Warbonnet Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    Cloudburst
    Insulation
    Lynx and Burrow
    Suspension
    Strap and Buckle
    Quote Originally Posted by kattdogg View Post
    I am sorry I have not been to a MN Frozen Butt hang YET.... so when you mention sponsors does that mean they donated something for every one to use on the hang,, like they provided a meal or is there some type of raffle that goes on? lol either way I am going to be there...
    It means various things. Some vendors are supplying full hammock systems for people to try at the hang if they would like (Sierra Madre Research), all have donated to a raffle (we've got some really kick butt items already delivered by awesome vendors waiting for the raffle), and some will be there to answer questions (and of course have fun too)
    The camper formerly known as HikingDad...

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 dbl & XLC
    Tarp
    Big MJ & Superfly
    Insulation
    Yeti & 2 Wookies
    Suspension
    Stock straps
    Images
    Based on spreadsheet numbers, several bonfire sites should be planned for (especially if we get some serious cold). Scrounging for firewood works for small groups,
    and in this area firewood is usually softwoods of lower heat value) however I recommend that local forum members ask local residents for a local logger who could dump off a small load of hardwood logs or dried split firewood. Obviously we would need have a collection to pay for this, but it could be the right thing to do...
    In past FB's, some people standing in the outer rings were blocked from the warmth of the fire by the people in the front rows.

My guess is that a local logger/retiree might jump at the opportunity for a cash project if given enough lead time.

50 plus people is something to think about...

Hammock
    Warbonnet Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    Cloudburst
    Insulation
    Lynx and Burrow
    Suspension
    Strap and Buckle
    Quote Originally Posted by Tumbleweed View Post
    Based on spreadsheet numbers, several bonfire sites should be planned for (especially if we get some serious cold). Scrounging for firewood works for small groups,
    and in this area firewood is usually softwoods of lower heat value) however I recommend that local forum members ask local residents for a local logger who could dump off a small load of hardwood logs or dried split firewood. Obviously we would need have a collection to pay for this, but it could be the right thing to do...
    In past FB's, some people standing in the outer rings were blocked from the warmth of the fire by the people in the front rows.

My guess is that a local logger/retiree might jump at the opportunity for a cash project if given enough lead time.

50 plus people is something to think about...
    Hi Tumbleweed,

Thanks for the input. We (Hillbilly and I) have been discussing the fire situation. He was just up there preparing wood and the site. We will be going up again shortly to do more work. That said, I think it is important for everyone to remember that you are responsible for yourself when in the woods, and should not be there if you're unable to take care of yourself while winter camping. Sure we are doing some preparation, but you should expect to help out while at the hang. This is the way it usually has been done, and it goes off without incident.

For the sake of transparency - our areas of concern are:

- Parking for everyone
    : we are currently engaging with some local establishments to hopefully secure more parking off site and shuttle people in. We are hopefully going to secure that before too long and will be announcing all the official details shortly afterward.

- Water: We will, as in past years, be asking people to bring jugs of water.

- Fire: We are prepping some before the hang, but people should (and always do) bring axes, mauls, saws, etc. and help with the gathering of wood. We are also looking at fire configurations for groups this large and will hopefully be able to have room for those that want to be around the fire. That said, we need to consider the impact of this.

- Safety: Personal safety is ultimately going to be the responsibility of each individual there. The area we've identified is a short walk in, and in the event that there is an accident people should be able to be evacuated to their vehicle or to a vehicle quickly. Additionally, I will have a wall hot tent there if there is an issue with the cold for someone.

- Impact on the area: Like I mentioned previously, we need to consider the impact on the surroundings. Further information on this will be given out as the event comes closer. We want to prevent any issues with the DNR as well as keep the area as wild as we can.

Hope that helps everyone understand where we're working on the hang.

Hammock
    Raven, SLD Streamliner
    Tarp
    Hanger11WB,WntrHvn
    Insulation
    HG,UGQ,JrB
    Suspension
    UCR's
    Images
    Good to know you guys are on top of things! It was definitely a group effort gathering wood least year.

This should NOT be taken lightly, especially by the inexperienced!
    - Safety: Personal safety is ultimately going to be the responsibility of each individual there. The area we've identified is a short walk in, and in the event that there is an accident people should be able to be evacuated to their vehicle or to a vehicle quickly. Additionally, I will have a wall hot tent there if there is an issue with the cold for someone.

It's certainly going to be interesting if close to 60 people do show up

Hammock
    Raven, SLD Streamliner
    Tarp
    Hanger11WB,WntrHvn
    Insulation
    HG,UGQ,JrB
    Suspension
    UCR's
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by alifeoutdoors View Post
    56??????? Phew, way too big of a crowd for me ;P
    I'm thinking the same thing.......

Hammock
    Warbonnet Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    Cloudburst
    Insulation
    Lynx and Burrow
    Suspension
    Strap and Buckle
    Alright everyone - it has been a struggle to pull together the details for this hang, but after spending all morning on the phone with various locations and people we can officially announce the 2018 Hang details. Please see the information below.

2018 FBH Info.jpg

January 19-21 4620 Sawbill Trail, Tofte, MN 55615

This year’s hang will be located at the Sawbill camprground. The road to the outfitter/campground is plowed as is the parking lot. Trails around the campground are not plowed so be prepared for that.

We will select one of the campground sites as our communal spot and everyone will spread out from there selecting their own sites.

This is on the edge of the BWCA and we will have access to trek into the wilderness if we like as well as ice fishing! So bring your fishing gear!

Please bring jugs of frozen water for melting (we can also access water out of the lake if need be). Additionally, please bring firewood gathering tools (saws, axe, maul, etc.).

LIABILITY WAIVER:

By attending the Frozen Butt Hang I HEREBY ASSUME ALL OF THE RISKS OF PARTICIPATING IN ANY/ALL ACTIVITIES ASSOCIATED WITH THIS EVENT, including by way of example and not limitation, any risks that may arise from negligence or carelessness on the part of the persons or entities being released, from dangerous or defective equipment or property owned, maintained, or controlled by them, or because of their possible liability without fault.

I certify that I am physically fit, have sufficiently prepared or trained for participation in this activity, and have not been advised to not participate by a qualified medical professional. I certify that there are no health-related reasons or problems which preclude my participation in this activity.

In participating in this activity, I hereby take action for myself, my executors, administrators, heirs, next of kin, successors, and assigns as follows:
    I WAIVE, RELEASE, AND DISCHARGE from any and all liability, including but not limited to, liability arising from the negligence or fault of the entities or persons released, for my death, disability, personal injury, property damage, property theft, or actions of any kind which may hereafter occur to me including my traveling to and from this activity,

I acknowledge that this activity may involve a test of a person's physical and mental limits and carries with it the potential for death, serious injury, and property loss. The risks include, but are not limited to, those caused by terrain, facilities, temperature, weather, condition of participants, equipment, vehicular traffic, lack of hydration, and actions of other people including, but not limited to, participants, volunteers, monitors, and/or producers of the activity. These risks are not only inherent to participants, but are also present for volunteers.

I understand while participating in this activity, I may be photographed. I agree to allow my photo, video, or film likeness to be used for any legitimate purpose by the activity holders, producers, sponsors, organizers, and assigns.

The Accident Waiver and Release of Liability notice shall be construed broadly to provide a release and waiver to the maximum extent permissible under applicable law.

Hammock
    Mood Dependent
    Tarp
    Weather Dependent
    Insulation
    Just Dependent
    Suspension
    Beckett Up Pardner
    Images
    My family has been friends with the Hansens for many years, nice place for a hang. Really good people and now on their third generation of owner / operators of Sawbill.
    Once you're lost in twilight's blue, you don't find your way, the way finds you.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    Cloudburst
    Insulation
    Lynx and Burrow
    Suspension
    Strap and Buckle
    Quote Originally Posted by alifeoutdoors View Post
    My family has been friends with the Hansens for many years, nice place for a hang. Really good people and now on their third generation of owner / operators of Sawbill.
    I don't know them personally, but it is a great place and they are very friendly and welcoming of us!

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Good job on getting all that together fellers!
    Whooooo Buddy)))))
    Shug
    Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    DH - Sparrow
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Fiber
    Insulation
    HG 20
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Quote Originally Posted by goobie View Post
    Good to know you guys are on top of things! It was definitely a group effort gathering wood least year.
    Indeed it was with gathering firewood(that small splitting axe was excellent), I remember a lot of people not being able to get near the fire. Food was excellent though!

This year with that many people there may have to be multiple fires going on instead of a long fire. That is a lot of people and lot of firewood needed. If Hillbilly needs help gathering firewood have him PM me. I can make a drive up there over a weekend or two.
    My Youtube Channel: A Year In Camping
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCiu...6KWtT23dHHXj1w

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast