hennessy scout (making new DIY)
    Tarp
    DIY hex
    Insulation
    down quilts
    Suspension
    dynaglide UCR

Mechanical properties of fabrics

I searched forum but couldnt find exact info on fabric mechanical properties, mainly Tensile strength and elongation of different fabrics. This is not something hard to obtain, and I guess Tensile test like the one shown here should be normally provided by fabric vendors, especially those who are involved in development of certain fabrics like RBTR is (I think). Another interesting data from Tensile test would be Modulus of Elasticity (even better diagram force-elongation) that would tell us about elasticity of fabrics (or how stretchy fabric is). I guess tests like that are not expensive and can be done quickly.

It would be so nice if we could have those data on few most used hammock fabrics: HyperD, Robic, Ripstop Nylon, Silpoly, Silnylon...

Why am asking for this? While we can determine those characteristics for various fabrics from experience, numbers are exact and gives us basis for apple-to-apple comparison.

Another reason am interested in this: am pretty good at 3D modeling and I would try to model a 3d-shaped hammock that should be extremely comfortable, that modeling would probably include local fabric stretch. It sounds complicated, and it is, but that idea is in my head for a while and I would give it a try.

Hammock
    DIY Poly D or Robic XL
    Tarp
    DIY Winter w/doors
    Insulation
    Downy Goodness
    Suspension
    Beetle or DIY Hook
    Spoken like a true Engineer. And I totally agree. If these tests are conducted in the material creation the results would be very helpful in comparison of one fabric to another.
    Outdoors > Indoors
    I love me some XeroShoes
    “An optimist is a man who plants two acorns and buys a hammock.” ― Jean de Lattre de Tassigny

Hammock
    hennessy scout (making new DIY)
    Tarp
    DIY hex
    Insulation
    down quilts
    Suspension
    dynaglide UCR
    Quote Originally Posted by rais'n hammock View Post
    Spoken like a true Engineer. And I totally agree. If these tests are conducted in the material creation the results would be very helpful in comparison of one fabric to another.
    Which I am. Glad you agree. Hope Kyle or someone involved will read and decide to do something about it. Would be great. I dont know for others, but we who are inclined to numbers would appreciate that very much.

Hammock
    Chameleon
    Tarp
    DIY (Olive Oyl)
    Insulation
    [allergic to down]
    Images
    RSBTR has done some testing: https://ripstopbytheroll.com/blogs/the-grid-online-blog
    Perhaps you could encourage them to do more, and be more 'scientific'

On all nylon ripstop fabrics that are manufactured for the United States military the tensile strength and other specifications are posted with the mil spec. For example, the 40 Denier Nylon Ripstop has the tensile strength posted on page 4 MIL - PRF - 43473G Type I.

• + New Posts