Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    I agree with much of what was said. I say look around. In my backyard, there is one big oak tree that was hit about 20 years ago so other than that tree is pretty good odds. On the other hand, I had heard about afternoon thunderstorms in the Rockies and the danger of lightning strikes along ridges - when hiking there I saw more than one tree totally splintered by lightning I.e. Where there were a few trees up high rather than a lot of trees lower down.

Hammock
    Dutch ware 11' Netless
    Tarp
    HG 11’ Quest
    Insulation
    WM Slinglite
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Original poster here, and Wow! Thanks for all the info and opinions on hammock camping in lightning storms. I also located a number of similar threads and if I may, I'd like to summarize what I think was the most important stuff. Please feel free to amend this, add to it, or dispute it if I go too far astray.

First, the strength of a bolt of lightning is almost of unimaginable power, so even a nearby strike can hurt you. Badly...like dead. Respect it. Even more dangerous than bears according to a few veterans! I too have seen a magnificent oak of 6' diameter reduced to splinters and kindling. The projectiles from this virtual explosion would have been catastrophic to anyone who strapped their hammock to it, or anyone within 30'.

Next, lightning is unpredictable, so there are no guarantees. Read the accounts, and its obvious that lightning has a way of baffling us in its paths (Most say it follows the path of least resistance, but there are feeders from the ground around a strike area. People were many times struck through the ground they were standing on many feet from a tree that was struck. Who knew?). There are some amazing stories about the paths of lightning that damaged houses, livestock, homes, and other buildings. Lightning rods were mentioned several times in regards to protecting a house. Some lightning path stories reminded me of the "Magic Loogie" episode on Seinfeld.

The odds of being struck are really remote. Saw several bloggers state a person has better odds of winning the lottery. BUT, then there were all these shared stories I read of people being struck by lightning. I too have had close calls and met people who were hit, so maybe my perspective of the unlikeliness of being struck may be skewed.

Also, there was was a lot of debate of whether the hammock was safer than ground dwellers on a pad. The consensus (and by no means unanimous) was that a hammock (properly sited) was slightly safer than a tent. Thoughts?

My straps and whoopies might reduce my risk if they're dry, so water breaks can help, but just a little. If lightning wants to go down the strap, it will. Vigorously.

I thought there were very few first-hand accounts from people who were struck by lightning while in their hammocks. I saw a news release about a kayaker/camper found dead in his hammock after a storm, and one other poster who said he was shocked while in his hammock during a storm. Maybe one other? Only two or three examples? Among all the participants of Hammock Forum? Maybe that's the most encouraging news of all. If the HF collective body hasn't heard of this happening very often, maybe there isn't a very large risk?

Best strategies to alleviate some of the risk: 1) Don't use the biggest trees for hanging. Big/tall trees are riskier and seem to attract lightning more often than small trees (but not always). 2) Stay away from exposures like ridge lines and high points. 3) Hanging from smaller trees especially in a grove or copse of trees spreads the risk significantly.

Many shared Shug's view that lightning is a danger inherent with hammock camping, but is a risk that shouldn't deter us from enjoying the outdoors. Try to be proactive about your safety, but the reason we're out here camping in the wilderness is to experience it first-hand. Be one with the storm! Live through it. True that. I vividly feel alive when in the middle of a serious electrical storm. Is there danger in the woods? Of course there is, along with beauty in many forms, inspiration in nature's grandeur, silence/solitude in an increasingly compressed and connected digital world, and a chance to connect with whatever higher power you believe in. Also, disconnecting from Twitter for awhile has never harmed me.

Finally, if it's your time to go, being lightning struck might be (as one poster wrote) the "second best way to go." I think I agree...if I'm guessing correctly about the number one way to go!

Next week, the wife and I are headed on a three night backpacking trip to the Yosemite backcountry about 7 miles north of Tuolumne Meadows in the Sierras. Significant elevations 7000-9000'+, lotsa exposed granite, and forecasts include possible afternoon lightning storms. Found good tree coverage through Google Earth at our 9000' campsite, which isn't always easy to find. At least I'll have a better idea of what my risks are!

Many thanks for for all the "institutional knowledge" I've found about hammock camping in this site. Very welcoming and knowledgeable group.

Cjk
    Last edited by Cjkittrell; 08-19-2017 at 01:14.

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Sometimes hunkering down is all you can do out there. That is the nature of backpacking.
    Of course it is amazing to watch a storm but use caution.
    If you feel tingling then take heed.
    http://www.wildbackpacker.com/wilder...ghtning-storm/

Shug....lightning looker.
    Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    Chameleon
    Tarp
    Minifly/Pappy Plce
    Insulation
    Down/Apex
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images
    From what I've read, you are only slightly more vulnerable hanging in a hammock when one of your trees takes a hit than you would be laying in a tent near that tree. Avoid vulnerable places as described above then try to not worry about it. I put my ear plugs in and try to enjoy the show.

Hammock
    HG 10’ w/net
    Tarp
    Anything with door
    Insulation
    HQ 20*/40* UQ-TQ
    Suspension
    Tree straps to con
    I love storms too. I find that when I'm in the hammock, i only last a few minutes before i pass out, and since i keep waking up in the morning, it must work. I've heard it said that it only hurts if you live. Life is to short to spend time worrying.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

The chances of you getting hit by lightning in the forest are very slim. If you are at the highest elevation point in a storm the get your butt down from there. In the forest there are a few rules of thumb to keep you safe: 1) never hang from a lone set of trees, 2) don't hang from the highest set of trees, 3) look for dead branches and dead or sick trees (known as widowmakers). If you follow those basic rules you will be fine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Hammock
    Dutch ware 11' Netless
    Tarp
    HG 11’ Quest
    Insulation
    WM Slinglite
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Original poster here.

Well, last week was great in the high Sierra Yosemite backcountry. Just on cue, the lightning was flying on the horizon north of us just as our group was hiking through the 9500' pass into Ten Lakes. We were highly exposed on the pass and 1 1/2 mile steep, winding ridge trail 700' down to our intended camping spot, we hustled down as thunder rumbled and a spattering of rain began forcing us to get rain gear on.

We were able to set up camp with a foreboding sky, but fortunately, the rain held off and we had no issues. Campout was successful, but we found out on hiking out 3 days later that north of us near Lake Tahoe, an Austrian hiker was struck during that very storm we were threatened by.

Here's a link to the story:

http://www.denverpost.com/2017/08/25...-by-lightning/

I'm amazed that he survived a lightning strike, and his injuries weren't any worse.

Picture below is the Ten Lakes Pass on our way out on Friday.

Cjk
    Attached Images Attached Images

Keep your feet together

Quote Originally Posted by akaCat View Post
    Early-mid 80s, I was in a shopping mall in FL waiting for a storm to die down so I could run out to my car. Lightning struck a lightpost in the parking lot less than 100 feet away. It looked like the strike was at least 5' diameter, I'm guessing it was actually just too bright to focus on properly, but who knows?

Two folks who'd made a run for it were probably about 50' away from the strike -- one dude literally jumped into the other's arms, and a couple of the other people waiting near the door ran out to lead them back inside. The guys were both scared witless of course, and seemed a bit deafened. I assume an ambulance was called, but I retreated back into the mall for a while to get out of the way.

The lightpost looked pretty much intact, but I never got a closer look at it. When I finally left the mall, the post and a couple of the nearest cars were surrounded by barricades. I'm sure at the least the bulb blew and scattered glass around.

Lightning is supposed to take the path of least resistance -- that's why it'll jump to a nearby tree instead of continuing through the air. So which is a better conductor, a live tree or a hammock suspension? And even if it chooses the tree, how much of a jolt could you get just from being in contact with the tree through the straps?

I'd guess that it's safer to at least get out of the hammock and crouch below the tarp while not making contact with the tarp or hammock. But that's strictly a guess.
    I watched a video on YouTube by NOLS mythbusters about lightening and being on the ground. Apparently, the current varies in different locations and you're better off if your feet are together than if you're striding/standing with them apart because the likelihood of having two different currents is greater.

They didn't address being in a hammock. For tent campers, they suggest crouching or kneeling on the sleeping pad to give yourself added insulation from the ground. I think I'd stay in the hammock as long as I'd looked for likely widowmakers above and I'm in a forested area and not on the tallest trees. After watching their explanation that most lightening deaths are from current conducted through the ground, I like my chances in the hammock better. Although, if current travels back up trees . . . Still trying to learn.

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123