Tarp
    Superfly, AH hex,
    Insulation
    HG, Snugpak, SLD
    Suspension
    Whoopie Ti toggle
    Images

Question Breaking up the clumps.....

So after a spring and summer of pretty regular , almost every night use either inside or outside in the sometimes oppressive humidity where I live, I decided it was time to give my CDT TQ a wash. I followed standard down TQ washer protocol and washed it on the delicate cycle w/ a very mild detergent. After the washer, I placed it in a poly knit laundry bag ( the kind that you find at the Dollar store w/ all the holes in it) , and began to dry it on low heat with my Snugpak and Thermarest pillows that also got washed and get used every night. I placed 5 of my daughters t-balls in with them to aid in braking up the clumps of down like normal. After about 30 mins, I took the TQ out and began trying to break some of the larger clumps up manually. The fabric was 90% dry at this point and some of the down had started to separate on its own and began to fluff up. Here's my question... What's the best/safest way to break up those larger clumps? Rubbing them between your fingers? Flattening them between your palms? Pulling them apart? Its a CDT so no baffles to worry about but I wanna make sure I don't rip the down while breaking up the clumps right? Can the down be damaged in the de-clumpping process? I use this TQ quite a bit so I don't wanna ruin it somehow , even though its inexpensive.
    " The best pace is a suicide pace, and today looks like a good day to die." ~ Steve Prefontaine

Hammock
    DIY 11' Hexon 1.6 wide
    Tarp
    DIY 12' Hex
    Insulation
    DIY Costco TQ, UQ
    Suspension
    DIY hugs, whoopies
    I just washed mine. YMMV, but I just threw mine in the dryer on low heat with the tennis balls. Super fluffy after!

Hammock
    HG,Dutch,XLC ,RR
    Tarp
    Superfly, AH hex,
    Insulation
    HG, Snugpak, SLD
    Suspension
    Whoopie Ti toggle
    Images
    It came out OK. Had to do 2 1/2 cycles but all the clumps are gone now.
    " The best pace is a suicide pace, and today looks like a good day to die." ~ Steve Prefontaine

Hammock
    JRB BMBH
    Tarp
    JRB 11x10 Cat Tarp
    Insulation
    JRB UQ of season
    Images
    Having washed plenty of down quilts I find 2 hours for a summer quilt, 2.5 hours for a three season quilt and 3 full hours for a winter quilt with two-three tennis balls will get the job done... Be sure to set the dryer on low and use timed dry, not sensor dry.

Pan

added... Since many JRB quilts have been around for a decade or longer, it is not unusual for us to get inquiries about "Refreshing" old quilts or opening and adding down... In every case we walk folks thru washing and drying and in every case they have been successful and avoided "refreshing" or repurchasing...

Washing instructions here... http://www.jacksrbetter.com/care-and-cleaning/
    Ounces to Grams.

www.jacksrbetter.com ... Largest supplier of camping quilts and under quilts...Home of the Original Nest Under Quilt, and Bear Mountain Bridge Hammock. 800 595 0413

Hammock
    DIY 11' Hexon 1.6 wide
    Tarp
    DIY 12' Hex
    Insulation
    DIY Costco TQ, UQ
    Suspension
    DIY hugs, whoopies
    I wash mine, then hang them outside (or in the garage if weather is not good) to dry for about 2-3 hours. Then I fluff on low heat for just 30 minutes with the 3 tennis balls.

• + New Posts