Quote Originally Posted by Two Tents View Post
My 2¢. I was a tester way back. It took a bunch of trial & error, getting in and out of the hammock getting things dialed in using the uqp to hold things in place. In short I found if using an inflatable pad it preformed the best when it was under inflated. Closed cell foam works the best in my opinion but you need adjust the uqp so it is almost like its a double layer for the bottom of the hammock. Of all the pads ( Klymit, Neoair, Thermarest, Big Agnes and multiple adjustments & various tries the best I had good success with was the thinlite one from Gossamer Gear. Then I sealed the deal by upgrading to the wide one they offer for hammocks. That combo pad and uqp is what I use when I carry this particular set up. Recap... Inflatable gets way under inflated for best performance and closed cell foam needs have the uqp suspension fairly snug so you get the foam to follow your body contours in the loaded hammock. Both require a little time and effort to dial in. Now, after a bunch of nights use, I can tell by looking at it if its good for the matt I'm using. I can adjust from the hammock if I get it close. Hope this clarifies some. Peace, Two Tents & ben
Thanks for the info. Using the UQP as like a double-layer was my intention. Thanks for the tip of under-inflating the pad, and which pads you found worked best for you. From what you have said, it takes some time to get dialed in but after a while with practice you can do so quicker. This sounds fine to me. I will eventually get an UQ and use it when I know there should be no need to go to ground. When I know I'll need (or probably need) to go to ground I can take the matt. If I have to fiddle with and take a bit of time to setup that's a fair trade-off IMO for the go-to-ground capability.