Tarp
    Superfly, MambaJam
    Insulation
    HG Phoenix, WL Sum
    Suspension
    Webbing, Whoopies
    Images

Cuben leaks!

Why does your ridge catch water? Do you put your ridge line under the tarp? That could be your issue. Put it over the tarp, or just in the ends.
    My tarp would leak as well if I had water pooling.

Quote Originally Posted by TallPaul View Post
    Why does your ridge catch water? Do you put your ridge line under the tarp? That could be your issue. Put it over the tarp, or just in the ends.
    I don't use a ridge line, just a line off both ends. Beats me why it catches a bit of water. I pitch it really tight. We're not talking about huge amounts, but even a teaspoon full is a bunch when it drips through onto your head at 4am!

Hammock
    WildernessLogics 12x6
    Tarp
    HG cuben 13ridge12
    Insulation
    TopQuiltUnderQuilt
    Suspension
    S and D

Cuben leaks!

I have an idea, ive posted before, --no one was interested, maybe a bad idea.
    When making cuben tarp, overlap about six inches--that way if water gets through it would have to go up hill to get to other side--there would be no seam at top--both seams would be three inches from top on either side.
    I really don't know if this will work and it adds weight, but cuben doesn't weigh much.
    Good luck
    Also this would decrease width of tarp and if only using two sheets of cuben might be too narrow. My tarp has an extra band added on both bottom edges for extra width. My tarp probably has same top seam as yours made by HammockGear.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Phantom Grappler; 08-05-2017 at 22:04.

Hammock
    WBXLC, WBBB, LiteOwl
    Tarp
    Superfly, MambaJam
    Insulation
    HG Phoenix, WL Sum
    Suspension
    Webbing, Whoopies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Zed View Post
    I don't use a ridge line, just a line off both ends. Beats me why it catches a bit of water. I pitch it really tight. We're not talking about huge amounts, but even a teaspoon full is a bunch when it drips through onto your head at 4am!
    Roger. Sounds like you are using a god practice. I'll let you go back to the dripping on your head And good luck on the trail.

Hammock
    DIY 11ft Hammock
    Tarp
    3m x3m MYOG Camo
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    Amsteel
    I have replaced a lot of cuben for prople, eventually it just gets old from all the creases and starts to delaminate or become brittle.

Sent from my LG-H815 using Tapatalk
    Tacblades

Quote Originally Posted by Tacblades View Post
    I have replaced a lot of cuben for prople, eventually it just gets old from all the creases and starts to delaminate or become brittle.

Sent from my LG-H815 using Tapatalk
    Yep. The inside of the roll top of my arc blast pack is mostly repair tape at this point due to that.

Hammock
    WildernessLogics 12x6
    Tarp
    HG cuben 13ridge12
    Insulation
    TopQuiltUnderQuilt
    Suspension
    S and D
    Quote Originally Posted by Zed View Post
    In addition to stuffing tarp in a very tight space being a possible cause of delamination---you said " I pitch it really tight " ---I'm thinking that can cause delamination too.
    My tarp stuff sack is oversized and tarp is not compressed as much as others and my tarp ridge line is only reasonably tight--not spang tight. I don't get camp as much as you. Maybe my tarp will last a while...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hammock
    DH Sparrow/Dutchware Chameleon
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Fiber
    Insulation
    HG Incu/Burrow
    Suspension
    Ti Cinch Buckle
    I just experienced some leaking from my cuben tarp the other day. I didn't have time to investigate when it was happening since it was dripping into my hammock, but I think it was because I was using my trekking polls over the tarp for the pull outs and had them to tight. I think there was pooling up top, so I ended up ditching the polls, made a tighter pitch and had no problems the rest of the night. Still need to make sure there are no actual holes, but I think it was the top seam.

Hammock
    Dutch Chameleon
    Tarp
    UGQ Winterdream
    Insulation
    0° Zepp/Ren...UGQ
    Suspension
    Dutchware bb sus
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by TallPaul View Post
    Or, is water actually running down the line? After 3 years, I'd assume this wouldn't be it, but, you never know, people sometimes get lucky with a setup for a long time before they meet conditions where their luck runs out, and they're left scratching their head because it's always worked before. It happened to me. I set up a particular way for years, and never had water run down my suspension far enough to reach my hammock... Until one storm it did

Sent from my SM-T817V using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by WalksIn2Trees View Post
    Or, is water actually running down the line? After 3 years, I'd assume this wouldn't be it, but, you never know, people sometimes get lucky with a setup for a long time before they meet conditions where their luck runs out, and they're left scratching their head because it's always worked before. It happened to me. I set up a particular way for years, and never had water run down my suspension far enough to reach my hammock... Until one storm it did

Sent from my SM-T817V using Tapatalk
    That was my first thought when it happened the first time. When I got a zero day, I checked where the drip was in the bathroom sink and was able to get water through the tarp in several places. I patched those, then checked the entire ridgeline. It all looked good then, but now this new place is leaking. It's just an end of life, wear and tear deal.

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123