Insulation advice (warm and dry)

Going to hike the Buffalo River Trail (north west Arkansas) next week. Expected lows are in the mid 50s and conditions should be dry (if not humid though). All I have by way of insulation is 20 degree down (TQ and UQ). I feel like that's not only overkill in terms of weight but more importantly I'm afraid I'll roast. I've been wanting a 50 degree setup but it's too late to order something like that from EE (obviously).

I could always take something like a blanket from home but that's likely to be heavier than my quilts. I have a thin pad I could lay on but I've never actually slept a whole night on one and find them difficult to deal with and uncomfortable.

Hammock
    DIY 11' Hexon 1.6 wide
    Tarp
    DIY 12' Hex
    Insulation
    DIY Costco TQ, UQ
    Suspension
    DIY hugs, whoopies
    You could just loosen up the suspension on your 20* UQ a little and you should be ok there. A 20* TQ can be vented, but then you have hot and cold spots. I don't like to do that.

A Costco/Bed Bath & Beyond Down throw UQ/TQ would be perfect. I know that they are in stock now at Costco. The Gemini UQ/TQ is a quick build if you have Cam snaps and the tool. If you don't, you could either sew a quick TQ, or even safety pin (lots of safety pins) one together.

Or, go to Wal Mart and buy a cheap 40-50* sleeping bag to use as a TQ. Pass it on to someone else after your trip.

Hammock
    Amok Draumr 3.0
    Tarp
    Amok
    Insulation
    Synmat 9 LW
    Suspension
    cinch buckles
    a quick costco setup is super doable if you can sew even rudimentary straight lines

you don't even have to initially mod the blankets themselves. just sew 2 straight lines to the TQ to make a quick footbox, and fold over the sides and hem for quick channel on the UQ and you're gtg

Hammock
    DIY Hexon 1.0, Hexon 1.6
    Tarp
    WB Mountainfly
    Insulation
    HG UQ's, EE TQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Mantis
    Yeah, you'll likely be somewhat uncomfortable, but not miserable.

I'd go for the 40deg from EE myself, though. And make a 50deg COSTCO!!!!!

Hammock
    DIY 11' Hexon 1.6 wide
    Tarp
    DIY 12' Hex
    Insulation
    DIY Costco TQ, UQ
    Suspension
    DIY hugs, whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by Tikker View Post
    a quick costco setup is super doable if you can sew even rudimentary straight lines

you don't even have to initially mod the blankets themselves. just sew 2 straight lines to the TQ to make a quick footbox, and fold over the sides and hem for quick channel on the UQ and you're gtg
    My wife and I both have un-seamripped Costco TQs and we've comfortably had them down to 43* wearing just a long-sleeved t-shirt, sleep pants and wool socks. I will say that that is probably the lowest I'd go with them unless you have clothing to supplement.

I also have a Gemini set that is seam ripped. The last time we were out, it was 55* and I was too warm with the single "Pollux" UQ under me, and my un-seamripped TQ. I actually woke up sweaty at around 2 am.

Hammock
    HG,Dutch,XLC ,RR
    Tarp
    Superfly, AH hex,
    Insulation
    HG, Snugpak, SLD
    Suspension
    Whoopie Ti toggle
    Images
    +1 on the CDT set. I had another forum member who can sew make a set for me. I had him seam rip and add overstuff from a large vest to the UQ and last winter I used it w/ my Warbonnet XL sock into the mid 40's and was toasty warm. A few weeks ago I finished ripping all the horizontal seams on the TQ so it has vertical tubes of down and also added down from an old vest to it as well. I don't think I could use the TQ that low, but 50° and a little below if def doable I think. I think it cost me around 60$ or so for him to make them and ship it to me.... Not bad for a lightweight down set that perfect for 3 seasons. Or you could go with a Snugpak UQ/TQ set that's great at those temps and down to 32° or so.....
    " The best pace is a suicide pace, and today looks like a good day to die." ~ Steve Prefontaine

Hammock
    Towns-End
    Tarp
    WB, Towns-End, UGQ
    Insulation
    LSOH, JRB, UGQ
    Suspension
    Straps & Buckles
    Images
    Id for sure use the UQ. I know the area well, will be pretty warm at first, but cools off near the water good at night. I use a fleece TQ in warm weather, but if you need something fast, JRB has a sale on Sierra stealths that pretty good and ships fast! If I wasn't the other direction (couple hours east) I'd let you use one of my 40's.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by kc_joe View Post
    Going to hike the Buffalo River Trail (north west Arkansas) next week. Expected lows are in the mid 50s and conditions should be dry (if not humid though). All I have by way of insulation is 20 degree down (TQ and UQ). I feel like that's not only overkill in terms of weight but more importantly I'm afraid I'll roast. I've been wanting a 50 degree setup but it's too late to order something like that from EE (obviously).

I could always take something like a blanket from home but that's likely to be heavier than my quilts. I have a thin pad I could lay on but I've never actually slept a whole night on one and find them difficult to deal with and uncomfortable.
    I had similar conditions about 2 weeks ago. I took my 20 degree gear and it was just fine. If it's too hot, just peel it back a bit. Stick your feet out. Whatever. No need to go buy more stuff.

Banned
    Hammock
    Sold
    Insulation
    Varies
    Suspension
    Depends
    Quote Originally Posted by leiavoia View Post
    I had similar conditions about 2 weeks ago. I took my 20 degree gear and it was just fine. If it's too hot, just peel it back a bit. Stick your feet out. Whatever. No need to go buy more stuff.
    The above is my answer.
    First I just lay my TQ next to the side I do not exit from. When I get chilly I pull the TQ over my mid section. If needed I cover up more, my feet are last.

So far I have not needed to vent my 20 F UQ. Only the TQ.

We have been Hanging for several years now, I have never wished for summer quilts. My Cold Winter DIY and my 20F work very well.

• + New Posts