Question on sewing primaloft gold

After way too much googling I'm looking for some thoughts on the best to way sew two layers of 3oz primaloft gold for an underquilt. My two ideas are:

1) leave the scrim on and sew each PLG layer to one of my fabric layers, every 6 inches. Make sure the sewn lines offset and then sew both sides together. So it would be fabric > PLG>scrim>scrim>PLG> fabric. This option would be easier and only be an ounce of weight difference than option 2, but how study is the scrim?

2) remove scrim and use .5oz noseeum mesh. Alternate sewing the mesh to the bottom fabric and PLG layer and the top fabric and PLG layer to create an offset sewed in baffle to contain the PLG. This would be fabric>PLG>mesh>PLG>fabric. Definitely seems more sturdy, but going to be a real bear to sew.

Ok now some back story for the purpose. I recently started sleeping in a hammock in my basement at home 4-5 nights a week due to back pain on our latex foam mattress (wife loves it but it doesn't agree with me). I have been using fleece blankets wrapped around me and then getting in my sleeping bag. But it is an annoying process. So I want an underquilt. I really don't camp that often, but when I do I have some old gear that is bulky and not too warm (probably not good below 40°)Was hoping to reduce bulk (only have 50 liter pack and my old equipment really fills it up) and improve my sleep system while I'm at it. Part of me is intrigued with the challenge of the primaloft quilt and the weight/bulk benefits, but the other part of me says you only go camping once a year, just make a simple Apex UQ out of 3.6 and be done with it.

Sent from my XT1049 using Tapatalk

Hammock
    Towns-End Luxury Bridge
    Option 1. You can actually tear the scrim off to save weight if you'd like. The scrim is basically synthetic tissue paper and makes handling/sewing easier.

Just in case you are mixed up a bit- The PLG needs to be quilted 6" OC, but it only needs to be quilted to one shell.
    So shell, PLG, scrim. Then repeat. Then sew it up like you were sewing a pillow case/Apex quilt- Shell to shell, then turn.

You don't want to quilt all 4 layers together, rather quilt one layer to each shell independently, then assemble.

Being for personal use... those are manufacturer specs. You can sew 12" OC with a reasonable expectation of durability especially for primarily home use. It's the packing/unpacking that wears it out. That said I know a few folks who have simply used PLG like apex with zero quilting.

Apex is technically supposed to be quilted 24" OC but I can't think of a single cottage manufacturer who actually follows that spec.

Quote Originally Posted by Just Bill View Post
    Just in case you are mixed up a bit- The PLG needs to be quilted 6" OC, but it only needs to be quilted to one shell.
    So shell, PLG, scrim. Then repeat. Then sew it up like you were sewing a pillow case/Apex quilt- Shell to shell, then turn.
    This is what I was thinking in my mind, but did not articulate it well - although I was thinking sewing 6" the full length of the UQ, not OC. I guess my concern with this was after quilting each of PLG layers to a shell and then sewing the shells together I essentially have "2" quilts combined. If the insulation was to start pulling apart it would just fall around in the middle. With the option 2 I would have the two shells/PLG sewn to a layer of mesh which would contain pulled apart insulation in that 6" section. Does that make any sense? I may be misunderstanding how the insulation degrades?
    Last edited by brettwasbtd; 08-16-2017 at 21:59.

• + New Posts