Go! Outfitters 11'
    Tarp
    YO Walkabout
    Insulation
    AHE New River
    Suspension
    Rallt strap, biner
    Images

Question Just got back from a 4 night trip, adjustment questions...

I just got back from a 4 night backpacking trip with my Grand Trunk SBP and it went pretty well other than some issues I'm hoping I can work out with adjustments. I've done a handful of trips now with this hammock and it's worked pretty well but going for 4 nights straight brought some things out more noticeably. My problem is that my lower back on my left side gets really tight and when I wake up early in the morning to answer the call of nature I have trouble getting back to sleep. I can't pinpoint exactly what could be causing this. I have added a ridgeline, I use a small pillow under my knees, and being 5' 9" I get a pretty flat lay when I get a good angle in it.

The fabric of the SBP doesn't seem to have much stretch to it at all, would a hammock with more stretch help with this or make it worse?

Is there any way to set up a hammock that allows for your feet to lay apart with some space between them instead of close together? It seems like this might help to alleviate the back stiffness/tightness also.

Hammock
    Warbonnet RR / BlackbirdXLC
    Tarp
    SimplyLightDesigns
    Insulation
    Lynx / LocoLibre
    Suspension
    webbing/buckles
    Images
    Generally speaking the longer the hammock the more comfortable it is. There are always exceptions to the rule but this rule holds true more times than not. You may want to try a longer hammock or even a bridge hammock. The bridge hammocks allow a more flat lay without the "fight" to stay diagonal. Experimentation is your friend. Also ensure your hang your foot end higher than you head end to prevent the sliding to the bottom of the hammock syndrome.

Hammock
    Dutch/SLD/WB/DIY
    Tarp
    DWG/HG/SLD/UGQ/DIY
    Insulation
    Loco Libre Gear
    Suspension
    Dutchware
    There are three possible solutions for you to consider, each more radical than its predecessor...

1) Experiment with hanging the foot end of your SBP 6" to 12" higher than the head end; this will compel you to sleep with your head and torso closer to the head end of your hammock, and it might help you position your feet where the hammock offers a little more room for your footbox.

2) A longer and/or wider gathered-end hammock might help. Your SBP is somewhere between 10' and 10.5' long and is considered "standard-width" at about 60". A full 11-foot hammock, especially a widebody model might give you a little more wiggle room in the footbox, as while you are of average height, it sounds like you prefer to adopt a fairly aggressive diagonal lay in your gathered-end hammock and could benefit from the extra space.

3) A bridge hammock will give you loads of foot room, but you may have to alter other parts of your sleep system to accommodate the switch.
    Smart graphic design for all your needs by BGD

• + New Posts