WBBB
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Whoopie Tree Strap

Porkies Trip Advice

I know this is a "well discussed" subject but the knowledge here is so helpful! I am planning a solo trip into the Porcupine Mountains at the end of September (thinking September 21-26). I am still working on my route, but I am 99% sure I will be parking at M107 (Lake of the Clouds), taking the Big Carp River Trail all the way to Lake Superior/river mouth, then grabbing the Lake Superior trail to the Little Carp River Trail, staying on the Little Carp River Trail all the way to Mirror Lake, and then taking the Mirror Lake Trail back to M107.

General Questions:
    Will I be at the tail end of tourist season (hoping there will not be a TON of people!)?
    I believe I have read multiple times that there are plenty of places to hang - is this correct?
    What can I expect for weather in that area that time of year?

More Specific Questions:
    Are there any comments/concerns about my planned route?
    I calculate the mileage to be about 26 - does this sound about right?
    Can anybody shed some light on the water situation - any portions of the route "dry"?
    I assume the "bug season" will be over by then, correct (hoping to not bring a head net)?

Any thoughts, comments, etc are welcomed and appreciated!!
    Thanks

Hammock
    Mood Dependent
    Tarp
    Weather Dependent
    Insulation
    Just Dependent
    Suspension
    Beckett Up Pardner
    Images
    General Questions:
    Will I be at the tail end of tourist season (hoping there will not be a TON of people!)?

You'll be better than the summer hordes with school being back in session, the crowds will have thinned. Lake Superior Trail campsites could still be at a premium but the interior trails SHOULD be a lot less traffic. You will still get the color seekers though.

I believe I have read multiple times that there are plenty of places to hang - is this correct?

Yes, with exceptions, it's a hangers paradise.

Moderate to Chilly at night. At that time of the year I would have a fleece for breaks or cooler days and my puffy for night.

More Specific Questions:

One of my favorite routes. I love starting on the Big Carp at Lake of the clouds because it's basically (mostly) downhill all the way to the lake for about 12 miles. Little Carp is my favorite over all trail in the Porkies. Gorgeous. You will hit at least one or two water wet water crossings. Nothing deep or troublesome but you will have to get your feet wet. There is one you can get across on a fallen log but you have to look off trail for it a bit.

Sounds correct but I don't have a map in front of me. I've generally always done that route in three days, two nights as you are planning.

Can anybody shed some light on the water situation - any portions of the route "dry"?
    No, don't even worry about it.

I assume the "bug season" will be over by then, correct (hoping to not bring a head net)?
    All things being equal you should be correct. I've never had bug problems that late in September but there's a first for everything.

EDIT: They had a lot of storm damage but most of it has been cleared by now. I believe the bridge at the mouth of the Big Carp is still out but there are areas to cross. Check with the Rangers when you pick up your permit.
    Last edited by alifeoutdoors; 08-17-2017 at 16:37.
    Once you're lost in twilight's blue, you don't find your way, the way finds you.

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Whoopie Tree Strap
    Quote Originally Posted by alifeoutdoors View Post
    General Questions:

You'll be better than the summer hordes with school being back in session, the crowds will have thinned. Lake Superior Trail campsites could still be at a premium but the interior trails SHOULD be a lot less traffic. You will still get the color seekers though.

Yes, with exceptions, it's a hangers paradise.

Moderate to Chilly at night. At that time of the year I would have a fleece for breaks or cooler days and my puffy for night.

More Specific Questions:

One of my favorite routes. I love starting on the Big Carp at Lake of the clouds because it's basically (mostly) downhill all the way to the lake for about 12 miles. Little Carp is my favorite over all trail in the Porkies. Gorgeous. You will hit at least one or two water wet water crossings. Nothing deep or troublesome but you will have to get your feet wet. There is one you can get across on a fallen log but you have to look off trail for it a bit.

Sounds correct but I don't have a map in front of me. I've generally always done that route in three days, two nights as you are planning.

No, don't even worry about it.

All things being equal you should be correct. I've never had bug problems that late in September but there's a first for everything.
    Thanks for that! I tried this route in May of 2016 but my hiking partner, who claimed to have experience, made it maybe (2) miles so we endued up backing out (only one vehicle sadly). Hence the "going solo" this year! So, if I would like to see color, I should probably wait a few more weeks, huh?

Hammock
    Mood Dependent
    Tarp
    Weather Dependent
    Insulation
    Just Dependent
    Suspension
    Beckett Up Pardner
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by sub_squoch View Post
    Thanks for that! I tried this route in May of 2016 but my hiking partner, who claimed to have experience, made it maybe (2) miles so we endued up backing out (only one vehicle sadly). Hence the "going solo" this year! So, if I would like to see color, I should probably wait a few more weeks, huh?
    I would have been crushed, maybe got them a hotel room then informed them I'll be back in three days. lol

Color peak is generally around the first week of October but you'll have plenty of color by that time in Sept. I wouldn't change your plans for it.
    Once you're lost in twilight's blue, you don't find your way, the way finds you.

Hammock
    Mood Dependent
    Tarp
    Weather Dependent
    Insulation
    Just Dependent
    Suspension
    Beckett Up Pardner
    Images
    You replied before I got my edit in on my first post so I'm going to copy and paste it here to make sure you see it.

EDIT: They had a lot of storm damage but most of it has been cleared by now. I believe the bridge at the mouth of the Big Carp is still out but there are areas to cross. Check with the Rangers when you pick up your permit.

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Whoopie Tree Strap
    Quote Originally Posted by alifeoutdoors View Post
    I would have been crushed, maybe got them a hotel room then informed them I'll be back in three days. lol

Color peak is generally around the first week of October but you'll have plenty of color by that time in Sept. I wouldn't change your plans for it.
    Yea it was pretty brutal - needless to say it was a quiet ride back home! I looked at the DNR website and almost all the cabins and yurts are rented for that time period - I hope that isn't a bad sign (not that I want one). I am hoping to stay at Shining Cloud Falls night #1. Seems like an awesome site about what, maybe 8 miles from LOTC. So, can you camp anywhere in the Porkies or just at designated sites? Also, I know I need a park pass (which I have from a June MI motorcycle tour) but do I need any other passes or anything?

We went in mid-October last year and hit the fall colors right at the end. Like, the first day we hiked it was beautiful and the second day the wind picked up and LOTS of the color was gone. Just like that! So maybe you will see the beginning of the color change, but it will really depend on the weather in the weeks prior. It was pretty crowded when we went, and we had to look for a while before finding a campsite that wasn't already occupied. But we were tenting it and looking for an established site along Lake Superior, which we found pretty late in the day. Trails were in decent shape with the exception of the Cross Trail (it's crap, don't even consider taking it!) though we did have some fairly muddy areas. Overall, we really enjoyed it and would definitely do it again. This time we will be using hammocks!
    Last edited by Mamaflan; 08-18-2017 at 14:03.

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Whoopie Tree Strap
    Quote Originally Posted by Mamaflan View Post
    We went in mid-October last year and hit the fall colors right at the end. Like, the first day we hiked it was beautiful and the second day the wind picked up and LOTS of the color was gone. Just like that! So maybe you will see the beginning of the color change, but it will really depend on the weather in the weeks prior. It was pretty crowded when we went, and we had to look for a while before finding a campsite that wasn't already occupied. But we were tenting it and looking for an established site along Lake Superior, which we found pretty late in the day. Trails were in decent shape with the exception of the Cross Trail (it's crap, don't even consider taking it!) though there we did have some fairly muddy areas. Overall, we really enjoyed it and would definitely do it again. This time we will be using hammocks!
    Yea im really hoping to see at least some color and not a ton of people! I hear nothing but horror stories about cross trail so i def will be skipping it! For giggles, i checked the cabin and yurt rentals for that time period and they are almost all booked for every day i plan to be there....so i hope that isnt a sign that there will be tons of people. Was hoping that with school being started, and the colors not peaked, that i would avoid the crowds. We shall see...

Sent from my SM-G930R4 using Tapatalk

Hammock
    WB XLC DL 1.7
    Tarp
    SuperFly
    Insulation
    Wooki/Mamba
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by sub_squoch View Post
    ... i checked the cabin and yurt rentals for that time period and they are almost all booked for every day i plan to be there....so i hope that isnt a sign that there will be tons of people. Was hoping that with school being started, and the colors not peaked, that i would avoid the crowds. We shall see...
    What's the cancellation policy for those rentals? People may be grabbing them up for the chance that color may peak early then cancel for a small loss.

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Whoopie Tree Strap
    Quote Originally Posted by GreatBigDave View Post
    What's the cancellation policy for those rentals? People may be grabbing them up for the chance that color may peak early then cancel for a small loss.
    That's a good question/thought - I am not sure what the cancellation policy is - I don't need no stinkin' cabin so I am going either way!

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast