Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Hammock
    HikingDad Bridge
    Suspension
    Whoopie

Size of patterns for double layered bridge hammock

I would like to make a double layered bridge hammock, according to HikingDad's pattern. I've bought Hexon 1.6 etc from Dutch, and I'm eager to get started as soon as the package arrives. The reason for the double layers is to accomodate a sleeping mat, but also to make it a bit more secure for my weight.

For a double layered hammock like this, is it best to make the bottom/outer layer slightly larger than the inner layer? To have 'room' for the pad? I assume that if I don't do this, then the main weight will be on the outer layer and not shared between the two?

Hammock
    HikingDad Bridge
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    I ended up adding 12 cm to the outer layer. The sleeping pad is 6.7 cm thick. This worked pretty well. When I sleep in the hammock, the outer and inner layer have a very similar stretch. Because of a mixup I only got one spreader bar, so I had to make one with a 3d printed end... Seems to work...

20170810_192135.jpg20170810_192208.jpg

The closeup gives away that I'm not much of a sewing-machine expert, but at least I managed to finish it...

Looks good. Any pictures with a person in the hammock? Can you post the dimension of the cut fabric? Im going to try making one

Kjell

Hammock
    HikingDad Bridge
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    Can add picture with someone in it later. It feels surprisingly flat.

I've used HikingDad's video as a basis, with info from this forum thread: https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...Bridge-Hammock (on page 18 there is quite a nice template). Added a picture of the inner layer in this post, but it's pretty much exactly like HikingDad did. The outer layer has the same basic shape, except that I had a straight line instead of the triangles that make up the end + I added 12 cm width.

I did do one other change. I sewed the ends first and then extended the ribbon beyond the edge instead of cutting it flush, and wrapped it back. Instead of sawing on a completely separate on. I also didn't use Dutch's special connectors, as you can see in the previous picture.

20170809_170211.jpg

thanks. This was exactly what I was looking for.
    I'm thinking to just widen the inner layer ~8-10cm and use pad in the hammock. Did you consider this instead of the double layer? No issues with the pad moving out of position with your design?
    Last edited by Kjelli; 08-11-2017 at 03:56.

Hammock
    HikingDad Bridge
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    It moves a bit, so might consider adding something to hold it in place, but not a big problem. Dropping the inner layer would work fine I think... It's worth a try. I had a double layer also because I didn't quite trust a single layer but that might not really be a problem depending on your weight.

Slept in the garden last night, up until 2 AM when I moved inside . I had a problem with condensation and my sleeping bag was relatively wet (on the surface) and I was sweating. I guess I was too warm, but I can see on the forum that this sometimes is an issue with sleeping pads and that underquilts that breath may solve it. Or just using the sleeping bag on top as a duvet. I've had similar problems when sleeping on the ground, so not sure if I really should blame the hammock. But if this sleeping pad really leads to lots of condensation then maybe I'll try with an underquilt instead. Maybe make one from a sleeping bad. Extremtextil seem to have OK shipping rates to Norway and although they don't have all the fabric that the US shops have, maybe its ok. I've ordered fabric and insulation from them to make an underquilt, to test...

I can feel a strong tradeoff in stability and flatness, as has been mentioned in various posts. When I make it flatter, it feels less stable. There are some posts on the forum about using a pad in a bridge hammock and how it makes it less stable. But adding fabric should help that I think. It also has to do with the width of the bars apparently.
    Last edited by Mobilars; 08-11-2017 at 03:09.

Thanks for the info. I'll go for a single and deeper layer then. Should help with stability. I will always use a sleeping pad in this.

Hammock
    HikingDad Bridge
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    Here is a picture of the hammock with me in it (not visible). On this picture there's no pad in the hammock, and I think it's a bit flatter with the pad. I just wanted to tested without the pad a bit also. The inner fabric then stretches almost into the outer fabric.

hammock.jpg

I ended up buying a cheap hammock and using the fabric from that to make this bridge hammock (a cheap GE hammock). Not sure if I like a pad or a cheap underquilt best. Pad gives a flatter lay, but the underquilt gives a completely different warmth in the hammock. Going to use the hammock during a hike this weekend.

Thanks for all your tips, they really helped. Last thing to get is some "two piece" spreader bars.

Kjell

Hammock
    HikingDad Bridge
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    Cool. Let us know how it works out. Reusing fabric from a cheap hammock is a good idea, given the shipping and tax cost we have here in Norway... I'm planning to make an underquilt. Have bought some climashield from extremtextil. Will be interesting to compare with the pad-experience.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast