Dutch Chameleon
    Tarp
    UGQ WinterDream
    Insulation
    Nunatak Arc UL
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings

I need some buying advice for a top quilt

Edited 8-22-2017: Corrected an error, the Loco Libre Ghost Pepper indeed comes with water resistant down
    Edited 8-23-2017: Added Enlightened Equipment Revelation to my shortlist

I am considering switching from traditional sleeping bags to a top quilt, this will be my first top quilt as I've been using traditional sleeping bags for years.

I sleep mainly in hammocks, but also in tent/bivy or just "cowboy style" on a sleeping pad or under a tarp. I am looking at quilt for 3-season use in a northern climate, and possibly winter use with an added layer on top.

I do have a few concerns regarding size:

I'm 6"1 and 242lbs and my shoulder shoulder girth is just above 50 inches. I'm a side sleeper when on the ground and I toss and turn a bit so especially when using the quilt on the ground worry that it still could be a bit narrow. I would like to be able to tuck in the quilt a bit around me on those cold nights, and also to be able to completely cover my head if I choose to do so.

I think I'll go for a 20*F quilt with a draw & cord footbox, that should be the best match for the temperature range I expect to sleep in.

It seems to me that most vendors "wide" version is around 55" wide. That does sound slightly narrow to me, sleeping on the side and tossing and turning at night. But I haven't tried anything but traditional sleeping bags so I might be wrong. But I know I prefer a bit wide over narrow, and that is partially why I want to switch from the "mummy sack" to a top quilt in the first place.

For the lenght it seems to me like most verndors "long" length is around 78", that should be sufficient. But the draw & cord foot box will take away some length when closed, and the loft at the foot end will too, so the usable length inside have to be less than the advertised length. And since I prefer the option to fully cover my head should I choose to do so I wonder if this is long enough.

What do the experienced quilt users think? Will the usual 55" wide and 78" long quilt fit me and my requirements?

When it comes to choice of top quilt I now have five(six) on my shortlist:
    • Underground Quilts - Bandit 20
    • Hammock Gear - Burrow 20, possibly the Econ version
    • Loco Libre gear - Ghost Pepper 20
    • Katabatic Gear - Flex 22

All of them seems to be great quilts from very reputable vendors. But I have to make a qualified choice so here are some pros and cons for each from my perspective:

Underground Quilts - Bandit 20
    Pros:
    • Can be made in 60" and 65" width
    • Can be made longer than 78"
    • I like the baffle design, horisontal in the foot end and vertical in the upper part, I believe that will help preventing down from shifting from side to side
    • Great choice in color options
    • Great price, as long as I don't need the XL version (60" or 65" wide), prise falls to "good" for the XL version
    • Can be ordered overstuffed
    • Can be upgraded to 850 or 950 fill-power goose down

Cons:
    • They only offer full taper or no taper (eg no semi-taper which I think I prefer)
    • The base less expensive model comes with 800 fill-power duck down (can be upgraded to 850 or 950 goose down at a cost)
    • They don't offer water resistant down

Hammock Gear - Burrow 20 Econ
    Pros:
    • Offered as half-taper design which (I think) I prefer
    • Great price, especially for the Econ version
    • Comes with water resistant down

Cons:
    • From what I see it only has horisontal baffles, and I'm slightly worried about down shifting from side to side
    • Comes with 800 fill-power duck down

Hammock Gear - Burrow 20
    Pros:
    • Fair price
    • Comes 850 fill-power goose down
    • Choice of fabric both inside and outside (10d or 15d)

Cons:
    • From what I see it only has horisontal baffles, and I'm slightly worried about down shifting from side to side

Loco Libre Gear - Ghost Pepper 20
    Pros:
    • Although they don't offer a semi-taper design you can choose between 10" or 5" full taper (or no taper)
    • The zig zag baffle design seems less prone to down shifting from side to side
    • The snap button behind the neck seems to be solid and thoroughly fastened to the fabric
    • Their long version is 80" so slightly longer than most others long version
    • Although the base version comes with 800 fill-power duck down the upgrade to 900 fill-power goose down is very reasonable
    • Can be ordered with a draft collar at the neck area
    • Choice of fabric both inside and outside (10d or 15d)

Cons:
    • A bit on the expensive side
    • Base version comes with 800 fill-power duck down

Katabatic Gear - Flex 22
    Pros:
    • Their wide version is 58" so slightly wider than most others wide version
    • The draw & cord foot box has a flap with a button that seems to completely seal the bottom of the foot box
    • The snap button behind the neck seems to be solid and thoroughly fastened to reinforced fabric
    • Their pad attachment system seems to me to be "as good as it gets"
    • Although not semi-tapered it seems to be "moderatly tapered"
    • Comes standard with a down filled collar at the neck area
    • Base version comes 850 fill-power goose down, can be upgraded to 900 fill-power goose down
    • Base version seems to have a bit more down weight and loft than the competitors

Cons:
    • Poor choice in color options
    • A bit on the expensive side

Enlightened Equipment - Revelation 20
    Pros:
    • Really great choice of sizes
    • Base version comes 850 fill-power goose down, can be upgraded to 900 or 950 fill-power goose down
    • Can be ordered with "weather resistant stripes", eg ticker and more water resistant 20D fabric at the top and bottom
    • Seems to have a very good strap system for sleeping on a pad on the ground
    • Large sizes are still reasonable lightweight
    • Comes with U shaped baffles, seems good for preventing down shifting, especially important when sleeping on the side

Cons:
    • Cannot be ordered overstuffed
    • I've read report that this sleeps a bit cold, eg colder than competitors with similar ratings.
    • By comparing specs it seems like it's filled with about 10% less down than similar rated quilts from competitors

This list is not at all meant to be a complete list of pros and cons for each model, they are just some pros and cons that seems important to me from my perspective. As I based this list off "google research" it might contain errors, although I've tried to verify the list from more than one source. And again, these are factors that (I think) will matter to *me* from my perspective, so in case any of the vendors read this please take no offence and feel free to correct any error you might spot.

Any input on size, quality and anything I might have overlooked is very welcome. Right now I'm leaning towards the Katabatic Gear Flex 22, but I'm open to alternatives. So any thoughts and input from anyone with experience with these brands/quilts and top quilts in general would be appreciated.

Although all input is welcomed in order to help me (and possibly others reading this) to make a decision I will especially value advises regarding sizing and features you might like/dislike in a particular model and why. Input in the form of "I have model X and I like it a lot", although appreciated as well, will not really help me in my decision making process.

I don't want my first top quilt to be a failure as that will mean I will remain in my mummy sack, so trying to be a bit thorough here. And price is not really the deciding factor here, meaning (better) alternatives I might have overlooked in any price range are possible options as well.

Thanks in advance for any contribution!
    Last edited by chjohans; 08-23-2017 at 13:27.

Hammock
    Dutch/SLD/WB/DIY
    Tarp
    DWG/HG/SLD/UGQ/DIY
    Insulation
    Loco Libre Gear
    Suspension
    Dutchware
    I own and can recommend strongly Loco Libre Gear top quilts; they are superbly built, highly customizable, and value-laden. I also own a 20F 850FP (+2 OS) UGQ Bandit; I was very satisfied upon receiving it, and I am anxiousy awaiting the cood weather this winter to put it through its paces.
    Smart graphic design for all your needs by BGD

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    DIY
    Insulation
    MAMW TQ, Jarbidge
    I have a MARCY 20 currently available that is 10% off at the moment that would fit you. Head over to Mid-Atlantic Mountain Works and have a look. I integrate shock cord into the side seams that is adjustable and insures the quilt cinches around you to keep out drafts. Advantageous in a hammock...stellar on the ground when used with a pad. Happy to answer any questions you may have as well! Good luck!
    Jared

Mid-Atlantic Mountain Works
    www.mid-atlanticmountainworks.com

Hammock
    LSOH Warrior Edge
    Tarp
    OES MacCat
    Insulation
    UGQ UQ, EE TQ
    Suspension
    Cinch Buckles
    I'm 6'1 218 and love my extra wide / long Enlightened Equipment top quilt. They come with straps to wrap around a sleeping pad if you need to use on the ground.

Hammock
    Dutch Chameleon
    Tarp
    UGQ WinterDream
    Insulation
    Nunatak Arc UL
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Quote Originally Posted by kitsapcowboy View Post
    I own and can recommend strongly Loco Libre Gear top quilts; they are superbly built, highly customizable, and value-laden. I also own a 20F 850FP (+2 OS) UGQ Bandit; I was very satisfied upon receiving it, and I am anxiousy awaiting the cood weather this winter to put it through its paces.
    Thanks, how would you compare the two? I guess they might have different temp ratings and you probably have used the LL more. But maybe you can say something about build quality and features that differentiate the two?

Hammock
    Dutch Chameleon
    Tarp
    UGQ WinterDream
    Insulation
    Nunatak Arc UL
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Quote Originally Posted by bartlax4 View Post
    I have a MARCY 20 currently available that is 10% off at the moment that would fit you. Head over to Mid-Atlantic Mountain Works and have a look. I integrate shock cord into the side seams that is adjustable and insures the quilt cinches around you to keep out drafts. Advantageous in a hammock...stellar on the ground when used with a pad. Happy to answer any questions you may have as well! Good luck!
    Interesting, I will check that out, thanks.

Hammock
    Dutch Chameleon
    Tarp
    UGQ WinterDream
    Insulation
    Nunatak Arc UL
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Quote Originally Posted by bradym77 View Post
    I'm 6'1 218 and love my extra wide / long Enlightened Equipment top quilt. They come with straps to wrap around a sleeping pad if you need to use on the ground.
    I had that shortlisted as well, I too was attracted to the length/width and the light weight. But since they use sewn-through baffles as opposed to boxed or 3D baffles and tend to be a little less filled than other options I discussed them. I read quite a few people complained about their temperature rating and that made me remove them from my shortlist. But I'll take another look, thanks.

Hammock
    HH Expl Dlx, Dutch 11'
    Tarp
    HH Hex, Tadpole
    Insulation
    HH SS, Jarbidge
    Suspension
    various
    Unless you happen to find a vendor with a quilt in stock, most of the cottage vendors will make your quilt only after the order is placed. That said, you can and should work with the vendor to get the quilt that you want. If you need a couple more inches around your shoulders, ask for it!

FWIW, I'm 6'1" and ~250, and I use standard width, long length, top quilts. More than comfy enough for me!
    Thanks,
    Ranc0r

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    I'll offer this up.....
    Shug

Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    Dutch Chameleon
    Tarp
    UGQ WinterDream
    Insulation
    Nunatak Arc UL
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Quote Originally Posted by Ranc0r View Post
    Unless you happen to find a vendor with a quilt in stock, most of the cottage vendors will make your quilt only after the order is placed. That said, you can and should work with the vendor to get the quilt that you want. If you need a couple more inches around your shoulders, ask for it!

FWIW, I'm 6'1" and ~250, and I use standard width, long length, top quilts. More than comfy enough for me!
    Thanks, very interesting read size since you're roughly my size.

Do you sleep on the ground? On your side?

By standard width and long length, I assume you mean 50" width and 78 inch length?

I will definitely work with the cottage vendor I chose to get the right size and fit, and I have already been in contact with a few. But I thought I would seek some input from their user base as well. Your input is appreciated, thanks!

Some will try to accommodate a custom width, some will not or cannot due to restricted width in their fabrics. At least that's what "Google research" have told me.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast