Dutch Hex 1.0 11' foot
    Tarp
    Purple Xenon DIY
    Insulation
    Loco Libre Hab
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckle

Initial impressions of the Tato Hammock Stand

Well, I have to say that I received the Tato hammock stand and overall, I am impressed. It is very sturdy. It looks good. It is pretty easy to set up. I do expect to get plenty of good use out of it.

Here is one of my older and shorter Dutch hammocks with a whoopie sling at the head and the foot end connected with the continuous loop to the biner.

Here I have added an old A-frame tarp with trekking poles to create a porch (I also cut the grass between pictures :-)

Now to my only problem with how I received the stand. It is the small cording used to fix the tarp to the stand.

I didn't take a picture with the original cord attached to the stand, but here is what happened. When I was attaching the tarp and tightening it to remove the slack of the continuous ridgeline, the loop located at the foot-end came undone. It didn't break. The cord was basically attached with an overhand knot with some shrink-tube over the top of the knot. I don't think the tubbing over either end of the cord was heated to shrink around the knot. So, to field fix the problem, I just tied a square knot once I reinstalled the cord and it worked just fine. But, I knew that was only a short-term solution.

So, my problems with this set-up. One, there are better knot options that wouldn't slip and come undone. Second, if you are going to use the shrink tubbing, then make sure it is fixed tightly around the knot, so that it actually protects the knot from coming undone. For what this hammock stand costs, I think this is the very least that could be done. My solution is what I would actually prefer.

Basically, I removed the original cord and used 1.75mm dyneema to create a continuous loop. Easy enough fix and like I said, for what the stand costs, I think this is an obvious and realistic solution. Yes, a little more time to install, but I think it will be a much stronger solution that matches the quality of the hammock stand.

If you get a hammock stand with the original set-up, I would recommend making this modification, because I think the original cords will fail over time. Because of the way it feeds through the ends of the center pole (4 holes each end), you will need to take the dyneema and make the continuous loops, it won't work to just buy a continuous loop and try to install it.

I haven't set the hammock stand up and installed the tarp with the new loops, but I don't see anyway that it won't work. They are the same diameter as the original and unlike the original, you can move the loop completely throughout the tube. Because of the knot and shrink tubbing, you couldn't move the knot through the holes due to the knot/tubbing size.

My thoughts: Great hammock stand. Glad I got it. Now that this hiccup is fixed, I am looking forward to using it all the time.

Hammock
    Dutchware 11' netless hexon 1.0
    Tarp
    Superfly or Edge
    Insulation
    KAQ UQ / TQ
    Suspension
    Straps & Whoopies
    As another new user of this stand, I agree on many points. First and foremost, I agree that it's a great stand.

I also, however, agree about the shrink tubing. Mine didn't fail, but it did slip off the knot, and I had to put it back. I expect to replace it.

I did, however, have a split ring fail on one of the tie outs, and replaced it with a lash-it continuous loop, larks headed in place, with a Dutch Flea on each to connect some reflect-it guyline. I will probably modify it to have some shock cord in the system, but it has survived a few severe thunderstorms in my back yard, tarp on, and me in the house, so I trust it now.

Also, not relevant to me, as I don't plan on entering my stand in any beauty pageants, but the paint/coating/whatever came pre-eroded a few months ago, and isn't getting any better. As I live in the Hotlanta area, this is a plus. Black metal in the summer sun is not a good thing, and I hope it goes fully silver sooner than later, but someone may care.

All that said, I am pretty darned happy with the stand. I am used to modding my gear, so none of the above caused me grief, but this is a high $$$ item, and someone out there may care at that price point, so giving full disclosure.

Oh...the one thing I really would have liked are better instructions. For instance, what is the right way to adjust the safety straps, and is there any earthly reason not to leave them permanently attached?
    Last edited by MadUncleAndy; 07-25-2017 at 17:24.

• + New Posts