WBBB SL 1.7
    Tarp
    WB Mamajamba
    Insulation
    WB 0° Wooki +3oz
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Images
    Been there, done that. Creating a "truly flat lay" doesn't work because the fabric is not ridgid. When you lengthen the side portion beyond a certain point, it will simply fall away and you'll be left with a narrow ridge. It looks like this:

The concept only works, when you use ridgid material or make the fabric more ridgid by e.g. adding a pad. There are two commercial hammocks that use this principle: the Amok Draumr and the Hammock Bliss Sky Bed. Both don't really work without a pad. And the pad needs to be fairly ridgid in order to create a really comfortable lay.

I'm still experimenting with shaped hammock bodies, but since I don't want to add a pad, I have flattened the curve considerably. This can improve the lay somewhat, but it's a fine line. Commercially available hammocks that are shaped a bit but don't need a pad other than for insulation are the 90° hammock and the Pak-It-Lite hammocks (I think).

Overall I found that it's easier to create a flat lay by using a suitable fabric and finding the length that works best for you. Also, the ridgeline-to-hammock ratio is important. Getting a shaped hammock right takes a lot of trial and error. But if you want to try it yourself, here's a good starting point:
    https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...ter-Tablecloth

Hammock
    DIY Argon 1.6
    Tarp
    DIY
    Insulation
    DIY Down UQ
    Suspension
    Turtle Ties
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by 1-Hung-Low View Post
    I can see "what a tangled web we weave trying to set that up in the dark while it's raining. Probably quite comfortable, but soooo easy to tangle.
    Tangling is not an issue since the lines can be stored in "snakeskins". They are visible right under the ridgeline.
    Omnia vincit lectulus pensilis.

Hammock
    Amok Draumr 3.0
    Tarp
    Amok
    Insulation
    Synmat 9 LW
    Suspension
    cinch buckles
    what OP describes in original post is almost exactly the exped ergo scout combi, I think: it's basically like the amok, or 90 degree, but 45ish degrees i think

http://www.exped.com/usa/en/blog/bac...-hammock-combi

https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...ed-scout-combi
    coivered here, years ago

The existence of the examples so far shows the approach has some merit but it seems like the extra effort doesn't have enough practical benefit compared to the simpler options.

I'm not keen on the nettles in the ergo scout combo and the 90 degree hammock but the sky bed is lacking the footbox shaping that I hoped would allow for a shorter ridgeline.

Hopefully in the future I'll be able to experiment and find out for myself.

Hammock
    Amok Draumr 3.0
    Tarp
    Amok
    Insulation
    Synmat 9 LW
    Suspension
    cinch buckles
    the problem is you have to find a way to tension the outer bits of the hammock

gathered end is easy, as the each edge just runs back to a point (same as a bridge hammock, but uses spreader bars to keep edges from collapsing)

the amok has just 3 straps that lead to a very close point, but you NEED a vertical baffled pad to accompany it

90 degree works around that by using nettles

if you wanted to get 30 or 45 degrees you need to use these things

I don't think there's really any way around it. you either use added suspension (nettles/guy lines) or you add a rigid member to the frame (air pad, or some sort of spreader bar)

you're just not going to be able to maintain tension in fabric without it

I was under the impression a panel of fabric could replace the nettles. You say the amok has three straps but it also has a massive amount of body fabric. Unless the nettles themselves are adjustable in length how are they different to a fabric panel?

Hammock
    Amok Draumr 3.0
    Tarp
    Amok
    Insulation
    Synmat 9 LW
    Suspension
    cinch buckles
    the straps that are circled are where the support comes from. the fabric around is really just bug barrier. and they are individually adjustable in the amok. this is how you get recline mode in it, and can adjust under the knee tension, etc

amok_straps.jpg

but yes, you could replace nettles with fabric, but I suspect the reason everyone else does it differently is because it's problematic to do so

You might also be interested in this thread.

I had similar thoughts, and experimented with shapes the way leiavoia describes, with a simple piece of cloth and gathered ends whipped with a knot like this. I wasn't able to find a shape that worked like you describe, but my testing was limited. Wish I had more time to play with it. It does SEEM like altering the shape of a gathered end should improve comfort, but perhaps it's just a Holy Grail.

Hammock
    Hennessy hammock
    Tarp
    Hennessy tarp
    I agree with you. I didnt saw new design. Change dimension, change material or combine function. Same umbrella, hundred years still same or change a little bit.

But it's hard to design. I try to re design longggggg times. OK i found some points to fix banana lay. But I found the true things too. Many users still believe in gathered end hammock, denies others design. when i ask them 'No!' 'Never!' etc.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12