Dutchware gear
    Tarp
    WB Thunderfly
    Insulation
    UQ
    Suspension
    Jbend

backpacking hammock suspension options

I am slowly, but surely, getting my hang down each time I go backpacking with my hammock. I have in the wishlist section at dutchware what I believe would be my perfect suspension system, but then my son grows,(again!?) and needs new shoes, or the car breaks down, or we take a pet to the vet, and the suspension sits there in my dreams. Right now, I have these bright yellow tree straps with loops built in, that I connect to with carabiners attached to my continuous loop ends of my hammock. The straps are heavy, bulky, and don't allow for adjustment when the perfect hang is inbetween loop choices, but they are what I have, and were a gift, so I am grateful to use them because without them I'd be sleeping on the ground.
    My question is, I would love something lightweight, simple, and that packs up small. My primary use is for backpacking. I am small and lightweight, too. I am comfortable with my knot making skills. I think the new beatle straps, whoopie slings would be good, but money wise think I need to go DIY and/or oldschool, hang options. I value your experienced advice, what options are out there that I should think about?

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    A couple of tree huggers ($10)...https://dutchwaregear.com/polyester-tree-hug.html
    and some whoopies...($16)..and your good to go. http://shop.whoopieslings.com/Whoopi...s-Pair-AWS.htm

Under $30.

Or just go tree hugger and some strong line with the proper weight rating for a hammock and tie the Hennessy Knots...https://hennessyhammock.com/pages/set-up-instructions

Carry forth.
    Shug
    Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 SL
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Tarp/Door
    Insulation
    Winter Wooki
    Suspension
    KevlarBecketHitch
    I have tried EVERYTHING. The lightest and simplest solution for me is:

1) A pair of 15 ft Kevlar tree straps ($30)
    https://dutchwaregear.com/kevlar-tree-straps.html

2) Tie tree straps to hammock (with continuous loop) using Becket hitch
    https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...k-Becket-Hitch
    Last edited by vuanguyen; 08-19-2017 at 18:28.

Hammock
    Ol' ugly
    Tarp
    Hanger12/ DIYasym
    Insulation
    Bandit/Pheonix
    Suspension
    Whoopie sling
    Dutch has a sale on 7/64 amsteal for $5 and change for 25', a pair of 10' tree straps $9 (could be less if you don't need the full 10'), a pair of Dutch toggles $6, the joy of hanging to relax from life's problems the few moments we can $priceless$. Should be under $30 with shipping.

Splicing amsteel is a walk in the park, crazy amounts of videos out there and it's super simple. You'll have a set of whoopie slings in under an hour, with just a few household items. No fancy tools required. DIY is an awesome way to eat some of the cost sometimes. And you get to learn new skills.
    Where the trail ends the adventure begins!

Hammock
    WildernessLogics 12x6
    Tarp
    HG cuben 13ridge12
    Insulation
    TopQuiltUnderQuilt
    Suspension
    S and D
    Have you considered a pair of 15 foot Dutch's blue dyneema straps with black racing stripes--light weight, strong, pack down real small.
    Does not work well with hardware--
    Great for knots--slipped becket hitch onto a continuous loop larksheaded onto hammock.
    Have fun dialing your suspension to your specifications.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Senior Member Theguywitheyebrows's Avatar
    Hammock
    DUTCHWARE HEXON 1.0
    Tarp
    GoldenEagle Tarp
    Insulation
    New River/DIY TQ
    Suspension
    J-bend on straps
    Images
    One hunk 25' camp strap from dutch with eyes sewn on both ends, cut in the middle, larks head around tree, J-bend to hammock continuous loops. Two straps, one knot you cant loose that WILL NOT FAIL. That beckett hitch has dropped me before, the J-bend physically cannot.
    J-Bend HERE -> http://youtu.be/Rk-P-MVnMPk
    J. Garcia
    Quote Originally Posted by Shug Emery
    "The only thing perfect in this hammock world is the sleep" @ 6:52 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7HHncxp_SvA

Hammock
    WildernessLogics 12x6
    Tarp
    HG cuben 13ridge12
    Insulation
    TopQuiltUnderQuilt
    Suspension
    S and D

backpacking hammock suspension options

Yes, Theguywitheyebrows, Eye was forgetting the J-bend and the knot Eye use on Carolina Red (a slip knot) and Eye recently modified Becket Hitch so that it can't jam and can't let you down. Those are two advantages of J-bend--it will not jam and it will not drop you on terra firma.
    The slip knot in Carolina Red does not slip! Sometimes that slip knot can be tough to undo after hanging all night. Switching from kevlar to even lighter Dutch's blue dyneema with black racing stripes will (Eye hope) solve jamming problem.
    My goal is to have a knot that is easy to tie, easy to adjust, will not slip or fail, and will knot jam.
    It's a fun journey...with great ideas.
    Last edited by Phantom Grappler; 08-20-2017 at 06:36.

Senior Member Theguywitheyebrows's Avatar
    Hammock
    DUTCHWARE HEXON 1.0
    Tarp
    GoldenEagle Tarp
    Insulation
    New River/DIY TQ
    Suspension
    J-bend on straps
    Images
    Also, if properly disassembled (as demonstrated in the video) the J-Bend will not bind tight.even with three grown men in thr hammock. The doubles they sale at walmart are huge and hefty.
    J-Bend HERE -> http://youtu.be/Rk-P-MVnMPk
    J. Garcia
    Quote Originally Posted by Shug Emery
    "The only thing perfect in this hammock world is the sleep" @ 6:52 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7HHncxp_SvA

Hammock
    Hybrid 1.7 GE, Happy Medium Bridge
    Tarp
    DIY Xenon Winter
    Insulation
    Loco Libre Gear
    Suspension
    All of them! Ugh.
    Images
    I'd also suggest either kevlar or dyneema webbing to jbend or double becket (or what ever the modified version is called). This would be the simplest and perhaps lightest. Plain poly webbing would reduce the cost.

There was a thread recently (within a month?) about the double becket, I don't recall what the concensus was on using amsteel to amsteel, but if that works ok than this would be light, compact and not overly expensive. Maybe it works with dynaglide as well? With either, you'd still need a 4 or 5 foot hugger for around the tree.

EDIT > Here's the round-turn-becket hitch post.

Hammock
    WildernessLogics 12x6
    Tarp
    HG cuben 13ridge12
    Insulation
    TopQuiltUnderQuilt
    Suspension
    S and D
    Carolina Becket is different from Double Becket.
    Use a continuous loop at end of hammock
    At free end or tree end of continuous loop form a larks head and insert strap through larks head---this part stays together and while it can be easily taken apart--I leave it stuck together.
    Complete Becket Hitch--at this point all you are tying is a slipped half hitch.
    Now add a slip knot onto bunny rabbit ear closest to nonmoving side of bunny rabbit ear--about an inch away.
    Hang on this suspension, knowing it can't drop you on dirt and if it does not slip--it will be easy to untie in morning by pulling ripcord--just like Becket Hitch.
    If it does slip--it can only slip one inch and the "slip knot" will hold--it can't get through larks head and is highly unlikely to get through Becket Hitch.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast