Tarp
    Still researching
    Insulation
    Still learning
    Suspension
    Carabiners/straps

Fixed height suspension

Hello

I want to hang a hammock in my home office. I want to hardware to be 5 ft up the wall so that when the hammock is not in use, I can unclip one end and just hang it on the other wall. At 5ft my 118" hammock will just be above the floor. However, the Ultimate Hang calculator says I should put the hardware at 4ft4in. I want to know can I still put the hardware at 5ft then use chain (like Derek uses I n one if his videos) and achieve the correct angle. I really want the correct 30 degree angle so as not to put too much unnecessary stress on my wall studs and the hammock system. I am willing to tie off my hammock shorter if that helps.

(Thank you Dutch, I figured out how to post it took a bit more digging around.)

I appreciate any thoughts.

P.s. Does anyone know why the website the Ultimate Hang is down? Hopefully just a glitch.

Hammock
    DIY 12' MTN 1.3 netless
    Suspension
    Turtle Ties
    Assuming all your measurements are correct (hammock length, distance between anchors, etc) then there's two scenarios

1) The hammock hangs at the height you input to the calculator, but with more sag (less stress on studs, but may be uncomfortable)
    2) you hang at the right angle but the hammock is higher off the ground then intended.

The only way to get both height and sag working would to have a rigid pole holding the ends of the hammock apart.

If you goal is to have them 5' high so your almost 10' hammock doesn't touch the ground when folded in half, are you taking the suspension length into consideration?

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk
    Inventor of Turtle Ties
    Founder of Fugal Innovations, LLC
    fugal-innovations.com

Hammock
    Segmart double
    Tarp
    Still researching
    Insulation
    Still learning
    Suspension
    Carabiners/straps
    By suspension line you mean the line from the hammock to the wall, right? No. The hammock itself is 118" per the manufacturer. The ultimate hang app does not allow me to enter in the height that I want the hardware. The suspension line can be sort of folded in on itself when I put the hammock "away".

Hammock
    Segmart double
    Tarp
    Still researching
    Insulation
    Still learning
    Suspension
    Carabiners/straps

Smile

So if I understand correctly, mounting the hardware at 5' then using longer lines to place the hammock itself at the right height off the ground (18"), the "smile" of the hammock will be deeper? I'm a newbie, thank you for your patience. I want to understand before my husband drills the holes.

Hammock
    Chameleon
    Tarp
    DIY (Olive Oyl)
    Insulation
    [allergic to down]
    Images
    Yes, adding longer lines will make the hammock "smile" deeper, which changes the angle at which the hammock is hanging! It will no longer be at 30 degrees!

I suggest hanging according to the calculator, but also putting up a small hook at 5' to store the hammock when not in use. There will be no weight on it, so you don't need it to be beefy or structural.

Hammock
    Dream Hammock
    Tarp
    UGQ
    Insulation
    UGQ
    I would install eyebolts into your wall at 5ft and hooks at the recommended 4ft 4in. Run the lines as shown in the photo below and you should be able to maintain a good 30 degree angle yet hang you hammock high enough for storage. Hope this crude photo make sense.
    IndoorSleeper.jpg

Images
    Just been using my hang calculator (see attachment), is it just a coincidence that the distance between your walls and the length of your hammock are exactly the same?
    HammockHangCalculator001.xls

If that is the case, you will need to add 9 inches of suspension cord to each end of the hammock (if you want a sit height of 18", a sag of 30° and attachment points at 4'4").

We might be able to offer a bit more help if you told us more measurements, ie distance between walls, preferred sit height, the exact length of you hammock from the ends of the attachment loops, what sort of suspension does it have, etc.
    And is the the distance between walls fixed, or can you go across a corner (that way you could get the perfect distance for your hammock without having to add extra suspension cord).

Hammock
    WBRR, Lots of DIY
    Tarp
    MacCat; Cloudburst
    Insulation
    Lynx, HG T/UQ, AHE
    Suspension
    Varies
    Quote Originally Posted by Rmrcleo View Post
    ... The hammock itself is 118" per the manufacturer...
    FWIW...The actual length of hammocks is frequently less than manufacturers state. Measure your hammock to be sure you have accurate calculations.

Hammock
    Hybrid 1.7 GE, Happy Medium Bridge
    Tarp
    DIY Xenon Winter
    Insulation
    Loco Libre Gear
    Suspension
    All of them! Ugh.
    Images
    Make sure just the hammock fabric is measured when stretched out straight. Do not include the cords (rope) on the ends.

Just an observation, the OP keeps mentioning hammock length, not ridgeline length. I'm just guessing that she is inserting that length into the ridgeline field of the calculator.

Hammock
    Varies
    Tarp
    GargoyleGear Ogee
    Insulation
    UQ-varies w/season
    Suspension
    Dutchgear
    Don't get too hung up on numbers. Find a couple of trees that are as far apart as your walls, hang your hammock at 5', and try it out. You may be pleasantly surprised.
    Dave

"Loneliness is the poverty of self; solitude is the richness of self."~~~May Sarton

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast