Hammock
    DIY Gathered End---1.6 Hexon D
    Tarp
    HG Journey (11')
    Insulation
    DIY w/ CDTs
    Suspension
    various
    I bought these from Amazon the other day. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1 Used a pocket knife to cut a little hole in a ping pong ball, and jammed the bulb in for a friction fit. The switch is a bit fiddly, but it does lock "on"--an improvement over PPB-Lantern-dot-1, which uses a Nite Ize Squeeze Light I found at Home Depot. (True to its name, the Squeeze Light requires constant pressure to stay lit. I rigged a fix with a bit of elastic shock cord and a coat button from the sewing kit. . . .)

Slept in the hammock lab the other night, and to read easily I had to use both the dot-one and the dot-two lanterns on my ridgeline. Of course, my eyes are well past their warrantee, and my glasses are due to be upgraded.

ETA: I also removed the little biners that came with the lights and replaced them with loops of braided mason's line.
    Last edited by professrh; 09-05-2017 at 07:05.

Quote Originally Posted by professrh View Post
    I bought these from Amazon the other day. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1 Used a pocket knife to cut a little hole in a ping pong ball, and jammed the bulb in for a friction fit. The switch is a bit fiddly, but it does lock "on"--an improvement over PPB-Lantern-dot-1, which uses a Nite Ize Squeeze Light I found at Home Depot. (True to its name, the Squeeze Light requires constant pressure to stay lit. I rigged a fix with a bit of elastic shock cord and a coat button from the sewing kit. . . .)

Slept in the hammock lab the other night, and to read easily I had to use both the dot-one and the dot-two lanterns on my ridgeline. Of course, my eyes are well past their warrantee, and my glasses are due to be upgraded.

ETA: I also removed the little biners that came with the lights and replaced them with loops of braided mason's line.
    I added some thin shock cord and a micro cord lock so I could add some adjustable length to make reading easier. But yeah, my eyes have required some retrofitting as well.

image.jpg

Hammock
    Hammocktent 90*, Sparrow, WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    light & waterproof
    Insulation
    Ongoing experiment
    Suspension
    Ongoing experiment
    Quote Originally Posted by Topplestack View Post
    That's a good thought. I started hiking at night via red headlamp. I hadn't thought of lantern. I have a smaller Luci that has a blinking red light, but not solid.
    After I made this comment I received a promotional email from Luci. As per my modus operandi, I replied to the email with my usual complaint about lacking a solid red mode. Much to my surprise I was contacted by Luci and they said the EMRG light (the smallest and hence my favorite for backpacking, car camping, and travel trailer living) now has a solid red mode. I checked out the website just to be sure. My latest EMRG with red mode is on the way! Next I will start suggesting a built in memory function so I don't have to shut my eyes and count the clicks to red ;-). One other thing, I put a small dab of seal seal on the on/off button to make it tactile and easy to find.

• + New Posts
  • Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345