Trying this cheap option out. Slight Diy.

Well after lots of reading on the forums and learning I think I have everything I need to try things out finally for hammock camping!

I have the Warbonnet blackbird xlc, check. Kelty noah 12 tarp. Check. Some rope and stakes as extras check. Got a self inflating pad for under insulation as a start check. Last thing...do I spend a lot on a top quilt? I went back and forth on this for a few months. Then the other night while in a walmart I saw this https://www.walmart.com/ip/Ozark-Tra...y-Bag/49937668. Hmmm I thought $30 dollars. Why not try it. I got it home looked it over. Realized it already had a foot box on it built in, All i need to do was lose the zipper. A few minutes with some scissors and bingo i have a cheap top quilt to try. Yes it kinda large and it is heavy 4lbs plus, but I dont intend to do much backpacking. So i figured this might be worth a starting point. Laugh if you like guys and gals, but sure seems like a cheap option to start with figured it might help some others starting out.

Happy Hanging

hammcok setup.jpg

Did it keep you warm? If so it worked. This is not a contest to spend to most money, but instead a way to enjoy camping. I ordered an UQ after using a sleeping bag for a while. It may be easier. I'll still keep the zipper for those time when my wife goes or I need to go to ground, but it will make a decent TQ for now.

Bob

Bob,

That is why I shared this option. I have nothing against expensive quilts. Heck they look awesome! But to the new guy who doesn't know if he will like this or not. I like the idea of some cost effective options that gets you out there. Figured someone might benefit from it out there. Lot of great information on this site just hope to add to it!

Ross

Hammock
    HG,Dutch,XLC ,RR
    Tarp
    Superfly, AH hex,
    Insulation
    HG, Snugpak, SLD
    Suspension
    Whoopie Ti toggle
    Images
    You won't hear me laughing. I bought that very bag when I got my first hammock, the Walmart special, "Equip" , a little over a year ago now. I started out with that hammock, that bag for a TQ and at first since it was spring and not cold, a body pillow under me in the hammock instead of a pad or UQ lol .It only took a few nights and I was hooked. I moved from that cheapie set up to a Henessy Expedition, Snugpak quilts and tarp by August, and then added a JRB winter nest in September, an XLC in October and a °0 set from HG and WL old man winter tarp in November lol. And after all that, I still like my budget Snugpak quilts, the $55 OneTigris 10° winter UQ i got this past february and LOVE my overstuffed CDT set. Buy the gear that works for your budget and need and you'll be happy I think. Cottage gear hands down is far superior in many ways, but if that Ozark Trail mummy bag, a OneTigris $55 10° winter UQ your Kelty tarp and XLC are all you need to get through and stay comfortable and warm, than you've made the right choices I think. Budget gear can be great in many ways too! And there's nothing wrong with that! HYOH right? Welcome to the club.
    " The best pace is a suicide pace, and today looks like a good day to die." ~ Steve Prefontaine

• + New Posts