ft 1.7 SL Traveler for about 3 years. I have never had a problem with its durability. Apart from adding Dutch Clips, it is still the original, stock hammock. And, still going strong.

Quote Originally Posted by historyteacher View Post
    AyeJay - I'm 90+ kg, and I have had the 10ft 1.7 SL Traveler for about 3 years. I have never had a problem with its durability. Apart from adding Dutch Clips, it is still the original, stock hammock. And, still going strong.
    WONDERFUL! Can I ask, how many nights do you think you've got out of it so far? I'm planning extended hiking trips, so I'd be using it for prolongued use. If it lasted 3 years in that circumstance, I'd be happy with that.

Hammock
    WB Eldorado
    Tarp
    WB MJ
    Insulation
    KAQ; MAMW
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Actual nights - no clue. This year not as much as I like. But, for the first two years I had at least one long trip each summer (5-10 nights each), 6-8 weekend trips (2 nights each), plus many hangs in the backyard, at the local park, or at work. I take good care of my gear both at home and on the trail, and both the Traveler and the Bugnet are still solid.

Quote Originally Posted by historyteacher View Post
    Actual nights - no clue. This year not as much as I like. But, for the first two years I had at least one long trip each summer (5-10 nights each), 6-8 weekend trips (2 nights each), plus many hangs in the backyard, at the local park, or at work. I take good care of my gear both at home and on the trail, and both the Traveler and the Bugnet are still solid.

1.7oz sounds like a great weight for both lightweight and durable. Thank you very much!

Hammock
    SLD Trail Lair
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Edge
    Insulation
    Wooki UQ; LL/HG TQ
    Suspension
    CL w/ Tensa 4
    I have a single layer 1.7 WBBB XLC that I bought used. It already had had several years use put on it. I've had it a couple of years myself now and it is my favorite of my two WBBB XLCs (also have a double layer Multicam one that I bought new back in 2012 or so), so I've used it the most these past two years. I camp FREQUENTLY and year round. My single layer 1.7 shows no signs of wear yet! (And until just last May I weighed more than you.) You'll be fine going with the 1.7 SL. Taken care of properly it will last you multiple years.

Hammock
    WBBB SL 1.7
    Tarp
    WB Mamajamba
    Insulation
    WB 0° Wooki +3oz
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Images
    You'll be fine with the single layer. The 1.7 is a 70D fabric and pretty tough. I never heard of a fabric like this failing. I have had kids play in DIY hammocks made from 70D fabric, and although they were rough on them, the hammocks didn't look any worse for the wear.

Quote Originally Posted by AyeJay View Post
    Newb here. Never used a hammock. [...]

Putting pads in between layers isn't something I'll be doing as I'm only doing warm weather stuff in tropical climates. The double-layer would be purely for durability purposes if I went that way.
    I bet you'll need some insulation under you. Don't underestimate convection. Maybe if you sleep warm and the temperature doesn't drop below 25°C you will get away without insulation. But if there's a chance that a night will be cooler, or there's a lot of wind, I would have a plan B.

Hammock
    SLD Trail Lair
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Edge
    Insulation
    Wooki UQ; LL/HG TQ
    Suspension
    CL w/ Tensa 4
    Quote Originally Posted by hutzelbein View Post
    I bet you'll need some insulation under you. Don't underestimate convection. Maybe if you sleep warm and the temperature doesn't drop below 25°C you will get away without insulation. But if there's a chance that a night will be cooler, or there's a lot of wind, I would have a plan B.

Spot on! Anytime it's 70 F or below, I need a pad or underquilt to keep from feeling chilly underneath.
    To my SHOCK my underside even got chilly on an 80 degree day when it was windy. I wasn't freezing, but I was just uncomfortable enough to drag my lazy bones out of my hammock and slip my underquilt on! (I wouldn't have been uncomfortable AWAKE that day, but as I fell asleep napping, I got chilly.)

You'll be fine with the single layer. The 1.7 is a 70D fabric and pretty tough. I never heard of a fabric like this failing. I have had kids play in DIY hammocks made from 70D fabric, and although they were rough on them, the hammocks didn't look any worse for the wear.

Hi Nutzelbein! I absolutely agree with you regarding the need for insulation in tropical climate. I did know that, the reason I said I don't need a double-layer to slip a pad in is because I've already decided I'm going to be a UQ Man I'm going single-layer and whacking on that UQ!

I've been following a YouTube channel called junglecrafty, which is owned by a British fella who has been living in Malaysia for the last 12 years. And ever since then, he has been an avid hammocker and bushcraftsman in the tropical jungle over there. He puts out videos educating on how to camp and survive in the tropical jungle.

He certainly does require a UQ and an OQ in the tropical jungle at all times. He says nights do get chilly. Actually correction, he uses a UQ and a BLANKET in the place of an OQ. Well, I guess a blanket IS an OQ.

He says you can survive without a UQ and blanket, however you will indeed be uncomfortably cold. I think the tropical climate is not like summer nights in colder areas. In the tropical climate it's more constantly moderate rather than having extreme hotness like the colder areas get in their summer time.

I mean here in Newcastle which is a temperate zone, we get lots of summer days up around 100 degrees. However in tropical rainforest climate, you don't get that hot, it's more a constant 90 degrees during the day. And in temperate zones during the summer, many nights are 90 -100 degrees and are too hot even if you're naked. However in the tropical rainforest climate, the nights are always moderately cool at around 70 - 80 degrees.
    Last edited by AyeJay; 09-06-2017 at 11:54.

By the way, when I was choosing my hammock today, there were two hammock mod options I didn't understand. One was "Continuous Loop", and the other was "Knotty Mod Locations". Any idea what these are?

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast