SLD Trail Lair/WB XLC
    Tarp
    SLD Trail Haven
    Insulation
    HG, WB and WL
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images

Grand Island, Michigan Backpacking Trip (August 2017)

Just returned home the other day from a great trip to Grand Island in northern Michigan. I'll warn ya now, I tend to ramble on and post quite a few pics, much like our friend Michigandave. Hopefully this report will help someone else who plans on going to the island, just like Michigandave's trip reports have helped me in the past.

Grand Island is located in Lake Superior, just off of the north shore of the upper peninsula and near the city of Munising, MI. Michigandave had made a video and trip report of his trip on the island a few years ago, and he was a lot of help in my planning this trip. I should make note that this trip was my first "real" backpacking trip as well as my first time backpacking with my Labrador retriever, Fletcher.

DAY 1...I left home in northeast Indiana on the morning of Wednesday August 23rd. We own a few acres outside of Trout Lake, MI in the upper peninsula and I planned to stop in that area for the first night since I wouldn't make it to Munising on time to catch the ferry ride over to the island. Normally I would have crashed at my brother in law's cabin, but he had told me the driveway was terribly muddy right now and he suggested I don't try it. He didn't want me to get stuck, nor did he want his driveway torn up any more than it already was. I was good with that, so I drove out to the Hiawatha National Forest and pitched my camp in the Pine River campground for the night. Primitive camping only (and free), plus the North Country Trail (NCT) goes right through the campground on it's way north (or south if you're headed that way). Once camp was set up, I threw the frisbee for Fletcher to fetch and then we took a quick mile or two hike on the NCT. It was great weather and a quick spray of OFF held the few mosquitos at bay. Fletcher slept in the back of the truck while I slept like a baby in my Warbonnet BB XLC and under my brand new Simply Light Designs Winter Haven tarp. Pics from day one...

Crossing the Mackinac Bridge...

Camp all set up at the Pine River campground...

Fletcher on the NCT...

DAY 2...Thursday morning we woke up early, packed up camp and pointed the truck east to Munising. To get to Grand Island, most people use the Grand Island Ferry Service where for $15 you get a quick ride on a pontoon boat over to the island and back. Not to mention, you get to park your vehicle in their parking lot for the duration of your stay. Once we were dropped off at William's Landing on the island, I put Fletcher's pack on him and then put my own on. It wasn't long and we were headed towards our first campsite on the island, the campsite called Gamefence. The hike went by quickly and easily. I had camp all set up by about 1pm. Fletcher and I headed just across the trail to get some of the firewood that the US Forest Service provides for free at some campsites, and to explore the beach nearby. No one else was on the beach, so I let Fletcher off leash just long enough to run and swim in Lake Superior. It was a fantastic first night on the island.

Grand Island Ferry Service in Munising, MI...

Starting on the trail...

Camp all set up...

Fletch enjoys the beach life for a bit...

Another view of camp...

Watching the sunset through the trees, from the hammock...

Last edited by Big Flounder; 08-28-2017 at 23:54.
    -Jameson
    Proud Member of the North Country Trail Association-Hiawatha Shore to Shore Chapter
    http://www.northcountrytrail.org/

Hammock
    SLD Trail Lair/WB XLC
    Tarp
    SLD Trail Haven
    Insulation
    HG, WB and WL
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    DAY 3...Again Fletcher and I were up early, packed up and hit the trail. I had heard nothing but great things concerning our next campsite, Preservation Point, and was anxious to get there. We encountered several mountain bikers that passed by along with a few other backpackers. It seemed wherever we stopped for a lunch or water break, Fletcher made new friends and soaked up the attention. We stopped at one point for lunch and shared some beef jerky, dehydrated banana chips and a Cliff bar which we washed down with water filtered that morning from Lake Superior. Then it was on to continue our hike. By the time we reached Preservation Point, we were both tired and ready to relax. After setting up camp, we walked a small path out of the back of the campsite to find one of the neatest "back porches" I've ever seen. The USFS had two benches in place so that you could sit on top of the point and look out over Lake Superior. Fletch and I spent quite a bit of the evening sitting here just taking in the sights and sounds, including watching the sunset. The only downside to this campsite is the lack of water. Unless you can fly, you're not going to filter water from the atop the cliffs and there were no nearby creeks that provided easy access or weren't filled with some pretty nasty swamp water. We had packed two full 32 oz bottles but Fletch and I used both of them that evening to stay hydrated and cook dinner. I knew this would mean no morning coffee (GASP!) but I knew we would hit water not terribly far into the next day's hike.

All packed up and ready to go...

My buddy...

Obligatory trail selfie. I was feeling pretty good at this point, but end of the next day I would be hurting and exhausted. More to come on that.

Poor Fletch, like most dogs, just couldn't avoid getting himself tangled up whenever he was tied up. Here he's tied up waiting for me to get lunch ready at a scenic overlook.

View from the overlook, our lunch spot for the day...

The trail is, for the most part, a two track type trail and very well maintained/groomed...

Photos simply don't do this island and its scenery justice...

The "back porch" at Preservation Point campsite...

View from the "back porch"...

All set for the evening at Preservation Point...

Camp at Preservation Point...

These warnings and rules are posted at each and every campsite. Also, bear poles to hang your food packs are also in place at each site. I didn't see any bears, nor did I see any signs of them such as scat or tracks, but I nonetheless hung my food pack and Fletcher's pack that held his dog food each night...

One of my favorite reads, especially when in the upper peninsula of Michigan. While I should have left it at home to avoid carrying extra weight, I'm glad I took it. Spending a few hours each evening just laying in the hammock and reading was super relaxing.

Another view from the "back porch" at Preservation Point...

Watching the sunset from the "back porch"...

Yet another view from the "back porch"...

-Jameson
    Proud Member of the North Country Trail Association-Hiawatha Shore to Shore Chapter

Hammock
    SLD Trail Lair/WB XLC
    Tarp
    SLD Trail Haven
    Insulation
    HG, WB and WL
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    DAY 4...This would prove to be the most brutal part of the trip for me. We were up early again and got on the trail by 7:30 a.m. It was easy to tell we were the first ones on the trail that morning as it seemed I was busting cobwebs with my face every ten minutes. We hiked a while and I felt like we were making really good time, despite how sore my legs and shoulders were getting already. So when we seen a small boardwalk going to what is called North Beach, I decided it was time again to let Fletcher run and swim for a bit while I watered up. I was pleasantly surprised when I walked out onto North Beach as once again we had it all to ourselves. North Beach had to be one of the most beautiful spots on the island in my opinion. A small bay with a soft, sandy beach surrounded by the type of cliffs that Lake Superior is so well known for. Once I had filtered/refilled our water supply, I put Fletcher back on the leash and continued down the trail. The rest of the hike from North Beach down to Driftwood campsite was pretty much hiking through woods with just a few scenic spots. Our hike this day was 8.5 miles from campsite to campsite, which isn't much for most of you, but for me it was rough. I'm out of shape and the gradual hills and weight of the pack were taking their toll on my body. However, much like a day bailing hay or high school football practice, it was the kind of soreness that somehow felt fulfilling. Upon arrival at our last campsite for the trip, I took off our packs and headed straight for the private path that led out the back of our site and to the beach along Trout Bay. Fletch wasted no time diving into the cold water of Lake Superior while I slipped off my hiking boots and socks, then waded into the cool water. I swear I heard my feet scream "Thank you!" The rest of the evening was spent listening to Fletcher snore on the pine needle covered forest floor outside of my hammock while I relaxed and read more of Hemingway's book. It was a wonderful way to end a long day.

Camp at the Driftwood campsite...

More of the Driftwood campsite...

The area that Driftwood and a few other campsites are located on is called a Tombolo. What's a Tombolo you ask? Here you go...

The area near Driftwood is a day use area, where visitors to the island and boaters anchoring off shore enjoy a picnic or whatever. Unfortunately, with the campsite being less remote than others, it had the most trash and I spent some time cleaning up the campsite before we left. Nonetheless, it's a beautiful area.

Day 5...Sunday morning I woke up and although my original plan was to stay two more nights at Driftwood campsite, I opted to head home early. The weather was looking crappy for the day and I had things I needed to get done at home, so once again I packed up camp and we hit the trail. This time it was just a 3 mile hike back out to William's Landing and we would make it just in time to catch the 10 o'clock ferry back to the mainland and my waiting truck. Still, I could feel my feet were blistered from the day before and that 3 mile hike wasn't as much fun as it should have been. Once back on the mainland, I loaded our gear and Fletcher into the truck and pointed the truck back towards home. It was a great trip and I was filled with a sort of self accomplishment. To many it wasn't much, but for a 47 year old fat guy who had never backpacked before, it was pretty cool. Hope you enjoyed the trip report!

OF NOTE...On the way to and from Munising, I drove through the little town of Seney, MI. Just another little UP town to most, but to fans of Ernest Hemingway, it should ring a bell. In his story "The Big Two Hearted River" the character Nick Adams begins his fly fishing/camping adventure by getting off the train in Seney and looking down from a railroad bridge into the waters of the Fox River (Hemingway changed the name of the river in the story in favor of the nearby Two Hearted River). I drove a few blocks out of the way just to get a picture of THE bridge. One of these days I plan on backpacking the Fox River Pathway with fly rod in hand.

LAST BUT NOT LEAST...I marked my route on the map for reference. This is also the same route that Michigandave took if you want to view his YouTube video of that trip... https://youtu.be/pkIXW59pQoc We both hiked the trail clockwise, starting at William's Landing (1 on the map). Then on to GameFence campsite (2), Preservation Point (3) and finally to Driftwood (4). Hope this helps future visitors to Grand Island.

Last edited by Big Flounder; 08-29-2017 at 00:03.
    -Jameson

Nice report! Wow, those pictures brought back some great memories. It really is amazing how well maintained the campsites are and it still boggles my mind that they deliver cut wood to the sites. Just like my trip a couple years ago, you had perfect weather.

When I was there, I had bear signs all over...lots of tracks and poop. In fact, at Preservation Point, I found fresh bear tracks right through my campsite that weren't there when I had left to get water down at North Beach. In fact, a couple years previous to when I went, my cousin took pictures of a bear foraging through their tent and gear...the left shortly after. If I recall, 2 years ago the island had bear issues and a number of them were removed.

Fletcher sure looks like a happy guy! Congrats on your first solo trip! It takes time to get everything dialed in just right, but you're on your way. Glad my trip report could be of some use!

Hammock
    DIY,Speer,Tbird, JRB
    Tarp
    HG CF, MacCat, GG
    Insulation
    HG,JRB,Speer,UGQ
    Suspension
    numerous, seasonal
    Images
    That looks like a great trip, great campsites and scenery

Thanks for sharing the adventure
    Life's A Journey
    It's not to arrive safely at the grave in a well preserved body,
    But rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting,
    Woo Hoo!....What a Ride!

My PHOTOS

My VIDEOS

Hammock
    Warbonnet RR / BlackbirdXLC
    Tarp
    SimplyLightDesigns
    Insulation
    Lynx / LocoLibre
    Suspension
    webbing/buckles
    Images
    That sure is a beautiful area. Sounds like you had a trip to remember (in a good way). Thanks for the report and sharing your trip with us.

Hammock
    DIY 10.5' HyperD 1.6
    Tarp
    Warbonnet, SLD
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WB Straps+Buckles
    Images
    Great views!! Sure wish I could have made it with you...blame the wife We'll catch up soon enough though.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 dbl & XLC
    Tarp
    Big MJ & Superfly
    Insulation
    Yeti & 2 Wookies
    Suspension
    Stock straps
    Images
    WOW !!! Thank you for sharing this Trip Report. Would have been great to have been there with you. Just my speed... Maybe someday!

Hammock
    SLD Trail Lair/WB XLC
    Tarp
    SLD Trail Haven
    Insulation
    HG, WB and WL
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by markr6 View Post
    Great views!! Sure wish I could have made it with you...blame the wife We'll catch up soon enough though.
    Mark, I wish you could have made it too. All I could think of, when I decided to hike out two days early, is that Mark is going to kill me. Lol! If I had known I was going to cut the trip short, we probably could have made it work. That being said, I told Dave that I was kind of glad you didn't go just because I would have been really embarrassed by both how out of shape I am plus the way Fletcher was ignoring many commands. Too many new smells and sights for him I guess, but he was a handful when hiking, even on the leash. I'm not convinced that hiking with a dog is all it's cracked up to be. HA! However, I'm ready for a short hike and camp weekend with you come October!
    -Jameson

Hammock
    WB RR
    Tarp
    BMJ Spinn.& DIY
    Insulation
    Incubator & Burrow
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    I really enjoyed the trip report and photos, thanks for,posting them.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast