Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Descender rings

Descender rings

Does anyone still use descender rings? I'm thinking about putting them on my camping hammock. Is there anything I should consider before I get them?

Tim, 93JeepYJ

Hammock
    Varies
    Tarp
    GargoyleGear Ogee
    Insulation
    UQ-varies w/season
    Suspension
    Dutchgear
    Yes. Consider all of the better choices. I started with rings 9 years ago, and want nothing more to do with them.
    Dave

"Loneliness is the poverty of self; solitude is the richness of self."~~~May Sarton

Quote Originally Posted by oldgringo View Post
    Yes. Consider all of the better choices. I started with rings 9 years ago, and want nothing more to do with them.
    Thank you for your opinion, however, I kinda wanted examples of what the suck or don't.

Tim, 93JeepYJ

Hammock
    Varies
    Tarp
    GargoyleGear Ogee
    Insulation
    UQ-varies w/season
    Suspension
    Dutchgear
    They slip under a load. That's no opinion. Yes, you can back them up with a half hitch, but that doesn't change the fact that they are an inferior solution.
    Dave

"Loneliness is the poverty of self; solitude is the richness of self."~~~May Sarton

Hammock
    Chameleon clone
    Tarp
    Cowboy Badlander
    Suspension
    WB Cinch Buckles
    Images
    The SMC ones are pretty sweet. Cheap, light, and strong as hell. They work decently as cinch buckles, but it's a good idea to back them up with a half-hitch. Alternatively, consider the triangle cinch buckles from Warbonnet or AHE. In my experience, those are more foolproof and never require a back-up hitch.
    "Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates." -Mark Twain

Hammock
    AHE 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    AHE Shangi La
    Insulation
    KAQ Prototype
    Suspension
    AHE Whoopie Slings
    Heed that advice of Gringos, one of the most exsperinced hammockers on the forum. Who has used and tested as well as been the one calling for several innovations that we all use in current suspensions. Rings are heavy, cumbersome, they slip, if used on rope they will destroy it, and need extra steps to function properly...slipped half. They were at one time the best that was available, as gringo said that was 9+ years ago. Many better, lighter more reliable options available now.
    Arrowhead Equipment -- For all your hammock camping and backpacking gear
    Arrowhead-Equipment.com Visit AHE on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Check out pictures on Instagram

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    HGCub/Deluxe Spinn
    Insulation
    HGP/SSF/JRBHR/HGBu
    Suspension
    line/ring/strap
    Quote Originally Posted by oldgringo View Post
    They slip under a load. That's no opinion. Yes, you can back them up with a half hitch, but that doesn't change the fact that they are an inferior solution.
    Hmmmphf. I do still use them. They provide good hang length adjustability, have secondary uses and "a half hitch in mine seems fine."
    CMFSAT

Hammock
    WBRR, Numerous DIY
    Tarp
    Winter Palace WBCB
    Insulation
    WB Lynx HG TQ, UQ
    Suspension
    Strap/SMC Ring
    I have a descender ring girth hitched to the CL on each end of the hammock. The only other piece of suspension is the tree strap (10-12') which I attach to the ring with a slippery girth hitch. It's very easy and quick to attach, adjust, or remove and I have never had a single slippage. Straps are separate when wet plus the ring provides a good water break when raining. I have tried, made, used, experimented with every suspension possible and although this may be slightly heavier than some, the simplicity, ability to use closer trees when necessary, and ease of use has had me convert all my hammocks over to it, including a Ridgerunner (replaced the triangle apex connector with a descender ring). Just my 1 & 1/2 cents.

Hammock
    DIY Argon 1.6
    Tarp
    DIY
    Insulation
    DIY Down UQ
    Suspension
    Turtle Ties
    Images
    I use Speed Hooks, Dutch Buckles, Dutch Cinch Buckles, Dutch Titanium Cinch Buckles, Spiders, Warbonnet buckles and sometimes toggles. They all work fine for me. I quit using descender rings because of their tendency to slip. YMMV.
    Omnia vincit lectulus pensilis.

Hammock
    HH Expedition, HH Explorer Dlx
    Tarp
    Noah 12, BCUSA 10
    Insulation
    JRB Nest, Old Rag
    Suspension
    Stock HH w/rings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by 93jeepYJ View Post
    Does anyone still use descender rings? I'm thinking about putting them on my camping hammock. Is there anything I should consider before I get them?

Tim, 93JeepYJ
    I still use them.

Yes, they will slip under load. That is why you always need to tie a slippery half hitch behind them (or some kind of easy to untie knot)

Yes, if you continually use the exact same place in a rope, they will compress it. Obviously I don't reuse the same place.

I have used most of the other solutions and continue to return to my rings. Why? Because they are easy to adjust and work well for me. Your mileage may not be the same. Also, I am not an ultra light hiker and mostly base camp with day hikes so weight is a non issue. If you are a hiker, you might want to consider something lighter.
    Deb
    TOS Terms of Service Link
    Guidelines to New For Sale Section Link
    How to obtain access & maintain your threads in For Sale Section Link
    Guidelines for Want to Buy (WTB) Section
    Hammock Acronyms

"The older I get, the more I appreciate my rural childhood. I spent a lot of time outdoors, unsupervised, which is a blessing." Barbara Kingsolver

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast