Images

Hand sewn first hammock buld

I just finished my first hammock, using the pattern from a RipStopByTheRoll video. I used 1.9 oz ripstop (it's cheaper than the lighter fabrics). Everything is hand sewn b/c I have no machine. It actually was much easier to make than the tarp project that I did. I'm experimenting with making it a modified bridge hammock layout to create more diagonal space for lying in it. I'm only 5' 8" and about 155 lbs. I'll replace the quick link with an aluminum carabiner and the paracord with a stronger rope. I also made my own tree straps with 1" polyester webbing.

The next thing to do is the Fronkey style bug net. Question: how is my hang angle? I want to get that right before making the bug net. Any advice would be appreciated.

Hammock
    DIY 1.7 Robic XL
    Tarp
    DIY 1.9 PU nylon
    Insulation
    DIY APEX 5.0 TQ/BQ
    Suspension
    Becket or Whoopie
    Images
    Now that's hardcore ... you have just proven that the lack of a thread injector is no excuse for not doing DIY projects. Well done.

Hang angle looks OK to me, but pictures can sometimes be deceiving. 30° angle is mathematically the easy on the gear, but I actually find that slightly tighter is more comfortable to me.

One thing that I suggest you try is leaving out the spreader bar and trying it with a simple gathered end. I initially started out with a spreader bar and I will never go back. No need to change any sewing and you can go back if you don't like it, but I think that you will find that with a gathered end, getting a diagonal lay will be easier, less tippy, lighter, and more comfortable. If you like the gathered end, getting a ridgeline to add consistency would be the next step.

Welcome to the fray, and as always ... do what suits you best.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by CorwinC View Post
    Now that's hardcore ... you have just proven that the lack of a thread injector is no excuse for not doing DIY projects. Well done.

Hang angle looks OK to me, but pictures can sometimes be deceiving. 30° angle is mathematically the easy on the gear, but I actually find that slightly tighter is more comfortable to me.

One thing that I suggest you try is leaving out the spreader bar and trying it with a simple gathered end. I initially started out with a spreader bar and I will never go back. No need to change any sewing and you can go back if you don't like it, but I think that you will find that with a gathered end, getting a diagonal lay will be easier, less tippy, lighter, and more comfortable. If you like the gathered end, getting a ridgeline to add consistency would be the next step.

Welcome to the fray, and as always ... do what suits you best.
    Thanks for the comments. I'll be getting some carabiners soon and yes I realize that I can do a gathered end type setup using them. The first hang I did was feeding the ends onto those quick links, which was difficult but it did work. Instead of tying off the ends I plan to just feed the end loop onto a carabiner and hang it that way. The spreader bar does result in some tight fabric in the center and floppier sides but I wanted to give it a try. Onto to the bug net next!

I would encourage anyone without a sewing machine to try a hand sewn job. The layout is very easy actually. I measured and drew lines with a pen and used jumbo paper clips to hold the folded fabric in place while I sewed it. As you slide the paper clips along, it actually creases the fabric a bit too, which is a plus. I used a sturdy nylon thread which was labeled upholstery thread. You must hold the thread in one hand as you feed it through the fabric or it will selfknot and cause a nasty little mess (don't ask how I know - lol).

Hammock
    Ol' ugly
    Tarp
    Hanger12/ DIYasym
    Insulation
    Bandit/Pheonix
    Suspension
    Whoopie sling
    Looks great, kuddos on the hand sewing, more patience then I have.
    Where the trail ends the adventure begins!

nhcaesar,

Really, really nice work.

Hammock
    DIY 11 footer
    Tarp
    DIY 12 footer
    Insulation
    Climashield
    Suspension
    Mule tape
    Images
    Great job, nhcaeser! Interesting spreader bar setup. I have some 1" aircraft grade aluminum poles that I use to make walking staffs from - time to check out these "bridges" I've been reading about. Love that color!

Jack

I'm thinking of hand sewing my hems too. How is your stitching holding up? I think you used a running stitch didn't you? I'm thinking about using a backstitch. That would take longer, but it would be stronger too.

Hammock
    WB XLC
    Tarp
    DIY Xen Sil winter
    Insulation
    WB Wooki
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    HAND SEWN?! Hardcore indeed.

I feel so spoiled using my fancy Costco purchased "fabric persuader" - aka what grizz calls his sewing machine

Persuading that fabric by hand...wow....with a machine, no telling what you may build....I say we start a go fund me site for this dedicated user! Seriously, Ill kick in 10 bucks just for me being impressed here! No joke!
    “The nitrogen in our DNA, the calcium in our teeth, the iron in our blood, the carbon in our apple pies were made in the interiors of collapsing stars. We are made of starstuff.”

Did you hand sew your tarp as well?

• + New Posts