Dutchware Chameleon
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Superfly
    Insulation
    HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckle

new member seeking some feedback

New here looking for my 1st camping hammock. Even though I had enjoyed many youtube videos by Shug, Sintax77 etc over the last year I never quite got the hanger thing. That is until I got an inexpensive hammock as a present and used it car camping. It was quite a revelation as in "now I get it!"
    So after much research, I had finally settled on what I thought would be the best hammock for future adventures; hiking and camping in the White Mountains, NH. I decided on the Warbonnet Blackbird XLC. Unfortunately the winter cover isn't available right now and it appears to be a 4 week wait. That wait may be ok, I'd rather have it sooner but if there is another comparable alternative I would definitley consider it. Aprreciate any advice.
    Thanks Pete

Hammock
    WBBB-XLC 2017
    Suspension
    Straps & Cont Loop
    Welcome to the forum!
    My 2 cents worth: Don't worry about a winter cover- too much condensation to deal with- better to let that vapor dissipate. Instead invest in a nice enclosed winter tarp and you'll be better off. I love my XLC- enjoy!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hammock
    Chameleon
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    HG 20 deg UQ, TQ
    Suspension
    webbing
    Hi, welcome and enjoy your BB XLC! I have a regular BB and I don't use a winter cover, I use the bugnet it adds some warmth. honestly putting a tarp down low is good enough for me at below 0 levels and I was so toasty. No problems with condensation. If you are going to really be way below zero the cover can add warmth definitely but a good winter tarp will cut the wind which is what you want. I have the Superfly and I love it. Get it in silpoly not nylon as nylon tends to stretch.

I see you are in Mass, hope you will be joining some of our hangs. Come to the fall NEHHA at Mohawk state forest in Charlemont to meet some very nice people. Hope to see you around.

Hammock
    WB BBXLC 1.7 DL
    Tarp
    WB Superfly/Edge
    Insulation
    HGB20+WBWW/HGP30
    Suspension
    Web
    Quote Originally Posted by Woody Woodpecker View Post
    Welcome to the forum!
    My 2 cents worth: Don't worry about a winter cover- too much condensation to deal with- better to let that vapor dissipate. Instead invest in a nice enclosed winter tarp and you'll be better off. I love my XLC- enjoy!
    +1

Hammock
    Warbonnet RR / BlackbirdXLC
    Tarp
    SimplyLightDesigns
    Insulation
    Lynx / LocoLibre
    Suspension
    webbing/buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Woody Woodpecker View Post
    Welcome to the forum!
    +2

Hammock
    Dutch Chameleon
    Tarp
    HG Cuban Palace
    Insulation
    HG Incub./Burrow
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckle
    Quote Originally Posted by Pete02093 View Post
    if there is another comparable alternative I would definitley consider it. Aprreciate any advice.
    Thanks Pete
    I believe Dutchware's Chameleon is a good comparison. My wife and I each have one. I think I've only slept in a bed twice this month, all other nights in the Chameleon. I have both the integrated bug net and winter cover, but have yet to install the winter cover. Last winter I slept in a Dutch Netless hammock with a winter sock and low pitched tarp. Did great in Alaskan temps, I think around 10* was the coldest I camped in.

I haven't dealt with condensation issues, but agree with others that cutting the wind and appropriate quilts are the key to keeping warm in winter.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hammock
    HG,Dutch,XLC ,RR
    Tarp
    Superfly, AH hex,
    Insulation
    HG, Snugpak, SLD
    Suspension
    Whoopie Ti toggle
    Images
    I love my XLC and forgot to order the winter cover with it. So until I could find one ( which I eventually bought from another forum member) I got the XL travel sock and it worked great. Now I've got the winter cover for the XLC and can use the sock either with it in netless mode, or with any of my other hammocks. But, a good winter tarp and or Under Quilt Protector is a must. I've never had any condensation issues with the winter cover or sock. Dutch has a winter sock also that's made from Argon 90 and is cheaper than the Warbonnet XL Travel Sock I think. Either way, if you've got a tarp with doors and an UQP, you'll be just fine for most temps. The cover/sock are nice but def not a must have to be able to hang in the single digits.
    " The best pace is a suicide pace, and today looks like a good day to die." ~ Steve Prefontaine

Hammock
    HG,Dutch,XLC ,RR
    Tarp
    Superfly, AH hex,
    Insulation
    HG, Snugpak, SLD
    Suspension
    Whoopie Ti toggle
    Images
    Yeah I just checked, the Dutch argon winter sock is $57 and the Warbonnet XL sock is $100. I'd still get a good winter tarp and UQP first though, then when the temps drop this fall, re-evaluate how much you need the winter cover or a sock. Personally, I'm glad I have the sock and cover : more options depending on temp, wind, condensation..... Never hurts to have options.
    " The best pace is a suicide pace, and today looks like a good day to die." ~ Steve Prefontaine

Hammock
    WBBB SL 1.7
    Tarp
    WB Mamajamba
    Insulation
    WB 0° Wooki +3oz
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Images
    I also don't like top covers. The Warbonnet Travel Sock XL is a great investment for the XLC. You can't compare it with the Dutch sock, because it has a zipper that makes it a lot easier to use and to vent. Of all socks I have seen and used, it's the highest quality. I'd buy it again anytime.

Hammock
    Dutch/SLD/WB/DIY
    Tarp
    DWG/HG/SLD/UGQ/DIY
    Insulation
    Loco Libre Gear
    Suspension
    Dutchware
    Dutchware Chameleon
    Simply Light Designs Trail Lair
    Smart graphic design for all your needs by BGD

• + New Posts