Tarp
    HH Ghillie
    Insulation
    HH Hibernator
    Suspension
    HH Straps
    Images

Ultralight Hammocks

Hey all. I've been looking into ultralight hammocks for my up and coming AT hike, and am I just not looking in the right places or are ultralight hammocks a very small market? Seems like Hummingbirds are what I keep getting reccommended but has anyone had any experiece backpacking with these or other brands I'm just not finding? What do you look for in a hammock setup for long term backpacking aside from counting ozs or is that pretty much it?

Hammock
    DH Raven/Darien
    Tarp
    WB Mountainfly
    Insulation
    Loco Libre/HG/SLD
    Suspension
    Myerstech/Becket
    I see this is your first post, so welcome to the forum!

If you're looking for an ultralight hammock, I would steer clear of any parachute nylon hammock that you'd find on Amazon and such. Most of those are very short, and are kinda heavy and bulky when packed. The Hummingbird Hammock you mentioned is lightweight, but only 8'8" or 9'8" long. I think these would be way too short for comfortable overnight sleeping. Go with a cottage vendor like Dream Hammock, Dutchware, Simply Light Designs, Warbonnet, etc...You'll end up with a much better (more comfortable) hammock, and it will be lighter in weight. Dream Hammock is now offering their hammocks in Robic XL 1.2 fabric- which is extremely strong and very lightweight. Depending on your weight, a hammock with that fabric may be a good option for you.

I think it's important to note that most people find that the lightest hammock setup is not necessarily any lighter than the lightest tent setup. In fact, I would argue that most high-end ultralight tents will be lighter than the lightest hammock- once you've accounted for insulation, tarp, etc...The reason why most of us choose hammocks is the comfort factor. IMO, no tent can match the comfort of a hammock. And I would also argue that you will even stay drier with a hammock/tarp, than a tent on the ground.

When looking for a hammock, most folks find that the longer the hammock is, the more comfortable it is. I, personally, would not consider any hammock less than 11' long- especially if you are around 6' tall. But even many shorter folks prefer the 11' hammocks. You also need to consider insulation options when building your hammock system. Most people prefer using an underquilt and top quilt. Depending on the size and temp rating, the weight of those will vary. You can also use a sleeping pad in the hammock for bottom insulation; however, I find those very finicky and difficult to keep in place throughout the night. If you're sleeping long term in the hammock, you may prefer the comfort and ease of use the underquilt offers- even though it may be slightly heavier than some pads. Loco Libre has their Operator series underquilts and top quilts- which are very lightweight, and designed for thru-hikers.

The best recommendation I can make is to keep researching these forums, and educate yourself on everything that's out there. There is no right or wrong way to do this hammock thing. You may have to do a little trial and error, but eventually you will find what works for you. I've posted links below to some (not all) of the best cottage vendors around. I'm sure others will chime in with additional recommendations.

Last, but not least, don't get so caught up with all of the details that you lose the joy of acquiring new gear! The acquisition of new gear is one of the most fun parts!

Dream Hammock- http://www.dreamhammock.com/
    Dutchware Gear- https://dutchwaregear.com/?SID=rg0qn...8gqeg7sn9sm265
    Simply Light Designs- http://www.simplylightdesigns.com/
    Warbonnet- https://www.warbonnetoutdoors.com/
    Loco Libre Gear- http://www.locolibregear.com/
    Hammock Gear- http://www.hammockgear.com/
    Last edited by rweb82; 08-21-2017 at 14:54.

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    I played around with ultralight hammocks, and after several failures, decided that the hammock was not a good place to cut weight. I don't want to sleep on the ground! I stay away from 1.0, 1.1, and 1.2 oz. fabric because it just doesn't inspire confidence. Randy at Dream Hammock won't even make a single-layer hammock in 1.0 or 1.1 ounce fabrics. I did buy some 1.0 Robic XL fabric about a year ago but I seriously doubt I'll ever make a hammock with it.

I've been using a 1.4 oz. PolyD hammock from Dutch for several years (I also have a spare), but Dutch discontinued that fabric due to failure. Once my PolyD hammocks fail, I'll probably switch to Argon or Hexon 1.6, or HyperD 1.6.
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Hammock
    Ridge Runner
    Tarp
    DCF Winter
    Insulation
    DIY down UQ @ TQ
    Suspension
    Whoope
    Images
    I have used the Hennessy HYPERLITE (NOT Ultra Lite HIker) for a long time. Not quite as comfortable as my Hennessy Expedition, but hey, ounces matter! The Hennessy system works great. The gray open cell under insulation with a 'metalic' liner, like a space blanket and the super shelter under cover is good to well below freezing, and wind proof. The weight and pack bulk are minimal compared to anything else. ( IMO)
    Since I retired, some times I stay awake all day, some times all night.

Hammock
    Hammocktent 90*, Sparrow, WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    light & waterproof
    Insulation
    Ongoing experiment
    Suspension
    Ongoing experiment
    I will put in my .02 for the hammocktent 90 degree. Weighs less than a pound, integral bugnet, pad or DIY down UQ (or both for winter), narrow ridge line design allows hanging in a variety of places, and it is hands down the most comfortable hammock I've used especially if you are a side sleeper. Since it is light weight it does have some weight and height limitations.

Hammock
    Dutchware 11' netless
    Tarp
    SLD Trail Haven
    Suspension
    Myerstech dyneema
    I think UL hammock fabrics are fine as long as you're within the weight limit. if you're 150lb you can go with a 1.0 for instance. Much heavier and you should move up in fabric weight.

Dutchware makes a 1.0 weight 11' hammock that clocks in around 7 ounces. Plenty of cottage manufacturers make them in slightly heavier fabric (10-15oz). Stay away from hammocks shorter than 11ft like Hummingbird and Sea to Summit; it's less comfortable for most people.

Hammock
    AMOK Draumr 3.0
    Food For Thought: remember that you spend a major part of your 24 hours recharging in your hammock when you are out on the trails.
    Maybe ul is less important in that big picture than comfort.
    Cut your grams elsewhere would be my advice.
    >> Onward thru the fog...>>
    Find me on my blog Moosenut Falls https://moosenutfalls.wordpress.com/

Hammock
    Warbonnet RR / BlackbirdXLC
    Tarp
    SimplyLightDesigns
    Insulation
    Lynx / LocoLibre
    Suspension
    webbing/buckles
    Images
    Check out Reddmage who just summited on Aug, 12th. He had and ENO with and ENO tarp and loved it. Again, your weight will automatically be adjusted as you through hike and the very last thing you want to worry about is the failure of your sleep gear.

Grand trunk ultralite
    20 bucks

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by SilvrSurfr View Post
    I played around with ultralight hammocks, and after several failures, decided that the hammock was not a good place to cut weight. I don't want to sleep on the ground! I stay away from 1.0, 1.1, and 1.2 oz. fabric because it just doesn't inspire confidence. Randy at Dream Hammock won't even make a single-layer hammock in 1.0 or 1.1 ounce fabrics. I did buy some 1.0 Robic XL fabric about a year ago but I seriously doubt I'll ever make a hammock with it.

I've been using a 1.4 oz. PolyD hammock from Dutch for several years (I also have a spare), but Dutch discontinued that fabric due to failure. Once my PolyD hammocks fail, I'll probably switch to Argon or Hexon 1.6, or HyperD 1.6.
    I'm probably 180-190lbs, and I've been sleeping in Dutch's Hexon 1.0 just fine. It's softer than the thicker versions. I doesn't seem stretchy or weak. I wouldn't go thicker fabric personally. My 11' Dutch netless with the Knotty mods, ridge line, and stuff sack weighs 8oz. I added the Fronkey net for the buggy time which is 7oz. But when I need the net, I only need my 40* quilts, so I save weight there.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Pine Barrens Leather

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast