WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    Topless
    Insulation
    HG
    Suspension
    DIY UCR
    Hey Highlander,

In terms of ultralight hammocks, I played around with this idea awhile back and also landed on a hummingbird.

See here:
    https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...d.php?t=121644

However, my purpose was different. I was questing for an ultralight hammock to take with me in addition my WB BB that i use for camping. My ultralight hammock is just small enough and light enough that I don't mind bringing it along to do some casual lounging or take the occasional nap during the day. But, when it comes to sleeping for the night, I always opt for the full setup and break out the WarBonnet.

Sent from my SM-J327V using Tapatalk

Hammock
    Too many to choose just one
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Hex or WP
    Insulation
    UGQ Bandit 30* or
    Suspension
    Depends on my mood
    Robic 1.2 hammock would be my suggestion for the AT. It should last the 100+ nights for sure and is very comfortable. DIY or you can have Dream Hammock or Simply Light Designs make it for you.
    Rweb82 nailed it, though. A hammock setup is not going to be as light as the lightest tent or tarp camping rig. Just more comfortable and (IMO) better for recharging the machine.

Hammock
    11' Dutchware 1.6 hexon
    Tarp
    12' UGQ WD marpat
    Insulation
    3S Yeti & 0+2 HG I
    Suspension
    Buckles
    Dutch's 1.0 Hexon has an amazing strength to weight ratio. All the cottage manufacturers do amazing work but its worth mentioning that Dutch has actually thru hiked the AT sleeping in a hammock the whole way.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hammock
    Dream Hammock Sparrow
    Tarp
    HG CF/doors
    Insulation
    UGQZeppelin/Bandit
    Suspension
    Huggers/Mule Tape
    There are two hammocks I would seriously look at for a thru-hike (I own one of each of these, along with many others). First would be the Dutchware Gear Half-wit in Hexon 1.0. This is a really lightweight setup, at around 9 oz for great comfort and some bug protection. However, if you are at all worried about the bugs, I would go with the Dream Hammock Darien in the RobicXL 1.2. This will give you an integrated bug net, fully enclosing you, for around 14 oz depending on your level of customization, mine is 13.8oz.

Hammock
    Juniper Custom
    Tarp
    HG DCFF w/doors
    Insulation
    etherial0's hg20's
    Suspension
    Tree straps
    I would think that being cooped up in a tiny pod hammock for 3 days in a row would really suck. I also think carrying around a bunch of dead weight or vanity gear would suck also after miles on end. So it really is all about what end of the spectrum you choose to endure on a TH. I would think that being able to adapt, upgrade and reduce your gear load when timing and seasonal changes would benefit your hike. For example during winter months you may not need a bug net, but you may want a top-cover, sock, and lower temp quilts. When it warms up in Spring you may choose to ditch the top-cover, sock, and swap out TQ, and replace it with a bug net, and lighter TQ. Summer you may want to swap to lighter clothes, quilts, and add the bug net then.
    I also would take into consideration if you decided to weather a long storm, the comfort of a compact living space, or a small tarp in the view of cutting weight. To me it is your home away from home and really should be where quality, durability, comfort, and longevity of use is most needed but if you choose to wear a thong or boxer briefs or nothing at all it is really your choice and the same could be said for hammock/ gear selections for your TH.
    “ Do not correct a fool or he will hate you, correct a wise man and he will appreciate you.”
    ~ Bruce Lee

Quote Originally Posted by fallkniven View Post
    I'm probably 180-190lbs, and I've been sleeping in Dutch's Hexon 1.0 just fine. It's softer than the thicker versions. I doesn't seem stretchy or weak. I wouldn't go thicker fabric personally. My 11' Dutch netless with the Knotty mods, ridge line, and stuff sack weighs 8oz. I added the Fronkey net for the buggy time which is 7oz. But when I need the net, I only need my 40* quilts, so I save weight there.
    2nd 205 lbs give or take. the Hexon 1.0 is as light as you can get and its strong to. I have that with dutch kevlar straps and whoopie slings about as light as you can go and not break the bank. Where you will want to spend the money is down quilts they are a huge weight savings and pack better but at a cost.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12