yes please
    Tarp
    HG cuben w/ doors
    Insulation
    HG Burrow/Phoenix
    Suspension
    kevlar straps

PolyD(utch)

Hey Dutch, why don't you like PolyD very much?

I think it's the most comfortable hammock material you have.

It would be cool if you got psyched about it again.

Hammock
    Dutch 11ft
    Tarp
    UGQ Winter Dream
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Huggers/Muletape
    +1 it should make a come back

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hammock
    Bridgeskin
    Tarp
    DIY Blackcat
    Insulation
    DIY Quilts
    Suspension
    Whoopie sling
    Images
    I liked it but there were characteristics that I felt needed improved on. It was slick and I don't love that about many of the hammock fabrics. You will find that ARGON 1.6 and Hexon fabrics are especially not slick because of my affinity to the cotton like feel of a non slick hammock. Although it had less stretch than nylon, it is weaker. So when you pushed the weight limit of the hammock, it didn't become more uncomfortable because of shoulder squeeze but it did become more uncomfortable from the sudden drop when it would just give out. So it was not a good ultralight option and everyone tries to push those weight limits. When it did fail, it was not a slow release. There was no actual ripstop on the hammock as I thought there was. The diamond pattern of PolyD and NylonD look deceivingly like ripstop, but when you look at it under a microscope you will find it is just a weave and that weave actually weakened the fabric. This was a big deal to me because I felt like I was deceiving the customer. But the number one reason for not liking polyester hammocks is the static. The hammock was light but the grounding wire you had to carry weighed a ton. I like to camp in the winter and when you got that thing is dry air the lightning bolts from the static discharge would wake you from the flashing. If you had hair it would stand straight out like the professor on Back to the Future. And all that static would attract dirt to the hammock. It actually held itself open with out tie outs and with no body in the hammock. Beside those things, I thought it was a complete success.
    Peace Dutch
    GA>ME 2003

www.MakeYourGear.com
    http://dutchwaregear.com[/URL]
    Visit Dutchwaregear on facebook (and like it)
    Check us out on Twitter @dutchwaregear

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    So no more polyester, Dutch? I'd sure like to see a PolyD1.4 replacement - it is really comfortable. Some of us like the minimal stretch. My PolyD 1.4 hammock is holding up fine, and I've got a spare. Then again, I'm only 165 lbs. so I'm not putting much strain on the hammock.

I never had a problem with static after the first night. Once the PolyD gets a little sweaty man on it, for me the static goes away!
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Hammock
    WBBB SL 1.7
    Tarp
    WB Mamajamba
    Insulation
    WB 0° Wooki +3oz
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Images
    +1 about the slickness and the static electricity. The nightly light shows were certainly spectacular

I did like the amount of stretch the 1.4oz PolyD had, though. I made a hammock from 1.6oz Ripstop Polyester, and that felt like sleeping on a slab of concrete. I don't like stretch, but it turned out that a little bit is needed for comfort. The 1.4oz PolyD had that.

The main reason why I gave up on PolyD was that it was too narrow. The widest hammock I was able to make from 1.4oz PolyD was about 58.5" - which works OKish for a nylon hammock. But the slippery fabric paired with the little stretch had my body sliding towards a 90° angle. My head and feet always slipped over the edges during the night. I think a 70" wide PolyD hammock could have been very comfortable.

Hammock
    Chameleon
    Tarp
    HG Dyneema
    Insulation
    HG UQ, Custom TQ
    Suspension
    Yes
    Dutch, tell us how you really feel and stop beating around the bush..

Quote Originally Posted by Dutch View Post
    I liked it but there were characteristics that I felt needed improved on. It was slick and I don't love that about many of the hammock fabrics. You will find that ARGON 1.6 and Hexon fabrics are especially not slick because of my affinity to the cotton like feel of a non slick hammock. Although it had less stretch than nylon, it is weaker. So when you pushed the weight limit of the hammock, it didn't become more uncomfortable because of shoulder squeeze but it did become more uncomfortable from the sudden drop when it would just give out. So it was not a good ultralight option and everyone tries to push those weight limits. When it did fail, it was not a slow release. There was no actual ripstop on the hammock as I thought there was. The diamond pattern of PolyD and NylonD look deceivingly like ripstop, but when you look at it under a microscope you will find it is just a weave and that weave actually weakened the fabric. This was a big deal to me because I felt like I was deceiving the customer. But the number one reason for not liking polyester hammocks is the static. The hammock was light but the grounding wire you had to carry weighed a ton. I like to camp in the winter and when you got that thing is dry air the lightning bolts from the static discharge would wake you from the flashing. If you had hair it would stand straight out like the professor on Back to the Future. And all that static would attract dirt to the hammock. It actually held itself open with out tie outs and with no body in the hammock. Beside those things, I thought it was a complete success.

Hammock
    DIY Bic bridge, WBBB
    Tarp
    WB Cloudburst
    Insulation
    Jarbidge/Owyhee
    Suspension
    cinch buckle
    Images
    FYI everybody, I'll be selling my lightly used PolyD 1.4 hammock in the near future (within the next month, I'd say).

Hammock
    Dutch,SLD
    Tarp
    Superfly,Tadpole
    Insulation
    HG,UGQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    The nylonD is my favorite hammock material. Second is the polyD. Someday I will try the new fabrics, but is gonna take a while to wear out my "vintage" Dutch fabrics.

Hammock
    yes please
    Tarp
    HG cuben w/ doors
    Insulation
    HG Burrow/Phoenix
    Suspension
    kevlar straps
    Thanks Dutch for your carefully chosen words. Looking forward to more of your Doc Brown mad scientist hammock lab creations. I'm confident you can create something worthy of the Dutchware name for the Polyester crowd.

Quote Originally Posted by Dutch View Post

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast