Page 25 of 31 FirstFirst ... 152324252627 ... LastLast
    Hammock
    Towns-End Luxury Bridge
    Don't feel too bad... I'm not only the founder of the SBSC, but a multi-time member, lol.

One person popped a hole in there and slept on it for nearly three months before patching it. I let one go for about 60 days myself just to see... The 1.7 Hybrid fabric is pretty nice stuff.

I've never seen one tear- when they go they go like a bullet hole. I think the clean 'punch' with a round pole helps as well in terms of the tenacious tape being such a good repair.

Hammock
    Towns End BGBH
    Tarp
    UGQ WD12
    Insulation
    HG Incubator 20
    Suspension
    Ultimate Straps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Just Bill View Post
    Don't feel too bad... I'm not only the founder of the SBSC, but a multi-time member, lol.

One person popped a hole in there and slept on it for nearly three months before patching it. I let one go for about 60 days myself just to see... The 1.7 Hybrid fabric is pretty nice stuff.

I've never seen one tear- when they go they go like a bullet hole. I think the clean 'punch' with a round pole helps as well in terms of the tenacious tape being such a good repair.
    Now that you've brought this up I'm getting some of that tape & sticking it in my hammock bag "just in case." Not trying to become a member of the SBSC!
    Retired US Navy, 10-year Stage IIIb colon cancer survivor. I believe my last words will be "Hold my beer..."

Hammock
    Towns-End Luxury Bridge
    Quote Originally Posted by Slugger View Post
    Now that you've brought this up I'm getting some of that tape & sticking it in my hammock bag "just in case." Not trying to become a member of the SBSC!
    I still carry a needle and thread... It can fix a busted pack strap, bad zipper, or a problem with a prototype. Course that's assuming you can sew...

But a hunk of Tenacious Tape is far more practical for most stuff, in many repairs it's even better than sewing. A few grams of weight well worth it for many repairs.
    This is actually a perfect example of a repair that works better than sewing... sewing would create needle holes as well as a pucker of extra tension... making the repair more likely to fail. The tape can flex a little without creating any extra tension.

Those 3x5 patches are probably the most useful. The peel off backing tends to buckle and collect dirt over time. I keep the roll stuff in the shop but the pre-cut patches can sit in a diddy bag without worry in your pack. That way you don't forget it or burn it up if you do have a repair to do at home.

Duct tape sticks well to DCF/Cuben... but it works poorly on most other fabrics. The other problem is the residue left (or the extra damage you do) when you peel it off to do a more permanent repair.

Hammock
    Blackbird 1.7 double
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    UGQs ZEPPELIN
    Suspension
    Dutch Clips
    Images
    dubious member of the Spreader Bar slinging club

I don't know for sure but I might be the founding member...
    I am still 18 but with 52 years of experience !

Hammock
    Towns-End Luxury Bridge
    Quote Originally Posted by gunner76 View Post

I don't know for sure but I might be the founding member...[/COLOR]
    Hmmm... of the testers/customers you may indeed be.
    I did it at least once prior to selling any, but I'm fairly sure Grizz did it at least once prior to me, though he is a carefully fastidious fellow and does like his bobbins.

Seems right to call Grizz the founding member, but on the other hand given the typical sound and typical bullet hole appearance perhaps a fella that goes by 'Gunner' makes the most sense

Well, I'm surely a member! And the Tenacious Tape is still holding wonderfully!

Hammock
    GrizzBridge Ariel
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Winter
    Insulation
    DIY UQ
    Images
    Oh yeah, I'm probably the founding member unless TeeDee is, but he'd never fess up to that. Happily the only thing ever threatened by my javelins were curious squirrels in the yard, not expensive tarps. Did learn from that to be careful at the corners.
    Grizz
    (alias ProfessorHammock on youtube)

Hammock
    Towns-End Luxury Bridge
    Quote Originally Posted by GrizzlyAdams View Post
    Oh yeah, I'm probably the founding member unless TeeDee is, but he'd never fess up to that. Happily the only thing ever threatened by my javelins were curious squirrels in the yard, not expensive tarps. Did learn from that to be careful at the corners.
    As far as building bridges goes; if you haven't broken a few you're doing it wrong.

As far as I'm concerned; You're always the founding member of anything related to recessed bar bridges.
    I know there are plenty of folks who chipped in along the way and yer quick to point em out and rightly give em credit.

Thoughts, ideas, what-ifs, and how bout you try that are the makings of prototypes.
    And tinkering in a bedroom or shop for home sleeping can move things along. A vigorous 'quant-off' may even help you bounce around the ideas in your head long enough something useful tumbles out.
    But at the end of the day someone needs to put the pieces together into something that actually makes sense to put into a backpack and trust in the field to make it a viable design.
    It only becomes an actual piece of gear when you cross that finish line and someone actually trusts their trip to what you came up with.

“Tis no finer compliment that a backpacker can give than to add an item to a kit.
    Nor no higher honor than to continue to carry it once the long miles have decided it’s true worth.”

Ol’ Man Willy

Hammock
    Blackbird 1.7 double
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    UGQs ZEPPELIN
    Suspension
    Dutch Clips
    Images
    Just wanted to say thanks to Just Bill with coming out with a Bridge for use by us big guys.
    I am still 18 but with 52 years of experience !

Hammock
    Towns End BGBH
    Tarp
    UGQ WD12
    Insulation
    HG Incubator 20
    Suspension
    Ultimate Straps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by gunner76 View Post
    Just wanted to say thanks to Just Bill with coming out with a Bridge for use by us big guys.
    I second that motion!!!
    Retired US Navy, 10-year Stage IIIb colon cancer survivor. I believe my last words will be "Hold my beer..."

• + New Posts
  • Page 25 of 31 FirstFirst ... 152324252627 ... LastLast