Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Help me out...please

I've been lurking on the forum for a year give or take. Can't really say what got me interested in hammock camping, but something did. Anyways, I picked up a cheap hammock off of Amazon last Black Friday and used it for the first time earlier this spring.

I've had back problems ever since I was a teen (45 now). The comfort the first time I tried out the hammock was unreal. My back pain simply wasn't there. Now if that was all to the story, this post would be useless

Anyway, the first two nights out I made it in a couple hours before I got too cold. It took a long time to fall asleep, which from reading here appears to be a common event for new hammock sleepers. Lots of reading here got me through that, and the third night I slept through the night. My back felt great, but I had the worse sore throat in memory. You see, I do not sleep on my back, and apparently I snore even worse than normal when I did sleep on my back in the hammock.

So now I was on a quest to figure out a hammock system that would work for me. So far that quest has not been successful. The first hammock did not have a bug net, so I picked up a Hennessy hammock. It isn't working out at all. Feels too small, even though it is the larger version. I've tried it out three separate nights, it doesn't seem to be getting better.

In a bed, I sleep half way between my side and stomach. I'm 5'9", 250 lbs. Please give me some suggestions, I really want to find the perfect hammock for me.

Thank
    Pete

Hammock
    DH Raven/Darien
    Tarp
    WB Mountainfly
    Insulation
    Loco Libre/HG/SLD
    Suspension
    Myerstech/Becket
    Some folks can side-sleep in a gathered end hammock, but I have never been able to find a comfortable way to do that. I just sleep on my back, and am fine.

You could check out the Warbonnet Ridgerunner- which is a bridge-style hammock. Or you could try a 90° hammock, such as the Gamma UL hammock tent or Amok Draumr 3.0. Both of those use an inflatable pad for support/insulation, and to achieve a flat lay.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Hammock
    HH Expedition, HH Explorer Dlx
    Tarp
    Noah 12, BCUSA 10
    Insulation
    JRB Nest, Old Rag
    Suspension
    Stock HH w/rings
    Images
    Welcome to Hammock Forums.

Each person is so different it is, IMO, almost impossible to recommend a solution. My solution probably would not work for you

What I will recommend is attending a hang event and checking out everyone's set up. That way you can actually see what people are talking about and most folks will let you kick off your shoes and actually lay in their set up.

Here is a thread of the one coming up in Oct in PA https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...ighlight=mahha

Good luck finding your solution.
    Deb
    TOS Terms of Service Link
    Guidelines to New For Sale Section Link
    How to obtain access & maintain your threads in For Sale Section Link
    Guidelines for Want to Buy (WTB) Section
    Hammock Acronyms

"The older I get, the more I appreciate my rural childhood. I spent a lot of time outdoors, unsupervised, which is a blessing." Barbara Kingsolver

Hammock
    Warbonnet RR / BlackbirdXLC
    Tarp
    SimplyLightDesigns
    Insulation
    Lynx / LocoLibre
    Suspension
    webbing/buckles
    Images
    Welcome to the quest. I would recommend buying "popular" hammocks and trying them out. If they do not work for you then you can sell them here at a slight loss. If you can find a group hang that would be one way of testing hammocks that support your weight range. You may want to check out the bridge hammock that is designed for us larger guys here:
    https://hammockforums.net/forum/show...-Bridge-update
    Last edited by TrailSlug; 08-25-2017 at 14:45.

Hammock
    Streamliner, Boone 30
    Tarp
    UGQ, Spinn Edge
    Insulation
    UGQ, SSUQ, Greyloc
    Suspension
    UCR's, Whoopies
    Images
    Hope you get it squared. The hammock really depends on what you are doing, backpacking, car camping, or bed replacement. +1 on the bridge options and Amok. I have tried bridges, plan to buy one since I like them so well. I have an Amok and love it, it's really a floating bed. Haven't tried the Gamma but they are very interesting and have a good rep.

2 Words, GROUP HANG.
    Give me more darkness said the blind man,
    Give me more folly said the fool,
    Give me stone silence said the deaf man,
    I didn't believe Sunday School.
    Phil Keaggy

Hammock
    DIY 11' Hexon 1.6 wide
    Tarp
    DIY 12' Hex
    Insulation
    DIY Costco TQ, UQ
    Suspension
    DIY hugs, whoopies
    I always try the cheap solution first, before spending on a more expensive one. I have an 11' Hexon 1.6 wide (72" wide"). If I slide toward the head end, I can side sleep in it. The longer length really helps that.

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    For me personally, I can't sleep on my side in a hammock - too uncomfortable. I also got the sore throat from snoring on my back (since I sleep on my side in a bed). I eventually learned that I needed to sleep in my hammock for a couple of nights before going out camping. I just had to learn to cock my head to the side to avoid the snoring and sore throat.
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Australia...Sub-Tropical Qld, Temperate Tasmania & Tropical Thailand
    Hammock
    Madtree Tarseer
    Tarp
    DIY Cuben
    Insulation
    Warm & fluffy
    Suspension
    Slings and Rings
    Images
    Back issues too.
    On my back I snore, on my side I don't...but I have to use a makeshift pillow of some kind for comfort/support.

After a day of exertion, go to bed hydrated. Breathing in cool cold air all night can also give you a sore/dry throat. I usually have a small bottle of water handy in the hammock if I wake up dry.
    Last edited by ofuros; 08-25-2017 at 14:22.
    Mountain views are good for the soul....& getting to them is good for my waistline.

https://ofuros.exposure.co/

Hammock
    WildernessLogics 12x6
    Tarp
    HG cuben 13ridge12
    Insulation
    TopQuiltUnderQuilt
    Suspension
    S and D

Help me out...please

Two words--get a Long Hammock----
    Eleven and Eleven Plus and while your at it Go Wide or Go Home.
    Your mileage may vary.
    And I hope you like what you get.

Phantom lost in a 12x6

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hammock
    Dutch Chameleon
    Tarp
    HG Cuban Palace
    Insulation
    HG Incub./Burrow
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckle
    Quote Originally Posted by JeepinPete View Post
    My back felt great, but I had the worse sore throat in memory. You see, I do not sleep on my back, and apparently I snore even worse than normal when I did sleep on my back in the hammock.
    You may want to look into a sleep study to determine if you have obstructive sleep apnea, like many of us snorers do. I need a CPAP regardless of where I sleep, but I've learned to make it work very well in my hammock.

In bed, I'm a side sleeper, but I sleep like a baby on my back when in a hammock - provided I'm using my CPAP. Otherwise, I get a terrible dry, sore throat and those around me get a sleepless night due to my snores.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast