Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
    Ooooo..... I like this a lot - especially the height adjustability and that you can hang additional stuff besides a hammock on it.
    I can see using this in my music room/office --- or even the room we have that we use as the grandkids playroom (additional hangout/sleep room).
    I think the grandkids would LOVE to have a hammock or two in there to watch movies and read books in....
    Hmmmm.... Methinks I might have an indoor project coming up in the very near future.

Hammock
    11' 5 O'Clock Shadow
    Tarp
    Indoors
    Insulation
    DIY down throw UQ
    Suspension
    Multibuckle,straps
    Quote Originally Posted by oldgringo View Post
    Grade 5 construction screws, such as SPAX, should allay any concerns.
    If you're like me and you're wondering what SPAX screws are, because your hardware store doesn't carry anything by that name -- it's a brand.

It seems that GRK is an equivalent brand. I also found Hillman Power Pro, which has all the same features as the SPAX and GRK. I'd be interested to know if the Power Pro are considered to be as good as the other two -- but since there are 6 of them carrying the load, I'm not too concerned.

Hammock
    11' 5 O'Clock Shadow
    Tarp
    Indoors
    Insulation
    DIY down throw UQ
    Suspension
    Multibuckle,straps
    Quote Originally Posted by akaCat View Post
    It seems that GRK is an equivalent brand. I also found Hillman Power Pro, which has all the same features as the SPAX and GRK. I'd be interested to know if the Power Pro are considered to be as good as the other two -- but since there are 6 of them carrying the load, I'm not too concerned.
    FYI, it seems that Power Pro is not equivalent to SPAX. I was snugging up the screws last night with a ratchet, and one of them snapped about a 1/2 inch below the head. Since I'm something of a 98 lb weakling, I'm going to say it's the quality of the screw and not the strength of my non-existent biceps.

SO, now I get to rehang that rail. Yay.

Hammock
    Varies
    Tarp
    GargoyleGear Ogee
    Insulation
    UQ-varies w/season
    Suspension
    Dutchgear
    I bought a pair of the double stud fittings because, well, $.99. They are wretched. Very awkward to attach, even with both hands. The single stud fitting, with ring, is my preferred device...very easy to use.

As for screws, the Spax screws proved less than satisfactory. They have a phillips head, are hard to drive, and the head sticks up more than I like. As mentioned in other posts, #10 deck screws work fine, and are more than strong enough. Have doubts? Drive one in, and try to pull it out. I dare you.
    Dave

"Loneliness is the poverty of self; solitude is the richness of self."~~~May Sarton

Hammock
    Chameleon clone
    Tarp
    Cowboy Badlander
    Suspension
    WB Cinch Buckles
    Images
    I bought a pair of the double stud fittings because, well, $.99. They are wretched. Very awkward to attach, even with both hands. The single stud fitting, with ring, is my preferred device...very easy to use.
    How bizarre. I didn’t have any issues using the double-stud fittings. Wonder if you got a bad batch?
    "Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates." -Mark Twain

Hammock
    11' 5 O'Clock Shadow
    Tarp
    Indoors
    Insulation
    DIY down throw UQ
    Suspension
    Multibuckle,straps
    Quote Originally Posted by jcksparow View Post
    How bizarre. I didn’t have any issues using the double-stud fittings. Wonder if you got a bad batch?
    Same here. I had to fiddle with them for a minute to figure out how they work -- it wasn't immediately obvious to me. But once I got it, they're easy as anything.

BTW, I ended up going with GRK screws on the rail I had to rehang, and it's great. The only thing is, the newly hung rail is 100% solid, and the other railing (still holding with the Hillman Power Pro screws) tends to creak just the tiniest bit as I'm getting in and out of the hammock. I'm thinking of replacing those screws with some of the GRK, but would new screws hold as well in the old holes, or am I better off leaving well enough alone?

Unfortunately, completely rehanging that rail isn't an option. Stud's a little too narrow to go to one side or the other, and there's an electrical something or other that I could run into if I flipped the rail over to use the holes in the other orientation.

Hammock
    Varies
    Tarp
    GargoyleGear Ogee
    Insulation
    UQ-varies w/season
    Suspension
    Dutchgear
    It gets better with practice, but the single stud fixture is still much easier.

akaCat, why don't you raise or lower that rail by a fraction. Nobody but you will ever know.
    Dave

"Loneliness is the poverty of self; solitude is the richness of self."~~~May Sarton

Hammock
    11' 5 O'Clock Shadow
    Tarp
    Indoors
    Insulation
    DIY down throw UQ
    Suspension
    Multibuckle,straps
    It gets better with practice, but the single stud fixture is still much easier.

akaCat, why don't you raise or lower that rail by a fraction. Nobody but you will ever know.
    I wish I could, but I'd have to lower it more than I like -- or raise it to an unusable height -- to avoid the electric wires/conduit that the stud finder has warned me about.

Hammock
    Chameleon clone
    Tarp
    Cowboy Badlander
    Suspension
    WB Cinch Buckles
    Images
    Well, this certainly looks familiar...
    "Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates." -Mark Twain

Hammock
    Hammeck Netty
    Tarp
    DWG Xenon Hex
    Insulation
    AHE/EE/LLG/Wiggy's
    Suspension
    Whoopies/Spiders
    Looks like Dutch is selling these now.

Adjustable Wall Anchor

• + New Posts
  • Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast