Town's End / DH Sparrow
    Tarp
    Winter Haven 13
    Insulation
    HG, SLD, DIY
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images

Best 3-day Oregon loop in September / October?

My Dad and I are trying to plan a trip out west. I really want to go to Oregon, but have no idea where to start. Help!

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird XLC 2.0
    Tarp
    WB Mambajamba
    Insulation
    Down quilts
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Some classic backpacking trips in Oregon are the 40 mile Timberline trail around Mt Hood, the 3 sisters loop, and the eagle cap wilderness in the Wallowas. Here's some more info on those and some other excellent options in Washington: http://www.cleverhiker.com/blog/8-ic...kpacking-trips

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Images
    Timberline and sisters are typically 4+ days. St. Helens is a 3 day loop, but very strenuous and technically in Washington.

A fantastic September 3 day hike would be the Three Fingered Jack loop as described in the book One Night Wilderness: Portland. Starts at Santiam Pass to Booth Lake. Day 2 is Booth lake cross country over Three Fingered Jack saddle then down to the lake. Day 3 is from the lake back around the West side of Three Fingered Jack and back to your car. This hike has the benefit of being lightly travelled and heavily scenic. Plus you get a bit of the PCT.

Hammock
    Chameleon
    Tarp
    HG Dyneema
    Insulation
    HG UQ, Custom TQ
    Suspension
    Yes
    Go slow and make Eagle Creek last you 3 days. It's really beautiful.

Hammock
    Dream Hammock Roaming Gnome
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Superfly
    Insulation
    HG Incubator 20
    Suspension
    Whoopies/Atlas
    A good resource is www.oregonhikers.org They have a field guide and a "find a hike" search that you can use. There is a ton of information there and, just like on this site, plenty of people willing to help you. If you are flying into Portland, I wouldn't narrow my search to just Oregon. There are a lot of really nice hikes in SW Washington that are close to Portland. Goat Rocks is one of my favorites. The Loowit trail around Mt St Helens is amazing but there are very limited hanging options. That is about the only place where I go to ground anymore. The route is also very difficult to find in places due to washouts, lack of signage, and long stretches of boulder fields with no discernible trail. The Timberline trail around Mt Hood is also very nice but it is 40 miles with lots of elevation gain. It would be tight to fit that into a 3 day window. Eagle Creek to Wahtum Lake is another good option. You can do it as an out and back or use one of trails in the Columbia River Gorge that connect up on the Benson Plateau and do a loop. Enjoy your trip!
    Last edited by bghiker; 08-01-2017 at 20:21.

Images
    Eagle Creek is a very crowded area and better done as a day-hike in my opinion. There are lots of other amazing places that are not so crowded.

+1 on OregonHikers.org

Hammock
    11' Dutch Netless
    Tarp
    SuperFly, others
    Insulation
    AHE KAQ/ENO
    Suspension
    Cinch,Whoopie,Atla
    following...

Hammock
    Town's End / DH Sparrow
    Tarp
    Winter Haven 13
    Insulation
    HG, SLD, DIY
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by leiavoia View Post
    Timberline and sisters are typically 4+ days. St. Helens is a 3 day loop, but very strenuous and technically in Washington.

A fantastic September 3 day hike would be the Three Fingered Jack loop as described in the book One Night Wilderness: Portland. Starts at Santiam Pass to Booth Lake. Day 2 is Booth lake cross country over Three Fingered Jack saddle then down to the lake. Day 3 is from the lake back around the West side of Three Fingered Jack and back to your car. This hike has the benefit of being lightly travelled and heavily scenic. Plus you get a bit of the PCT.
    Are there waterfalls on this loop?

Hammock
    Town's End / DH Sparrow
    Tarp
    Winter Haven 13
    Insulation
    HG, SLD, DIY
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by bghiker View Post
    A good resource is www.oregonhikers.org They have a field guide and a "find a hike" search that you can use. There is a ton of information there and, just like on this site, plenty of people willing to help you. If you are flying into Portland, I wouldn't narrow my search to just Oregon. There are a lot of really nice hikes in SW Washington that are close to Portland. Goat Rocks is one of my favorites. The Loowit trail around Mt St Helens is amazing but there are very limited hanging options. That is about the only place where I go to ground anymore. The route is also very difficult to find in places due to washouts, lack of signage, and long stretches of boulder fields with no discernible trail. The Timberline trail around Mt Hood is also very nice but it is 40 miles with lots of elevation gain. It would be tight to fit that into a 3 day window. Eagle Creek to Wahtum Lake is another good option. You can do it as an out and back or use one of trails in the Columbia River Gorge that connect up on the Benson Plateau and do a loop. Enjoy your trip!
    What would be one with a lot of waterfalls?

Images
    Eagle creek is the waterfall parade, thus the crowds that gather there. You can hit up a LOT of waterfalls in just one day in the same general vicinity around Multnomah falls. Again, I think those are better as weekday day hikes. You can alternatively start from or end at eagle creek and make a 3+ day loop through your choice of Benson Plateau, Tanner Butte trail, or the Herman Creek trail. Anything in the Columbia Gorge is going to have waterfalls.

The Three Fingered Jack loop has no waterfalls but it does have several swimmable lakes, amazing panoramic peak views, a fun cross country scramble, and a section of the PCT. It is comparatively dry and exposed. Totally worth it.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast