Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Upgrading from chillax hammock - please help decide

I have a chillax hammock and would like to upgrade. I had a good time when I used it overnight for camping, but I did lose a few ounces of flesh to the bugs.

I have spent gobs of time reading the forums and finally posting to ask some questions. I am 5'11 and 180lbs. I do not want to go the DIY route (lack of time) but I want to see which of the following would you recommend:

1. The chameleon with 1.6 hexon and the bugnet (comes out to $199). I like this because it comes with the ridgeline and the buckle suspension.
    2. The 11 ft. Netless Hammock from DutchWare Gear, 1 layer with cinch buckle and whoopie sling ridgeline for $87 and bottom entry bugnet for $57 (total $144).

Which of these two would you all prefer? I am leaning towards the 11ft netless because it is $56 cheaper. Why would you get a chameleon?

I have REI Co-op Camp Bed 2.5 Self-Inflating Sleeping Pad which I plan on using, so does it make sense to get a two layer hammock for the 11ft? Also, does the fronkey create gaps if I am not laying in it?
    Last edited by ztillma; 08-20-2017 at 22:20.

I can chime in with my perspective to a few of your questions. First, a quick disclaimer: I basically have your second option. I haven't tried the chameleon, but I have tried a Warbonnet Blackbird and I'm just not a fan of an integrated bugnet. I just like to be able to reach out and pet the dog, adjust an under quilt, etc. I also like to rest my head on the edge of the hammock body, which is tough with the bugnet attached, or uncomfortable if it is detached since the zipper is still there.
    Why choose the chameleon? I haven't bought it but have toyed with the idea because 1) it's light 2) the storage options are amazing.
    Lastly, I personally like being able to switch directions in the hammock, so I prefer not to have a double layer and just sleep on top of the pad, if I use it (generally use a UQ). I have had a hammock with a pad sleeve tear along the seam, which made me a little iffy about that (although it was not from a common forum vendor).
    There will be a gap at the bottom of the Fronkey net when you are not inside, but I have never had a problem. I also spray it with permethrin.
    Hope that helps!

Hammock
    WBBB SL 1.7
    Tarp
    WB Mamajamba
    Insulation
    WB 0° Wooki +3oz
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Images
    Outdoors, I prefer integrated hammocks because I have never been able to keep a bug sock off the ground and keep it from picking up dirt. At home I prefer a bottom entry bug sock because it works with different hammocks and you don't need to stake it out.

The Chameleon is quite a bit of an investment, but it's also very popular. If you find that you don't like the design or the fabric you picked, it should be easy to sell without a big loss. And if you just don't like the fabric, you could only sell the body, keep the net and buy another body.

On the other hand, you can never have too many hammocks, and a simple no-net hammock is always good to have. To find out which fabric gives you the best comfort, you could buy two or three different hammocks, try them for a couple of nights, and sell the least comfortable ones. When you know what you like, you could still buy a Chameleon.

Hammock
    Dutch/SLD/WB/DIY
    Tarp
    DWG/HG/SLD/UGQ/DIY
    Insulation
    Loco Libre Gear
    Suspension
    Dutchware
    Smart graphic design for all your needs by BGD

Hammock
    Blackbird 1.7 double
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    UGQs ZEPPELIN
    Suspension
    Dutch Clips
    Images
    WIth the BlackBird you can unzip the bug net and toss it over to one side so you can pet your dog.

With the BlackBirdXLC you can remove the whole bug net.

I live in a buggy area so a bug net is needed and I like integrated bug nets as they keep me from kicking my topquilt out of the hammock during the night.
    Last edited by gunner76; 08-22-2017 at 20:41.
    I am still 18 but with 52 years of experience !

Hammock
    LSOH Warrior Edge
    Tarp
    OES MacCat
    Insulation
    UGQ UQ, EE TQ
    Suspension
    Cinch Buckles
    While I like going without a bugnet having an integrated one just makes things a lot easier overall. I also really like the storage options and modularity of the Chameleon. I would go with it given your choices.

Appreciate the reply everyone!

I think @ccolclou said that he prefers the fronkey because he can pet the dog, and @gunner76 prefers the integrated net so he can pet the dog

I feel like the chameleon is the shiny new toy and I feel attracted to it though logically the 11ft netless seems to be the rational choice! Sigh.

Hammock
    DIY 11' Hexon 1.6 wide
    Tarp
    DIY 12' Hex
    Insulation
    DIY Costco TQ, UQ
    Suspension
    DIY hugs, whoopies
    The wife and I use 11' netless hammocks, and Fronkey bug nets, all DIY by me.

The Fronkey net will hang low, but you can just cinch up the drawstring pretty snug on the bottom, then pull it slightly off center over the ridgeline. This seals it against your hammock body, even when you are not in it. I've left ours out like that for 2 days and nothing gets in them.

There is NO WAY my slightly claustrophobic wife would ever sleep zipped in a hammock. A snug fitting mummy sleeping bag freaks her out enough!

What do you guys think about using the REI Co-op Camp Bed 2.5 Self-Inflating Sleeping Pad in either of the hammocks? Do you anticipate any problems?

Hammock
    Warbonnet RR / BlackbirdXLC
    Tarp
    SimplyLightDesigns
    Insulation
    Lynx / LocoLibre
    Suspension
    webbing/buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by ztillma View Post
    Appreciate the reply everyone!

I think @ccolclou said that he prefers the fronkey because he can pet the dog, and @gunner76 prefers the integrated net so he can pet the dog

I feel like the chameleon is the shiny new toy and I feel attracted to it though logically the 11ft netless seems to be the rational choice! Sigh.
    Buy once, cry once are good words to live by in the hammock world. You get what you pay for here.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast