Dutch/SLD/WB/DIY
    Tarp
    DWG/HG/SLD/UGQ/DIY
    Insulation
    Loco Libre Gear
    Suspension
    Dutchware
    Quote Originally Posted by Brad32825 View Post
    I just built a 10'x10' square with 4x4's, they're buried 2 feet down and I attached eye screws to the posts. I still have some finishing work to do, I'll post the link to my soon to be pergola.

https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...58#post1809958

To be clear, I'd wager that (at least) 95% of the time good-quality structural 4x4 posts are fine for most hammock applications; I hang off 4x4 posts regularly at home, strung between my front porcch and either a tree or another 4x4 holding up my daughter's playhouse/swing set. However, they are natural products, and like all natural products, individual units can exhibit structural variation that takes them outside of the safety limits of our expected use.

That said, just as we include substantial safety factors (typically 5:1) for hammock suspensions, 4x6 and 6x6 posts probably aren't overkill for anyone who decides to use them, especially when planing for contingencies like tandem hanging between the same two posts. They are just a prudent option that keeps you covered under virtually all "what if" scenarios.

In the case of a square pergola made from 4x4s -- much like my front porch -- those horizontal cross-braces dramatically increase the strength and stability of a 4x4 post bearing loads along the vectors typically associated with hammock applications, and I wouldn't have any qualms about such structures under typical kinds of use.
    Smart graphic design for all your needs by BGD

Hammock
    BBXLC / Others
    Tarp
    Currently HH Hex
    Insulation
    HG and AHE
    Suspension
    Variety fo the job
    I ran 4"x6"x10' pressure treated beams, 3 feet in the ground leaving me 7' for more than the proper height. I'm about 17' across and I attached Keeper D-rings for my carabiners, but a guy here wrote about the track he installed for an indoor hang which I might use for the outdoor. 6x6x12 is overkill

Hammock
    , , , , , chameleon
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    kitsapcowboy--thanks for the elaboration, I was shocked to hear, in my other post, that some 4x4's had failed...I then edited my previous post about the over kill. I thought they were much stronger and can understand how 6x6's wouldn't be overkill. I'm very happy to hear that the horizontal braces will help strengthen my set up. I was getting pretty worried about it. Thanks again.

Hammock
    Dutch/SLD/WB/DIY
    Tarp
    DWG/HG/SLD/UGQ/DIY
    Insulation
    Loco Libre Gear
    Suspension
    Dutchware
    Quote Originally Posted by Brad32825 View Post
    kitsapcowboy--thanks for the elaboration, I was shocked to hear, in my other post, that some 4x4's had failed...I then edited my previous post about the over kill. I thought they were much stronger and can understand how 6x6's wouldn't be overkill. I'm very happy to hear that the horizontal braces will help strengthen my set up. I was getting pretty worried about it. Thanks again.
    No problem. FWIW, I think your square pergola looks very useful and is an elegantly simple and straightforward way to get a lot of good hanging space in a small footprint with a very efficient list of materials. Those Simpson Strong-Ties are awesome for this kind of post-and-beam construction. Well done.
    Smart graphic design for all your needs by BGD

Hammock
    WBBB XLC/R.R 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    WB Superfly UGQ WD
    Insulation
    HG/LocoL/AHE/UGQ
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Smokeum View Post
    6x6x12 is overkill
    Not at all. I'll be using a Smokehouse tarp in the winter. The strap system it uses requires quite a bit of pressure, waaaayyyy more than a regular tarp. Add that with the tarp with snow weight on it, well that some force on the posts.
    I would also need longer posts than you because my frost line is quite a bit deeper than your's.
    Hanging in the woods, paddlin and catching trout- My kind of living...

Hammock
    WBBB XLC/R.R 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    WB Superfly UGQ WD
    Insulation
    HG/LocoL/AHE/UGQ
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Images
    So I'm leaning toward 16ft wide. I was thinking about sanding the corners down a bit so it's not so harsh on the strap and painting with a UV varnish. I won't be using a cross beam and don't think I will be angling my posts either. Hopefully Home Depot will have some that don't have large knots. If not I may have to find a lumber yard.
    Any suggestions on keeping those big heavy 6x6's straight will the cement set?

Hammock
    Warbonnet RR / BlackbirdXLC
    Tarp
    SimplyLightDesigns
    Insulation
    Lynx / LocoLibre
    Suspension
    webbing/buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by LuvmyBonnet View Post
    So I'm leaning toward 16ft wide. I was thinking about sanding the corners down a bit so it's not so harsh on the strap and painting with a UV varnish. I won't be using a cross beam and don't think I will be angling my posts either. Hopefully Home Depot will have some that don't have large knots. If not I may have to find a lumber yard.
    Any suggestions on keeping those big heavy 6x6's straight will the cement set?
    Good choices. A few knots in a 6x6 isn't going to affect their holding power like a 4x4. Grab a couple of 2x4's and cut them in half and put one nail in the 2x4 into the 6x6 and nail the other end to a stake once you get this 6x6's level. Do this in two directions and it'll hold till they set up. Like in this picture.
    http://www.remodelaholic.com/wp-cont...com-2-of-6.jpg

Hammock
    HH Expedition, HH Explorer Dlx
    Tarp
    Noah 12, BCUSA 10
    Insulation
    JRB Nest, Old Rag
    Suspension
    Stock HH w/rings
    Images
    When I built my back porch one corner is a 6x6 (square) post. 17' away is a nice oak tree. That is where I hang at when I am in Fl. 6x6 is set 4 foot deep, tamped in with gravel and sac create. Did I need to go 4' deep? Maybe not but since it will be holding a roof and my hammock I wanted to be sure.

I have a 1" set of tree huggers that I use only on the square post, this will be their 3rd winter and I just checked them for wear. None found.

In NW Ohio, where we are building a retirement home at, the frost line is 36' +/-. I will be sitting a 6x6 same 4 foot deep up there.

Perhaps it is over build but for me, better overbuild than pick my butt up off the ground
    Deb
    TOS Terms of Service Link
    Guidelines to New For Sale Section Link
    How to obtain access & maintain your threads in For Sale Section Link
    Guidelines for Want to Buy (WTB) Section
    Hammock Acronyms

"The older I get, the more I appreciate my rural childhood. I spent a lot of time outdoors, unsupervised, which is a blessing." Barbara Kingsolver

Hammock
    WBBB XLC/R.R 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    WB Superfly UGQ WD
    Insulation
    HG/LocoL/AHE/UGQ
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by dkurfiss View Post
    Perhaps it is over build but for me, better overbuild than pick my butt up off the ground
    That's what I was thinking. I don't need anymore titanium in me!

Hammock
    Ridge Outdoor Gear Pinnacle 360
    Tarp
    UGQ Rect. and HHex
    Insulation
    DIY CDT/synth sets
    Suspension
    Straps/Speed Hooks
    Images
    I would think for a 6x6 without a top rail, this would be a minimum standard for safety where a 4x4 is pushing your luck. That said, with a top rail, a 4x4 would be fine.

As far as overkill, a 6x6 post would be a small diameter tree so I don't think in this respect that it's overkill.
    Enjoy and have fun with your family, before they have fun without you

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast