Warbonnet Superfly
    Insulation
    WB Wooki & Mamba
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings

Question Best underquilt for a Chameleon

Hi Guy's,

Hoping to get some info on Underquilts.

I am getting a second setup for my wife and we are looking at the Chameleon.

Our concern is the underquilt. Looks like we would have to go with an after market quilt and nothing really looks like it will fit the Chameleon very well.

After market quilts all seem to be like sleeping bags without zippers. This means that no matter the lay of your hammock, you are going to get cocooned into a straight tube dictated by the quilt. The impression I have is that the quilt restricts the ability to properly lay on the diagonal.

I myself went with a Blackbird and Wookie so I don't have this issue although I am limited to only a right handed lay.

One of the features of the Chameleon is the ability to select your position from a four way perspective.

Does anyone know of an underquilt specifically for the Chameleon that would allow the option of the four way lay without being restricted in a tube?

Thanks for any advise any of you can give.

Hammock
    11' 1.2 Robic XL
    Tarp
    Misc DIY ones
    Insulation
    Downy Goodness
    Suspension
    UHMWPE Straps
    Images
    Actually pretty much any underquilt, save mayber the Wookie, will fit the chameleon just fine. Both my homemade quilts and my Loco Libre quilt fit the Chameleon perfectly.
    73 de W4BKR

Not all who wander are lost... - J.R.R. Tolkein
    ...Besides, if we get lost, we just pull in somewheres and ask directions - Captain Ron

The ever striving gram weenie...always updated with the next trip

Hammock
    LSOH Warrior Edge
    Tarp
    OES MacCat
    Insulation
    UGQ UQ, EE TQ
    Suspension
    Cinch Buckles
    Any of the cottage vendors underquilts would work great. The underquilts use shock cord for their suspension and do not dictate your lay in the hammock.

The Chameleon has quilt clips that you can use on whichever side you lay on to "pull up" the quilt so it will cover your head and feet.

Hammock
    WB XLC 1.7 DL
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    HG Inc10°/Bur10°
    Suspension
    Webbing/Buckles
    Images
    I have HG UQs and they fit the Chameleon great. I assume most if not all UQs made for GE hammocks will fit perfectly. In fact, the Chameleon holds an UQ (with its UQ hooks) better than any hammock I have seen/tried. Snug and secure. Its one of the best characteristics of the Chameleon for me.
    “The word hammockable (Meaning: two trees that are the perfect distance apart between which a hammock can be hung) is not in the dictionary, but it should be.”

Hammock
    Amok Draumr 3.0
    Tarp
    Amok
    Insulation
    Synmat 9 LW
    Suspension
    cinch buckles
    there's nothing especially different about the shape of the chameleon. any underquilt is going to work pretty much just fine on it (yeti style may need some adjustment, but also, maybe not)

Hammock
    Dutch/SLD/WB/DIY
    Tarp
    DWG/HG/SLD/UGQ/DIY
    Insulation
    Loco Libre Gear
    Suspension
    Dutchware
    Agreed. I'm not quite sure how you came to the conclusion that the Chamelon is hard to fit with underquilts, but that is NOt my experience. (For the record I have three Chameleons and lots of different UQs.)

In addition to various DIY UQs, my Chameleon easily accepts my AHE and UGQ underquilts of varying lengths, even without using the accessory quilt hooks features on the hammock, but my LLG underquilts fit best.
    Smart graphic design for all your needs by BGD

Hammock
    WBBB SL 1.7
    Tarp
    WB Mamajamba
    Insulation
    WB 0° Wooki +3oz
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by esmith View Post
    Does anyone know of an underquilt specifically for the Chameleon that would allow the option of the four way lay without being restricted in a tube?
    So you're basically looking for a bi-directional Wooki? That doesn't exist (yet). But you could sew one yourself. It would be heavier than any other underquilt, though, because you need to insulate a much larger area. Even if you make the insulated part x-shaped.

Hammock
    Amok Draumr 3.0
    Tarp
    Amok
    Insulation
    Synmat 9 LW
    Suspension
    cinch buckles
    Bi directional yet diy is simple actually. Just take a rectangular uq and turn it into a hammock itself. Red oleary and others have posted versions of it in the diy section

Hammock
    WBBB SL 1.7
    Tarp
    WB Mamajamba
    Insulation
    WB 0° Wooki +3oz
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Tikker View Post
    Bi directional yet diy is simple actually. Just take a rectangular uq and turn it into a hammock itself. Red oleary and others have posted versions of it in the diy section
    That will only work if the underquilt you start out with is at least 57" wide. Even extra wide underquilts are much more narrow. I have tested an insulated hammock that used this concept (from Arbora Hammocks), and if the insulation is centered, both parts of your upper body as well as the lower legs end up in the uninsulated area. Not nice. If you are going down the DIY route and want to make it as easy as possible, simply get a layer of Climashield and sew it on a piece of fabric that has roughly the same dimensions as your hammock. Of course it needs an outer shell as well. But it should still be straight forward. Just be aware that the result will be a lot more bulky and heavy, because you are using almost 1/3 more insulation than you normally would.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird XLC
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Superfly
    Insulation
    WB Wooki & Mamba
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Well, I hear what you are all telling me. I have no reasonable basis for thinking an aftermarket UQ will not fit a Chameleon other than the fact one isn't made specifically for it. I understand this is not necessarily the best line of thinking but I have to start somewhere.

I am a little OCD with my gear. I like everything to look and fit together as if it was made to be one system. A one stop shop appeals to me a lot for this reason. The BB and Wookie I can order from the same manufacturer (Along with a superfly) all in the same colour and it is all sized and fit to work as one unit. I like that. It's not right or wrong, just my preference. I'm going to get the top quilt from Warbonnet to complete the system.

That said. I also want to try other manufacturers gear. The Chameleon really stands out in my mind and appeals to my wife as does The Little Shop of Hammocks Warrior. Now. all of these hammocks have varying shapes yet the under quilts are all rectangles. Am I completely out to lunch to think an under quilt is not necessarily a one size fits all solution?

I hear you guy's suggesting a DIY solution. Sounds simple enough but I have no skill set in that area and it would be an uphill climb from the get go. I'd rather be out hanging than inside slaving over a sewing machine.

I'll keep up the search. Thanks!

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast