Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Hammock
    DH Raven #5906
    Insulation
    HG TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles

Sleeping Bag Used As Top Quilt -- Same Temp Rating?

New to this, and trying to design a system in which I will be doing a mix of tent and hammock camping. To save some money initially, I want to buy a sleeping bag which will then serve as the TQ until I can afford a dedicated one.

I plan on getting a HG UQ (cant decide between Phoenix Econ 3/4 20F and full length Incubator Econ 20F, for 3 season use in Colorado). However, b/c I will need to tent camp at times, wondering if I should do a 20F or 40F sleeping bag which will have to pull double duty as a TQ until I can afford a dedicated one. Will a 40F sleeping bag when "turned into a TQ" sleep like a 40 TQ? Or should I get the lower rated sleeping bag b/c they arent as warm as their TQ counter parts?

You will need to take into account -elevations at which you will be. Hanging or ground camping, the temp is going to be the same. So a 20* rating should take you to 30* if you are an avg. sleeper- not to hot or cold -just right and still have a 10* buffer. I have found that between 3 am and 6 am is the true temp. test as to wether I have the right combo with me. Will you be above tree line- need to go to ground?

Hammock
    WB Ridgerunner/W.Logics Snipe
    Tarp
    WB Cloudburst
    Insulation
    LocoLibre UQ,WLTQ
    Suspension
    Cinch Bks, whoopie
    Images

Yes to this question. Whatever rating the bag, is what it is however you use it. As long as you don't lose heat from the bottom. A good pad (Tent) or a good UQ (Hammock) will solve that prob.
    When I first started, I used a synthetic 30 degree bag as my TQ. Unzipped it down to my knees. Pulled it up and stepped in like a foot box and it was toasty. However I did invest in a 3/4 or torso down filled UQ and added a homemade poncho liner UQ to help in colder temps and to help in windy conditions. If it's really cold before you get an UQ you could do the poncho liner and a sunshade combo. I used a piece of Reflectix bubble insulation until I purchased the down UQ. I agree with the 10 degree buffer. Just remember around 3 or 4 in the morning you can always take out or discard if it's too warm easier than trying to add in the middle of the night. Practice while car camping a few times before hiking in with everything somewhere.
    MooseMan
    North Carolina
    "It is easier to prevent bad habits than to break them" <Ben Franklin>

Hammock
    11' Dutchware Hexon 1.6
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    LLG TQ/UQ 10*
    Suspension
    Dutchware Whoopies
    I use a top quilt when hammock AND tent camping. Unless it gets well below freezing, I find it more than adequate. You could always look at buying Enlightened Equipment's Convert which is a quilt/sleeping bag crossover.

Hammock
    DIY 10.5' HyperD 1.6
    Tarp
    Warbonnet, SLD
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WB Straps+Buckles
    Images
    To keep things simple, without taking all the variables into account, I think a sleeping bag will actually do a little more than a TQ. Depending on the type.

Some down sleeping bags are designed to allow for moving the down around within the baffles. So you can actually push most of the down to the top of the bag, effectively turning a 30° bag into a 20° top quilt...or even better. Of course those are just made up numbers; you'll have to get out and try it to know for sure.

I've used a 15° Marmot bag to about 2° with no problems. On the ground, 15° was pushing it too much for my comfort. You just have a lot more down on you in a hammock since it is narrower and sort of "piles up" higher. And of course the UQ is wrapping up the sides of your body.

Hammock
    Dream Hammock Sparrow #4280
    Insulation
    LocoLibreGear
    Suspension
    Whoopies w spiders
    I must agree with the others. I am using a cheap synthetic sleeping bag right now with my lovely Locolibregear Synthetic UQ. The matching top quilt is way too warm to use right now but the under quilt eliminates the cold butt syndrome. The cheap sleeping bag (£8) is enough for me to sleep without any problems. So if you already have a sleeping bag use that until you are absolutely ready to get a top quilt.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hammock
    Half-wit (3 season), Chameleon (win
    Tarp
    Superfly, Thunderf
    Insulation
    EE Revelation 20*,
    Suspension
    Whoopie!

As mentioned above, Top Quilts are quickly being seen more and more with tent dwellers. Several AT thru hikers used them exclusively, including Early Riser 71 who used two different ones and went well below freezing with his. Just make sure you have a pad with a good R value and your top quilt will be right at home on the ground.

The only drawback to using a sleeping bag as a top quilt is that it will weigh more than the same rated quilt. If lightweight backpacking is not your thing, then currently owned sleeping bags, of proper rating, is really the way to go. It's important to note that top quilts are quickly replacing sleeping bags, for many, in the ground dwelling world already.

Hammock
    Dream Hammock Sparrow #4280
    Insulation
    LocoLibreGear
    Suspension
    Whoopies w spiders
    Quote Originally Posted by BigSky! View Post
    The only drawback to using a sleeping bag as a top quilt is that it will weigh more than the same rated quilt. If lightweight backpacking is not your thing, then currently owned sleeping bags, of proper rating, is really the way to go. It's important to note that top quilts are quickly replacing sleeping bags, for many, in the ground dwelling world already.
    I agree but if he is on a budget and wants the added flexibility of a sleeping bag he has to decide which direction to go. I think with a good sleeping pad as long the quilt goes down to as low as he needs then it should be fine. Without the restrictions of a zip you can simply stick a body part out to cool down if too hot.

The fact that he has mentioned HG quilts could mean he could opt for the econ versions and still be within budget.

Hammock
    DH Raven #5906
    Insulation
    HG TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Thanks for all the input and advice. Def on a budget right now, but the potential of using a TQ on the ground is intriguing except for the steep price when compared to some of the HG Econ line products

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast