Page 31 of 31 FirstFirst ... 21293031
    Hammock
    Towns-End Luxury Bridge
    Quote Originally Posted by iGottaGoPee View Post
    Has anyone swapped from the original carabiners/whoopie suspension to amsteel loops/Dutch beetle suspension?
    Forgot this video review shows/discusses this option very well at the 4:20 mark if you're not up for the full video- but a good overall discussion of the Happy Medium with several points that apply to the larger Luxury/Big Guy too.

Hammock
    Towns End BGBH
    Tarp
    UGQ WD12
    Insulation
    HG Incubator 20
    Suspension
    Ultimate Straps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Just Bill View Post
    That said- most folks looking for this type of tarp (asking me at least) are more looking at non-stove use.
    Full coverage from bugs or prying eyes at the local state park type stuff. So still fits that bill.
    Yep - this thing gives you all the privacy you could possibly want with plenty of room.
    Retired US Navy, 10-year Stage IIIb colon cancer survivor. I believe my last words will be "Hold my beer..."

Quote Originally Posted by Just Bill View Post
    Hmm... no input from me on that issue.

That said- most folks looking for this type of tarp (asking me at least) are more looking at non-stove use.
    Full coverage from bugs or prying eyes at the local state park type stuff. So still fits that bill.
    Hey Bill ....UK bill here ...had a wonderful BG off you a while back . Excuse the laziness but hoped you might be able to advise about a basic relatively inexpensive tarp setup that would work well with your hammocks . I don't have the funds for the wonderful kit you have in the states ..especially with all the import and shipping charges so would like to purchase something locally to do the job . Size needed, set up tips and simple would be great (if possible) . Thanks in advance and all the best .

Hammock
    Towns-End Luxury Bridge
    Howdy UK Bill- hope things are going well for you.

I'm not sure exactly what vendor to suggest for you but simply put:
    You need a 12' ridgeline at minimum.
    A Hex shape tarp is minimal coverage I'd skip.

My preferred tarp is a simple rectangle. Typically about two panels (about 9') x 12' long... but there are others doing 'XL' fabrics here in the states that can get that a bit wider.
    After that- many prefer a 'winter' tarp to close the ends but with my recessed bar bridges you can close up a rectangular tarp fairly well as is if you're having trouble finding a decent winter shape.

I do like having panel pulls (two per panel) for an external pole mod but it isn't needed.

So overall- keep it simple and a little loose.

I like a fairly limp tarp rather than trying to get everything drum tight. While you won't win any gear photo contests- in real life a little slack sheds water better, lets the tarp last longer and gives you a little forgiveness if you bump or stumble into it. So to that end I typically use a section of shock cord on all my major tie outs when possible.

https://www.ddhammocks.com/product/tarp-xl?from_cat=33

Off hand (the only Euro vendor I recall) DD has some basic 3mx4m tarps that seem like a reasonable price. Best vendor ever? Honestly I don't know but I've seen them mentioned often enough that I at least have a little name recognition. It's missing the panel pulls but otherwise seems okay as a decent budget option.

Hammock
    Towns-End Luxury Bridge

Thanks to Mark for putting this out there...

Hammock
    Towns End BGBH
    Tarp
    UGQ WD12
    Insulation
    HG Incubator 20
    Suspension
    Ultimate Straps
    Images
    Great to see you're still innovating Bill! And wait, a bug net with a floor & zipper????? Would that fit my BGBH?
    Retired US Navy, 10-year Stage IIIb colon cancer survivor. I believe my last words will be "Hold my beer..."

Hammock
    Towns-End Luxury Bridge
    Quote Originally Posted by Slugger View Post
    Great to see you're still innovating Bill! And wait, a bug net with a floor & zipper????? Would that fit my BGBH?
    It does, lol. I've been quietly selling a few. The final version is doing long term testing in the Everglades still.

It fits the Big Guy/Luxury or Just A Bridge.

All that said;
    The purpose is really for those of you in the south east where it's too hot to use an underquilt, the bugs are up, and you want full 360* coverage.

As Mark hinted at... it's also designed for that combo AT/LD hiking type rig where you might want to slap it down as a net tent/bivy on trips you bring your pad along. The primary function is in 'bridge mode' but it works pretty well on the ground and sure beats slapping your $200+ dollar hammock in the dirt just to get the use of your bug netting.

The normal bottom entry net is easier to use and to get in and out to be blunt... So I wouldn't call it a critical update by any means unless you've got a need for it.

Here's the original 1 door prototype in the everglades on a Luxury Bridge. Head is on the right side of the picture and you can see the slash door to the far side.
    Everglades Net.jpg

Final version has 2 doors. (This is hanging on 'just a bridge') The curve of the slash door looks a little 'off' on Just a Bridge, but is setup to match the curve of the Lux/Big Guy
    Everglades 2door1.jpg
    Everglades 2door2.jpg

Hammock
    SLD Trail Lair
    Tarp
    Thunderfly
    Insulation
    JRB Greylock 3
    Suspension
    UCR/Spider Straps
    I recently acquired a Happy Medium bridge hammock from Bill after a running injury was making extended trips in my GE painful. Thank you Bill for being so patient with my endless questions as I was reticent to add more weight to my backpacking kit and was hopeful I could make my existing tarps (Hammock Gear Journey and Warbonnet Thunderfly) work with both the bridge and my GE hammock. I also spent some time reviewing this thread and the contribution of various members related to making different underquilts fit the Townsend bridges.

I thought I'd share a few photos of both my JRB Greylock 3 and my HG Phoenix 40 fitted to the hammock. I first tried with the suspension looped over the spreader bars but it pulled the UQ too wide and made the end channel cord snare drum tight. So I essentially landed on the same techniques that Bill details for the HG Incubator in his UQ video series while adding an additional soft shackle at both the head and foot end to get the 3/4 length quilts to fit. I combined these with the center "pick-me-up" attached to the including middle D rings on the Phoenix and to binder clips on the Greylock (I'll eventually get some plastic quilt hooks for better weather proofing). I found I didn't need the additional end "pick-me-ups" used on the Incubator since the 3/4 length quilt primary suspension is under more tension than a standard length UQ. It's in the 40s here today and both quilts were keeping me toasty while lounging in the bridge.

I put a mini aluminum line level on the ridge line to help get the hammock flat during set-up. Probably won't use it much after getting more used to the bridge, but it only weighs 10 grams so it will tag along for now.

Untitled by Twistytee, on Flickr

Hammock Gear Phoenix 40

• + New Posts
  • Page 31 of 31 FirstFirst ... 21293031