Hammock
    DIY 1.1 yd/sq oz Basic Gathered End
    Tarp
    HG
    Insulation
    HG Phoenix
    Suspension
    UL Webbing
    Completed the Mississippi River trip. It was a very challenging trip, both physically and mentally....moreso than a thru-hike.

Hammock camping was do able the whole way. We slept on the ground only twice.

In general, campsites were difficult to find for both us and our tenting friends. The problem - poison ivy. It is pervasive along the entire river. South of Wisconsin it is not only on the ground but also growing up a lot of the trees. On occasion, we'd walk 5 minutes or more away from the river to get into the next vegetation layer which would have less ivy under growth.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    AT 2011, PCT 2012, LT 2013, WT 2013, JMT 2014, TRT 2014, WT 2014, AZT 2015, PCT 2016, CT 2017, MSR 2017, GET 2018, GDT 2018, TRT 2018, JMT 2018, MRT 2019, CDT 2020/2021
    My trail journals, tips, interviews - http://longdistancehiker.com (Trail Name 'Beardoh')

Hammock
    DIY TCF Sage Green
    Tarp
    Noah's Tarp 12x12
    Insulation
    MAMW TQ, UGQ UQ
    Suspension
    webbing/whoopies
    Images
    Sounds like a really epic trip. I'll have to check out your trail journals. Thanks for sharing!

Hammock
    Tarp
    HG
    Insulation
    HG Phoenix
    Suspension
    UL Webbing
    Thanks! @johnspenn

AT 2011, PCT 2012, LT 2013, WT 2013, JMT 2014, TRT 2014, WT 2014, AZT 2015, PCT 2016, CT 2017, MSR 2017, GET 2018, GDT 2018, TRT 2018, JMT 2018, MRT 2019, CDT 2020/2021
    My trail journals, tips, interviews - http://longdistancehiker.com (Trail Name 'Beardoh')

Hammock
    Warbonnet RR / BlackbirdXLC
    Tarp
    SimplyLightDesigns
    Insulation
    Lynx / LocoLibre
    Suspension
    webbing/buckles
    Images
    Bummer on the poison ivy. I never thought it would be THAT bad but that is a perfect environment for it.

Senior Member Tyroler Holzhacker's Avatar
    Hammock
    DH DL Sparrow/SL Darien
    Tarp
    MacCat/WBSuperfly
    Insulation
    LL/JRB/DIY down
    Suspension
    MSH/Whoopies/strps
    Images
    Huck Finn and Tom Sawyer have nothin' on you. Congrats on completing the EPIC journey of the mighty Mississippi. Amazing journey. Major bummer about the poison ivy, though. what size/brand/material of canoe did you use? Could you recommend a canoe to the members interested in becoming a canoe hammocker? Prefer something capable of long trips, and no more than 50 lbs for portaging.

Hammock
    Chameleon
    Tarp
    DIY (Olive Oyl)
    Insulation
    [allergic to down]
    Images
    Wenonah Spirit II kevlar ultralight = ~42 lbs

Hammock
    Tarp
    HG
    Insulation
    HG Phoenix
    Suspension
    UL Webbing
    Quote Originally Posted by Tyroler Holzhacker View Post
    Huck Finn and Tom Sawyer have nothin' on you. Congrats on completing the EPIC journey of the mighty Mississippi. Amazing journey. Major bummer about the poison ivy, though. what size/brand/material of canoe did you use? Could you recommend a canoe to the members interested in becoming a canoe hammocker? Prefer something capable of long trips, and no more than 50 lbs for portaging.
    We used a Grumman 17' aluminum canoe. It is beast of a canoe bit handled rough water and waves well. Hard portaging if one needs to carry it.

Pdubs suggestion is a good one. We had a couple pass us like we were standing still on a windy day in a Kevlar canoe from Wenonah.

Many of them are lower profile and much less affected by wind. I'd rather have had a boat like that and went further and faster during the hours when there was not much wind, and then just chill out in our hammocks when it was too windy for a lower profile boat.

Hammock
    WBRR
    Tarp
    Noah 12 for now
    Insulation
    Lynx 0, Spindrift
    Suspension
    7/64 Whoopies
    Hey Chop,
    Read your entire blog on the Mississippi trip. Really enjoyed it.
    Smart decision to deviate from Baton Rouge and New Orleans to the mouth of the river. I have a good bit of experience from N.O. to the mouth of the river, but in boats capable of fishing in the Gulf, after leaving the river. Many times the worst pucker factors of a several day trip; was entering the rock jetties, and the run up or down river to N.O.
    Ocean going freighters throw huge standing waves that bounce back and forth off of each bank, and create an oscillation that lasts sometimes 15 to 20 minutes after their passing. And if there are more than one, it can get really spooky especially if they are passing each other. My 28' is not enough boat in those situations, and it doesn't even blink when in solid 4-5 footers. Can't imagine what it would be like in a canoe. And I use a canoe regularly.
    Wise choice to run out through Hog. Y'all did well!!!!!
    I know it's not the lightest gear, and it's a lot of stuff, but I use a canoe, so it's a lot like car camping, but without the other cars.

Hammock
    Tarp
    HG
    Insulation
    HG Phoenix
    Suspension
    UL Webbing
    Quote Originally Posted by boatstall View Post
    Hey Chop,
    Read your entire blog on the Mississippi trip. Really enjoyed it.
    Smart decision to deviate from Baton Rouge and New Orleans to the mouth of the river. I have a good bit of experience from N.O. to the mouth of the river, but in boats capable of fishing in the Gulf, after leaving the river. Many times the worst pucker factors of a several day trip; was entering the rock jetties, and the run up or down river to N.O.
    Ocean going freighters throw huge standing waves that bounce back and forth off of each bank, and create an oscillation that lasts sometimes 15 to 20 minutes after their passing. And if there are more than one, it can get really spooky especially if they are passing each other. My 28' is not enough boat in those situations, and it doesn't even blink when in solid 4-5 footers. Can't imagine what it would be like in a canoe. And I use a canoe regularly.
    Wise choice to run out through Hog. Y'all did well!!!!!
    Thanks for checking out the blog. We were fortunate to see an overhead picture of the river traffic around New Orleans and our whole group agreed to take the Atch. It was great to be on a small river again, like the far north

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    Palace
    Insulation
    TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    Spiders/Mantis
    I happened to do a freighter cruise on the Zim Mexico lll, on the last time it successfully sailed out of the Port of NO before it’s next NO run and collision with a supply boat. I also frequently sailed on a Sunfish in my teens 50 years ago on Galveston Bay, we’d cross a busy shipping lane to get to an island. Scary times.

http://www.dco.uscg.mil/Portals/9/DC.../Zimmexico.pdf

Looking forward to reading about your epic trip. You’ve got some guts, got some smarts too, passing up danger.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast