Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Hammock
    Claytor JH
    Tarp
    stock JH tarp
    Insulation
    CCF and body fat

cat cut poly tarp?

My dad recently gave me a huge (about 30' X 40') poly tarp that he had used as a temporary roof over his house/construction site while building. Parts of it have seen some hard use and show serious wear, but there's a portion of it (a roughly rectangular area about 19' X 13') that's in good shape.

I was wondering if it would be possible to cut a catenary tarp, Black Cat style, out of the good area. Would it work? Would I have to cut it into a hexagonal shape first, cut that in half, and then rejoin the two halves to make it truly catenary?

Aside from whether it would work, it this a good idea? On the downside, this thing is heavy as hell, and it's that typical baby-blue tarp color; I'll look not so much like a hammocker as a consturction site. I also imagine this thing is very loud in wind and rain. On the plus side, it's compltely waterproof and I got it for free.

In the end, I might just donate this thing. Maybe the local little league can cover their very tiny infields or something. But before I do that, I thought I'd ask: Any thoughts from the DIY catenary crowd?

Hammock
    Homemade Speer-type
    Tarp
    BlackCat
    Insulation
    Potomac UQ
    Suspension
    Homemade/CC Buckle
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Nails View Post
    My dad recently gave me a huge (about 30' X 40') poly tarp that he had used as a temporary roof over his house/construction site while building. Parts of it have seen some hard use and show serious wear, but there's a portion of it (a roughly rectangular area about 19' X 13') that's in good shape.

I was wondering if it would be possible to cut a catenary tarp, Black Cat style, out of the good area. Would it work? Would I have to cut it into a hexagonal shape first, cut that in half, and then rejoin the two halves to make it truly catenary?

Aside from whether it would work, it this a good idea? On the downside, this thing is heavy as hell, and it's that typical baby-blue tarp color; I'll look not so much like a hammocker as a consturction site. I also imagine this thing is very loud in wind and rain. On the plus side, it's compltely waterproof and I got it for free.

In the end, I might just donate this thing. Maybe the local little league can cover their very tiny infields or something. But before I do that, I thought I'd ask: Any thoughts from the DIY catenary crowd?
    I don't think you'd be very happy with yourself if you put that much work into a poly blue tarp. Like you said, they're heavy, noisy, and not terribly good in general for hiking.

Just email Ed Speer and get yourself 8 yards of silnylon. For $32 plus shipping, you're not talking a lot of dough to make yourself a really nice piece of gear. I guess what I'm saying is, don't compromise when the good stuff is cheap

Just my .02
    "Physics is the only true science. All else is stamp collecting." - J. J. Thompson

Hammock
    Claytor JH
    Tarp
    stock JH tarp
    Insulation
    CCF and body fat
    Quote Originally Posted by blackbishop351 View Post
    I don't think you'd be very happy with yourself if you put that much work into a poly blue tarp. Like you said, they're heavy, noisy, and not terribly good in general for hiking.

Just email Ed Speer and get yourself 8 yards of silnylon. For $32 plus shipping, you're not talking a lot of dough to make yourself a really nice piece of gear. I guess what I'm saying is, don't compromise when the good stuff is cheap

Just my .02
    I guess I failed to mention that I don't want to sew anything -- or at least not anything terribly complex. I can use scissors and an X-acto knife OK, but needles and thread aren't my thing.

Hammock
    Homemade Speer-type
    Tarp
    BlackCat
    Insulation
    Potomac UQ
    Suspension
    Homemade/CC Buckle
    Images
    I guess I failed to mention that I don't want to sew anything -- or at least not anything terribly complex. I can use scissors and an X-acto knife OK, but needles and thread aren't my thing.
    Ahh gotcha. Well, in that case, you won't have terribly good luck with cutting down your poly tarp either. That loose-woven fiber would definitely need to be hemmed, or it would fray like crazy VERY quickly.
    "Physics is the only true science. All else is stamp collecting." - J. J. Thompson

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Only one way to learn! I have (had) zero sewing skills when I started my BlackCat Tarp. I'm down to attaching the tie-outs and seam sealing; both of which I plan to finish this weekend. It really isn't a terribly difficult project and BB gives some good hints with his plans. Go slow! Don't be afraid/ashamed to rip out a section and start over. It has taken me WAAAAAY longer than the plans say it should, but I am a true novice with sewing so I have been using the old construction motto "measure twice, stitch 5 times".

It may have been BB that said it before, but I don't remember for sure. I read something that said "If you look at your sewing machine like a big piece of Crack, you're on your way". That is really true with these projects; it'a a great feeling to step away (so you can't actually see the stitch lines) and be proud of what you've done. I highly recommend it!

Hammock
    Homemade Speer-type
    Tarp
    BlackCat
    Insulation
    Potomac UQ
    Suspension
    Homemade/CC Buckle
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Cannibal View Post
    It may have been BB that said it before, but I don't remember for sure. I read something that said "If you look at your sewing machine like a big piece of Crack, you're on your way".
    I think I might've mentioned that somewhere...

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    I can't put the pipe down man!

Hammock
    Homemade Speer-type
    Tarp
    BlackCat
    Insulation
    Potomac UQ
    Suspension
    Homemade/CC Buckle
    Images
    I can't put the pipe down man!
    Lol...you ain't just whistlin' Dixie, Bob...it's my JOB now

Hammock
    HH Expedition
    Tarp
    JRB 11x10
    Insulation
    DIY Climashield UQ
    Suspension
    Cinch buckles
    Images
    If you ever leave your gear set up at home you might want to make something really simple just use around the yard to save wear and tear (and UV damage) to your good tarp. You could just get some cheap tarp clips. If unraveling is a problem you could use tape.
    Now if you stumble upon some free Tyvek that is a whole different story...

Hammock
    Dutchware Half-Wit Hexon 1.6
    Tarp
    HG Palace
    Insulation
    Burrow & Crowsnest
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling
    Images
    It may have been BB that said it before, but I don't remember for sure. I read something that said "If you look at your sewing machine like a big piece of Crack, you're on your way".
    Why are you capitalizing crack? Do I need to sic BD on you guys?
    "If you play a Nicleback song backwards, you'll hear messages from the devil. Even worse, if you play it forward, you'll hear Nickleback." - Dave Grohl

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast