Town's End Bridge or WBRR
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Superfly
    Insulation
    Ridge Creek
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Images
    Well past the honeymoon phase. Just got back from my lake place where I slept in a bed.

The watch may not be 100% accurate, but I can feel the difference.

I was glad to be home last night

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk
    "It turns out that what you have is less important than what you do with it"

Hammock
    Towns-End Luxury Bridge
    You get spoiled quickly, lol.

I'm testing that REI semi bridge thing... back is pretty sore today as a result. I'll give it a full week but I miss my Lux already.

Hammock
    Yes
    Tarp
    Doors for sure
    Insulation
    Love some down
    Suspension
    Usualy helps
    Quote Originally Posted by Just Bill View Post
    You get spoiled quickly, lol.

I'm testing that REI semi bridge thing... back is pretty sore today as a result. I'll give it a full week but I miss my Lux already.
    We all appreciate your research and whatever it may or may not apply to your designs.

Hammock
    Towns-End Luxury Bridge
    Quote Originally Posted by Dvankirk View Post
    We all appreciate your research and whatever it may or may not apply to your designs.
    Thanks!

First impressions-
    I will give credit where credit is due- it's a nice little package for a good price.
    They did blow the tarp size but otherwise it's pretty innovative for a mass production product and a turnkey system.
    You'd have to upgrade the tarp for true three season use, but for something you can slap up out of the box it's acceptable for the summer car camper.

My kids love it and they had a mildly terrifying wrestling match and violent tickle fight with no harm done thus far. (I like to have them test/trash stuff too).
    They rolled pretty far over and hit the netting several times which is a weak point for any integrated net hammock but so far no damage.
    I need to get my wife in to see what she thinks.

It's not impossible to use without a pad but a pad makes a huge difference. I don't think I could nap in it given my back issues without a pad... but I could see folks enjoying it... especially GE fans.
    That said... I still think bridges are an easier transition for a ground dweller as you just slap the pad and bag/quilt you already own inside and you can get out- so requiring a pad isn't a deal breaker to me at all. In some ways it's a selling point of bridges and reduces the initial cost to switch over or try it out without spending big bucks on quilts or needing to learn all the terminology and tricks.

It's technically not a bridge hammock, but it is pretty neat from a design perspective what they did with the hammock.
    Unlike some of the other 'me too' bridge designs popping up this one is thought through from the ground up and offers something unique to the market that you could really only do on a mass production product. To me products like this only expand the market for cottage folks and REI remains a good gateway store and solid place to buy gear in my opinion overall. Not many brick and mortar places left.

This is a good value for REI members... especially if you score it on a sale as I did. (actually been sitting on the shelf since fall and I haven't hung it until now).
    As most REI members know... you also have a year to return it no questions asked.
    I could easily see myself sending a few folks to this product over the RR simply because of the 'REI factor'.
    In particular shorter and/or lighter users. I seem to get pretty close to maxing it out at 5'10" and the bedspace is 6' on the nose... though you have a little room from there.

The poles are permanently attached- which can complicate packing it. But that said this is more geared towards the tent crowd who are used to packing tent like packages in their gear.
    Another minor ding... this seems to pitch much more gathered end esque in terms of the suspension angle. It hung better for me on a steep 30-40* angle rather than a more typical 20-25* bridge setup. The drawback there being that you lose that advantage bridges tend to have regarding strap height in longer tree to tree setups... but gathered end users probably would feel more familiar with this setup.

I can't sleep in the RR without a pad either, the center collapse is just too much for my back issues. This has a similar problem and some slight shoulder squeeze for my larger frame.
    This being a flat lay design (rather than a wedge shaped like the RR) is also likely more enjoyable for side sleepers and you don't have any 'edge bite' issues.
    Overall first impressions are that it would be a good addition to a hammock collection and would make a perfect loaner to a ground dweller or casual user on a car camping trip. It's fairly intuitive to use and has a tent style door entry that is familiar to many. It's also a good choice for kiddos as they are 'contained' and it's a decent size to allow them to sit in it with a sibling.

I'm interested to see what Don has coming from Jacks on his UL BMBH as the chief complaint about the BMBH is the 'coffin' issue.
    While the REI bridge has depth that reduces visibility it still feels more open because you don't have the netting running right across the top to close you in so dramatically.
    So BMBH vs the REI bridge the edge may go to the REI bridge for that reason. While some folks don't enjoy the net system I use on my bridges... I do feel if you are going to do a full net you should be able to sit up in it. To me if I just want to keep the bugs off I'll use a head net or partial net... but if I truly want to replicate that 'room feel' of a tent then I should be able to sit up in my bug free space and enjoy it. So for those who like that feature the REI bridge is the closest to mine regarding usable space inside the net.

Course I just finished some 15 ish ounce Happy Medium prototypes so the UL race continues, lol. But Jack's has UQ's to complete their package which is handy for those who don't want to tinker.

Good to have choices...

Hammock
    Town's End Bridge or WBRR
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Superfly
    Insulation
    Ridge Creek
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Images
    So, this is a hit at scout camp.

Few observations:

1. Lotta rain so far here in WI. A regular 11' Superfly has kept me dry.

2. Love the visibility.

3. The big net works. I like the convenience of attached nets, bit I've used this so much netless that it's nice having a removable one.

It isn't a pain to get in and out. The black flies and skeeters have been pretty bad, and it's been working great.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk
    "It turns out that what you have is less important than what you do with it"

Hammock
    Luxury Bridge, SLD Trail Lair
    Suspension
    Whoopie/Toogle
    Hello !

I'm a very happy owner of a Luxury Bridge since a few months now. I've been using it to hike 4 seasons and also to sleep at home. I'm 6.2", and about 200 lbs. This hammock is very comfortable for me, offer a perfectly flat lay. To my mind, it's a perfect one for back and side sleepers.
    Picture of this last spring :
    1.jpg

Unfortunately, I've been reckless one night and the spreader drilled a hole in the fabric. I wanted to hike until a specific location where I wanted to sleep, and it was dark when I've started to hang. Dark and windy, with gray clouds coming : I was in a rush and I didn't see that one of the spreader bars was out its normal place, and when I sat in the hammock, I heard the ugly noise of the fabric tearing !

How could i fix it ? Sew a piece of fabric on it ? Simply sewing on it many times to "fill" the gap ?

2.jpg 3.jpg

Thanks for your help

Hammock
    JustBill's Biggy Deluxe
    Tarp
    WB Super Fly
    Insulation
    Zepp/LL Ghost Pepr
    Images
    I launched one through my first Big Guy like a javelin! It didn’t sound like a tear, it went off like a rifle shot it was a bit of carelessness which hasn’t been repeated now in a couple years. Bill patched it and it held up fine. I’m sure Bill will chime in, but I’d shoot him an email and see what he says. Good luck!
    But for the grace of God, there, I go...

Hammock
    DIY Bananahammock
    Tarp
    Dutch Duo
    Insulation
    DIY / HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Kevlar & UCR
    Using the luxury hammock as intended with no javelin-throwing errors sure gives an amazing hang but I’m glad to know it can be used to take down approaching bears if need be.
    Get lost in the woods and find yourself again. A vacation,to me, is working with your hands and surviving because of the fruits of your labor. In the business world I teach;in the natural world I learn.

Hammock
    Towns-End Luxury Bridge
    Quote Originally Posted by Zenon View Post
    Hello !

I'm a very happy owner of a Luxury Bridge since a few months now. I've been using it to hike 4 seasons and also to sleep at home. I'm 6.2", and about 200 lbs. This hammock is very comfortable for me, offer a perfectly flat lay. To my mind, it's a perfect one for back and side sleepers.
    Picture of this last spring :
    1.jpg

Unfortunately, I've been reckless one night and the spreader drilled a hole in the fabric. I wanted to hike until a specific location where I wanted to sleep, and it was dark when I've started to hang. Dark and windy, with gray clouds coming : I was in a rush and I didn't see that one of the spreader bars was out its normal place, and when I sat in the hammock, I heard the ugly noise of the fabric tearing !

How could i fix it ? Sew a piece of fabric on it ? Simply sewing on it many times to "fill" the gap ?

2.jpg 3.jpg

Thanks for your help
    Hello yourself! Glad to hear the hammock has been working well for you. There are two of you in France now!

https://www.gearaid.com/products/ten...nt=28044148689

Besides being a prestigious member of the 'Town's End French delegation' it appears you are now a dubious member of the Spreader Bar slinging club.

Looks like you almost caught it in time by the drag mark... but all is not lost.

Sewing patches can be a problem... as you are introducing more needle holes.
    I did Patch Johnny's hammock and one or two others but tenacious tape seems to be doing the job fairly well on the couple others we've tried it on. Beemermc put a hole through his double layer early on and has been haning on the taped patch for close on two years now. I've got one at home I hung on for 60 days before I had to test other models.

I would get the clear, though most of us have used black. The clear lets you keep an eye on the hole to see if it stretches or expands at all, but as mentioned we've had good luck on the others.

On the single layers (Luxury) patching one side seems to work fine. Place the patch on the interior (side you lay on).
    With the double layer (Big Guy) patch on each side (one patch per layer).

I suggest you make sure the hammock is clean and dry.
    If you have an iron- iron the area lightly with low heat just to make sure the fabric is smooth.
    Cut a strip of tape at least an inch longer than either side of the hole... or pick up a larger patch https://www.gearaid.com/products/ten...ape-patch-flex
    If you use the tape, round the corners slightly (good plan for any repair).
    Apply the tape over the hole- let the iron cool and use that to press/smooth the tape.

If you don't have an Iron- put the area between some heavy books overnight.

You should be good to go...
    And probably not a bad idea to toss a few inches of Tenacious tape into your diddy bag now that you have some. It works on most sewn goods and does a great job.
    But it really seams to last longest if you can wait until you are home and everything is clean, dry, and pressed firmly to start. Once the adhesive grabs it seems to live up to it's name.
    In the field; you can remove the insole from your shoe to act as an 'ironing board' and use the back of your spoon to smooth the patch.
    Last edited by Just Bill; 09-16-2019 at 10:34.

Hammock
    Luxury Bridge, SLD Trail Lair
    Suspension
    Whoopie/Toogle
    Thank you for your advice, I'm going to try this patch !

Happy and proud to belong to your delegation, I'm nevertheless still pouring tears on my perforated precious. I would have preferred not enter the SBSC, even to discover new things to do with my spreader bars. No bears here anyway (almost not), maybe a wolf or two, and many rabbits. Nothing worth this hole !

• + New Posts
  • Page 24 of 31 FirstFirst ... 142223242526 ... LastLast